Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 13, 2009, 3:44 AM   #1

Is there any 'gotchas' when buy second hand Zuiko 4/3 lenses ?

My reason for asking is regarding the two focusing systems used in recent E series cameras (including my E-520 I think). I got some partial info suggesting old lenses not working in one mode or the other.

Martin
mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2009, 4:50 AM   #2

There are 2 very good resources on the web for everything and anything to do with Olympus cameras providing a wealth of information including info on lenses.

The links specific to your question are:

http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/omz_e330.html

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/any-lens.html

There is also a very good site relative to Minolta lenses as well:

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/olympus.htm

My own favorite is the 2nd site Wrotniak.net.. Andrjez Wrotniak provides a wide range of technicalinformation relative to digital camera made by Olympus. It's a great reference site and well worth reading.

As for the gotchas, my own experience is that the prime OM Zuiko lenses are the best to use while the zoom typically give the poorest results. I have the 50mm f1.7 and 135mm f3.5. Both are relatively inexpensive yet are very sharp. I've used the 135mm as a portrait lens with good results. I also have a few Konica Hexano lenses that give good results.

One thing to note, if you've ever used a 35mm slr camera, then you are accustomed to manualy focusing a camera as well as using the arpeture ring on the lens. You mentioned in a previous post that you have both Minolta and Pentax lenses, so it should be second nature to you.

The things to understand are that the optical viewfinder on the E-520 is small as compared to a typical 35mm slr camera. If you wear glasses as I do, you may have some trouble focusing the lens properly. Liveview will help with that (in static subject situations).

secondly, all legacy lenses will have to be used in manual mode since the camera doesn't communicate with the lens-no auto focus. The adapters with an auto focus confirmchiphelp.Image stabilization will work thanks to a firmware update, but you just have to set that manually.

For me, the biggest stumbling block is the OPV is small and getting the lens properly focused with my tired eyes is frustrating.

Good luck

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 5:38 AM   #3

Thanks Zig,
Thanks for the links, I'll tag them for reading as soon as work permits again.

I did ask about old lenses in another post, but in this one I was trying to be specific about just the ZD 4/3 lenses, old and new. I did some reading earlier today that showed at least one of the older 40-150 ZD lenses is superior optically to the new compact, but I didn't quite workout if it still handled both focus modes in the E-520.

I'll take your subtle hint about doing more reading and less posting questions.
I've been making a pig of myself on this forum today :-)

Martin
mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 6:58 AM   #4

Hi Martin,

I actually did missread your post. Didn't have my 2nd cup of coffee yet:?Sorry about that.

As for the ZD 40-150 original lens. It is considered by many to be a superior lens to the latest version as well asbeing a bit faster. The earlier version is bigger, heavier while the latest is small and light. Optically, both lenses are fine. I had the smaller version and sold it when I bought a 50-200mm lens.

As for the links to Wrotniak and Bios websites, that actually wasn't a subtle hint to stop posting. On the contrary, both sites will really answer a lot of questions that you currently have and a lot of questions you haven't yet considered. They will both help shorten the learning curve as well as make suggestions as to how to get the most out of your camera.

One other resource that I haven't yet mentioned is using the search engine on this site. There is a ton of information in the archives here that all of us tend to overlook from time to time.

Good luck and keep posting!

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote