Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 13, 2009, 4:40 AM   #1

OK, so I've not actually priced OEM flash units locally yet, but normally they are quite expensive (base on my old Minolta OEM !).

So I beg the question, what of the plethora of cheap Chinese units on Ebay actually work fully on the E series ?
E-520 in particular.

Martin
mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2009, 6:05 PM   #2

Hi Martin

I've not even considered any of the non Oly/Pana or Metz flashes for on camera use at all. now if your looking to use them off camera aka strobist with remotes then Id say they;d be fine but if your going on camera I;d stick to the OEM flashes or the ones from Metz.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 4:22 AM   #3

Thanks Harj.

Do the non genuine ones cause trouble ?

Since the old Minolta one I have only works fairly crudely in manual I might as well make a slave control for it. The info for that is out on the WWW already, pre-flash learning mode and all !

Still it would be nice if a there was a $50AU china flash that worked on it (proper metering etc)...

Martin

Edit: Now that I RTFM, it says there 'may' be damage if the non-genuine flash data connectors try to signal to the E-520...
Old Apr 15, 2009, 7:48 AM   #4

I used this one from Adorama http://www.adorama.com/FAB.html both on and off my SP570UZ. Took a bit of getting used to, but worked great. Haven't tried it out on my E-410. Since I used it on my SP570UZ with no ill effects, do you think it's safe on my E-410?
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:46 AM   #5

gjtoth wrote:
Quote:
I used this one from Adorama http://www.adorama.com/FAB.html both on and off my SP570UZ. Took a bit of getting used to, but worked great. Haven't tried it out on my E-410. Since I used it on my SP570UZ with no ill effects, do you think it's safe on my E-410?
It should work. It's just a plain vanilla, non-dedicated, non-TTL auto flash like Vivitar 283's of the past. Being a current model, there should be no issues working as such on an E410.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 2:18 PM   #6

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
gjtoth wrote:
Quote:
It should work. It's just a plain vanilla, non-dedicated, non-TTL auto flash like Vivitar 283's of the past. Being a current model, there should be no issues working as such on an E410.
Thanks, Greg. I didn't think there would be a problem but it never hurts to check around.

gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 3:55 PM   #7

This is always a good site to have in your favorites..

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Some older auto flash units can fry the electronics of manycurrent digital cameras. This site has a lot of good information.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009, 5:15 AM   #8

Unfortunately I can't buy an Oly or Metz, they are out of my price range.
I see some affordable flashes on Ebay under the 'Speedlite' name. They claim to be TTL compatible with the E-series.

Anybody tried one on an E series camera or other compatible Oly ?
Old May 6, 2009, 11:01 PM   #9

I did buy one off ebay for 70 bucks a year back. Its throwing your money away pretty much. I did recently buy Oly F-50 and let me tell you. That has been the best investment I have made alongside of buying the external battery.
The cheapy doesnt provide much flash and is doesnt have a decent recharge time. Its reloads are 20 secs plus. Which with what I shoot most of the time can not do.
Save your money and buy the better one.
The flash on the camera is better than the after markets. There is 2 things you can do. I used a decent size white card to difuse and or bounce your flash on the camera or buy an attachment that does that.

Last edited by DAHRAZIEL; May 7, 2009 at 5:25 PM.
DAHRAZIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 3:20 AM   #10

Thanks. I think I won't spend the money then on either. I can't justify spending the same again as the body on an Oly flash (F-50). As an electronics type person I struggle to see how they could retail for so much. Never mind, I do have a nice old Minolta flash and the knowhow to build a slave module for it. Might even hack it and fit it inside.
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Last edited by mr.sneezy; May 10, 2009 at 3:55 AM.