Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 9, 2009, 4:37 PM   #11

gjtoth wrote:
Quote:

That's what I'm lookin' for! Excellent captures, Zig.

What about Sigma stuff? Anything there that might work comparably? How about a teleconverter (extender)?
I have no personal experience with Sigma lenses so, I can't make any recommendations from personal experience. There is speculation, however, that the Olympus 70-300mm ZD lens is actually made by Sigma for Olympus. The Sigma 70-300mm lens is virtually identical to the Olympus 70-300mm.

Also, I have read on numerous forums' that Sigma's quality control can be somewhat inconsistent.

Olympus makes 2 teleconverters an EC-14 which extends the focal length by a factor of 1.4 and an EC-20 which doubles the focal length. I do know that the 1.4 teleconverter works with all Olympus lenses. It does add 1 stop to the arperture. It is a highly rated teleconverter and I beleive a number of forum members use it in conjunction with their 50-200mm lens. It actually makes a dynamite combination as it essentially gives you an effective focal length of 540mm -in 35mm terms. As importantly, it doesnt' degrade the quality of the image.

One point about focusing. I'm not sure, but it looks to me as if you may have the AF (AUTO FOCUS) set to Auto. Set your AF to use just the center focus point and then ensure that you locate the center point on the part of the image that you want to be in focus.

Here's a link to a gallery of bird photos taken with the 50-200mm without the aid of an EC-14. http://www.pbase.com/zig123/50200mm

Zig

BTW, I think your photos are improving.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 6:19 PM   #12

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
gjtoth wrote:
Quote:

That's what I'm lookin' for! Excellent captures, Zig.

What about Sigma stuff? Anything there that might work comparably? How about a teleconverter (extender)?
I have no personal experience with Sigma lenses so, I can't make any recommendations from personal experience. There is speculation, however, that the Olympus 70-300mm ZD lens is actually made by Sigma for Olympus. The Sigma 70-300mm lens is virtually identical to the Olympus 70-300mm.

Also, I have read on numerous forums' that Sigma's quality control can be somewhat inconsistent.

Olympus makes 2 teleconverters an EC-14 which extends the focal length by a factor of 1.4 and an EC-20 which doubles the focal length. I do know that the 1.4 teleconverter works with all Olympus lenses. It does add 1 stop to the arperture. It is a highly rated teleconverter and I beleive a number of forum members use it in conjunction with their 50-200mm lens. It actually makes a dynamite combination as it essentially gives you an effective focal length of 540mm -in 35mm terms. As importantly, it doesnt' degrade the quality of the image.

One point about focusing. I'm not sure, but it looks to me as if you may have the AF (AUTO FOCUS) set to Auto. Set your AF to use just the center focus point and then ensure that you locate the center point on the part of the image that you want to be in focus.

Here's a link to a gallery of bird photos taken with the 50-200mm without the aid of an EC-14. http://www.pbase.com/zig123/50200mm

Zig

BTW, I think your photos are improving.
Thanks once again, Zig. I am set on center focus. Maybe I'll be more accurate once I get the bigger reach. :-)
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 7:05 PM   #13

Hi Gary,
It's Eric, you may remember me from the Oly Forum. I had the 560 when you got the 570 and now like yourself I jumped up to a dslr the 510. I'm holding out for one of three, the 70 300, the sigma 135 400 or 50 500. The bigma is huge but to get the zoom you and I are used to with our SP's with tcons we will need larger lenses. I think I would like for IQ the 50 500, but for ease of use the 70 300 with a possible 1.4 converter. Either way it's funny we both moved to dslr's at the same time.
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 7:17 PM   #14

eharrim wrote:
Quote:
Hi Gary,
It's Eric, you may remember me from the Oly Forum. I had the 560 when you got the 570 and now like yourself I jumped up to a dslr the 510. I'm holding out for one of three, the 70 300, the sigma 135 400 or 50 500. The bigma is huge but to get the zoom you and I are used to with our SP's with tcons we will need larger lenses. I think I would like for IQ the 50 500, but for ease of use the 70 300 with a possible 1.4 converter. Either way it's funny we both moved to dslr's at the same time.
Eric
I sure DO remember you, Eric. How good of you to remember ME!

