Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:51 AM   #1

Since upgrading my Photoshop version from CS2 to CS4, I purchased a book by Scott Kelby that gives some great instruction on how to achieve certain effects. One such combines Layering with Gaussian Blur and adding a vignetting effect with the rectangular marquee tool and is a great way to process portraits or other suitable subjects.

The first few times I've tried it, I had to follow his directions pretty closely, but eventually worked out some ofmy ownvariables, mainly due to the different typesharpening I do to my files in Adobe Camera RAWthan Mr. Kelby does prior to starting the Photoshop portion of the process. If anyone's interested in knowing the step by step process I went through, just let me know and I'll post it here.

I took this just a few days ago with my E520 and 70-300 Zuiko..

This next image was shot in Luxembourg Gardens in Paris. E300 and 50-200 Zuiko.

My lady friend, taken in Parc Monceau in Paris, with my E300 and 50-200 Zuiko.

Another image shot in Parc Monceau, Paris, with my E300 and 50-200 Zuiko.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2009, 6:27 AM   #2

Hi Greg,

You're really having fun aren't you?

Between the recently acquired E520, the new 9-18 lens and the software, your level of enthusiasm clearly comes through in your posts. Keep it up because I really enjoy seeing your results.

As for the photos, I don't know what the originals looked like so don't have a basis for comparison. Having said that, these look -as usual- simply wonderful.

You continue to reinforce the fact that a camera isjust a tool. It's the person holding the camera that determines the quality of the output.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:06 AM   #3

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg,

You're really having fun aren't you?

Between the recently acquired E520, the new 9-18 lens and the software, your level of enthusiasm clearly comes through in your posts. Keep it up because I really enjoy seeing your results.
Quote:
It has been a lot of fun. More than anything, the speed of this new machine makes playing with this stuff easy because everything goes so fast. Photoshop just labored on that old laptop I was using.

As for the photos, I don't know what the originals looked like so don't have a basis for comparison. Having said that, these look -as usual- simply wonderful.

Thanks, Zig. Here are the originals of the three Paris Images. I don't think I've loaded the first image to my site.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 8:29 AM   #4

Hi Greg,

Thanks for taking the time to post the three originals. Of the three, the image of the roses appears to show the most change(to my tired eyes).I agree that the blurring technique does improve the image. The originalphotos of your lady friend and the last image are just great and I can't really see as significant adifference,

I'd certainly be quite happy with all of them.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote