Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 7, 2009, 7:22 PM   #1

Budget is such that I have just enough money to purchase a Zuiko digital 25mm f2.8 lens. Will this lens be useful as a portrait (head shots and head & shoulder shots)? Please do not comment on the lightweight, compactness, etc. of this lens. I am trying to figure out if there would be any difference between the 14-42mm and this lens when it comes to portraits. Thanks for your help.
garys17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2009, 8:09 PM   #2

When the 25mm f2.8 was first released, I was interested in it for it's compact size. So I did a fair amount of research on it and found that the I.Q. is generally on par with and no better than the 14 -42mm lens (which is no slouch). So, if you have the 14-42mm, you wont gain anything in IQ terms.

Additionally, with the 14-42mm, you get the benefit of being able to zoom in closer to your subject, thereby being better able to fill the frame with your subject's face, head, etc.

One other point to consider is that with portrait's you'll want the background to be out of focus as much as possible and in a pleasing fashion. The 25mm f2.8 isn't noted for having a pleasant 'out of focus' background.

Ultimately, I saved my pennies and decided to buy the 14-54mm ZDlens. A superior lens with a great deal more flexibility and very adept at portraits.

Another lens to consider, if you're serious about portraits is the 50mm f2.0 ZDmacro. It is a beautiful lens for head shots and at a street price of 450 dollars, the best deal Olympus has in lenses.

Good luck

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2009, 8:15 PM   #3

Sure it would work, with some adjustments to make up for the typical issues you have shooting a portrait with a lens that has this field of view.

For a head and shoulder shot, you'd need to move in fairly close to the subject and you would want the background a little ways behind your subject to cause it to go at least a little out of focus. the speed at f2.8 would definitely be an advantage compared to the aperture of the 14-42 zoomed to 25mm, which is f4.7.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2009, 9:23 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. I will save a little longer and get the 50mm.
garys17 is offline   Reply With Quote