At some point when I can afford it, I'll probably get one of those big honkin' things. I retired Feb. 1st so, I'll have to do a closet cleaning and sell stuf on CraigsList or eBay to get the cash!

My carry-around camera is a Nikon P-90. The E-410 is staying pretty much welded to the tripod at the feeding station. I still can't see needing a pack mule to take a walk-about heheh

Good to hear from you!
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:03 AM   #15

What did you do with the 570 ? Do you like the P 90 better ? I still have great luck with the 560 but wanted to get a little more IQ. However since I bought the 510 off ebay with only the 14 42 I found out immeditately that it's going to take at least the 70 300 possibly with the 1.4 to satisfy my need for zooooom.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:02 PM   #16

Hi Guys

For newbie SLRs I think your doing just fine... your bird shots are better than anything that I've taken to date!

Lenswise, the 70-300 looks to be a real steal for the money esp for the reach and IQ that it gives you. If you can get the 50-200 + TC then you'll be stepping up in IQ from the 70-300 and also in comparison to the equivalent Sigma lenses. I've seen a lot of people want Oly to release a 300mm or 4000mm F4 and it would be pretty much perfect for those that need the reach but can't afford the costs of the 300f2.8!

Cheers

Harj

:? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 2:57 PM   #17

eharrim wrote:
Quote:
What did you do with the 570 ? Do you like the P 90 better ? I still have great luck with the 560 but wanted to get a little more IQ. However since I bought the 510 off ebay with only the 14 42 I found out immeditately that it's going to take at least the 70 300 possibly with the 1.4 to satisfy my need for zooooom.
I have the 570 up on CraigsList. Interested? Overall, I like the Nikon better. It's MUCH faster focusing and on start-up. In low/no light, it locks right on focus without missing a beat. I posted some shots in the Nikon P&S forum. It's not as fast as the 410/510 for sure but, it's fast! The zoom is FAST although I do miss the zoom ring on the 570. IQ is better on the Nikon. The monster reach (24x) is outrageous! With 4-way IS, I can pretty much shoot without a tripod at full optical zoom (depending on ISO, shutter speed, etc.) although, I DO use a mono/tripod. It's about the same size as the 510 and has many of the same features. I'm not wild about the menu system but, I think it's because I've been using Oly stuff for a while now that I'll have to get used to the Nikon. Like the 570, NO lens threads. Not even for an adapter tube. That means no TCON. Not that you really need it with 24x heheheh Would I recommend it over the 570? Yes. For a carry-around camera, especially.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 3:03 PM   #18

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Guys

For newbie SLRs I think your doing just fine... your bird shots are better than anything that I've taken to date!

Lenswise, the 70-300 looks to be a real steal for the money esp for the reach and IQ that it gives you. If you can get the 50-200 + TC then you'll be stepping up in IQ from the 70-300 and also in comparison to the equivalent Sigma lenses. I've seen a lot of people want Oly to release a 300mm or 4000mm F4 and it would be pretty much perfect for those that need the reach but can't afford the costs of the 300f2.8!

Cheers

Harj

:? :O

Thanks very much for your thoughts, Harj. I'm soaking up as much as I can as fast as I can :? I've picked up a SIGMA ZOOM-K II 1:4.5 F=70-210mm from eBay before I knew what the heck I was doing. It's an OM mount and I now realize I need an adapter and it will only do manual focus. Oh, well. Not a total loss, I suppose. $25 is not a huge sum... right now. I've been very lucky in finding near steals on the web. Perhaps I'll stumble onto one of the big guys at a good price.

Thanks for the compliments on my birds, too!