Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 9, 2009, 1:12 PM   #1

Hi All

If you weren;t aware, Oly have released a 1.4 firmware update to the E3 (glad I held off from the 1.3 update). By all accounts the 1.4 update provides a real improvement to the camera's AF, so I'll be updating my E3 fairly soon .

Cheers

Harj

:O :?

Update: Looks as if theres been a big improvement with AF for most lenses except the 14-35F2, which is still showing problems focusing but then again its having issues with all camera's so its more of an issue with the lens.

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2009, 2:34 PM   #2

Hi,
I just udated: While under firmware 1.3 I was disappointed (in contrast to firmware 1.1 and 1,2 !), since using the 14-54 and the 11-20, AF speed reminded me more and more on the E-1 (these two steps of focusing were more pronounced), now the performance is great, again.
Also nice: The user settings remained.
I am happy now, because I was worrying if there was kind of a market-strategy to sell more SWD lenses.
I highly recommend this upgrade!
Martin
barann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 4:41 PM   #3

Hi Harj,

Aahhh!, but I only wish I had an E-3 to update! Maybe someday:?

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 6:17 PM   #4

...........yes, v.1.4 restored AF speed on my E-3.

Actually, with the 50-200 non SWD it seems to be quicker than I ever recall prior to v.1.3. Anyway, v.1.4 AF is comfortably quick again.

I did the v.1.3 update based on the discussion for bettering the C-AF but then when using C-AF I got such mixed results regarding focus that it was disappointing and then I realized S-AF was not the same as before that update.

I was hesitant to do this update tonight because I am leaving in the morning for a 5 hour trip to West Texas and will be shooting two HS baseball games............ I do have the E-300 and made the commitment to use it if this update went bad, buuuutttttt! with the E-3 focus speed and purity back to E-3 standard I am happy once again.

Like Martin said, The user settings remained as set in the camera and I too recommend this upgrade, especially if your E-3 is currently at v.1.3

hi Harj & Zig......
_________
boBBrennan

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 6:50 AM   #5

Hey Bob, Zig, Martin

Upgraded the E3 last night to 1.4 - glad I did hold back from the 1.3 update. First impressions in good light the focusing is faster, esp with the 35-100F2, in real low light it still struggled but in moderate to good .. fast and accurate. Now if they had left an AF assist lamp on the new generation of cam's I'd think the AF system in low light would be even better.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O

Update: Just noticed that my E'3 lost of my settings after the update .. :P
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 4:32 PM   #6

Hi all,
I just had some more tries with the new firmware and got another surprise:
my Sigma 1.4 / 30 focuses now on the spot at once! Before, it took two steps and sometimes a had to try a second time.
Seems that AF speed and lens-to-body communication is optimized.
Martin
barann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2009, 1:17 AM   #7

I've just updated to 1.4.

I was ok with the E-3's AF out of the box, and I did the 1.1 firmware.

I skipped the 1.2 because it only improved WB supposedly.

The 1.3 actually had fanfare. They announced the thing about a month ahead. I did that one, but it seemed the camera hunted more with all lenses. I could still focus well with good light, but I'd have gone back to 1.1 if they gave me a chance.

Now I get to find out how it does now. Fingers crossed.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2009, 7:32 AM   #8

Please do note that as in the past firmware updates, it does a factory reset so be sure tokeep a record of any customization you've done. This is a real irritant, especially if you want to set the JPEG compression to minimal ("superfine") since that is located in a real obtuse place in the menu system, not in the Record Mode menu where it should be. Anf if you have set up both of thevery handy My Modes, you will have to set them up again.

End of Rant (grin)

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2009, 8:14 AM   #9

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
Please do note that as in the past firmware updates, it does a factory reset so be sure tokeep a record of any customization you've done. This is a real irritant, especially if you want to set the JPEG compression to minimal ("superfine") since that is located in a real obtuse place in the menu system, not in the Record Mode menu where it should be. Anf if you have set up both of thevery handy My Modes, you will have to set them up again.

End of Rant (grin)

Ted
The good news on this update is that if your currently at 1.3, the settinge are retained.

From all accounts, if you skipped the 1.3 update and are on 1.0, 1.1 or 1.2, the settings will be wipped out.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2009, 8:23 AM   #10

Aha! I skipped 1.3. Thanks for letting me know, since out of frustration I was pondering whether to buy Olympus Studio (which is supposed to be able tosave the camera settings). Since I don't really need another image editing app, you just saved me $100.

Ted

PS: I'm surprised that it can do that now, since the upgrade over-writes the previous firmware. I wonder if they reworked Olympus Master to save the settings first.

PPS: This update also fixes the E3 problem with the Leica 25mm f/1.4 - it now will go down to f/1.4 instead of stopping at f/1.8 Wooohooo!
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote