Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 15, 2009, 5:34 AM   #11

fldspringer wrote: .

I'm wondering how useful the art filters will be for Zig. I've seen some interesting pics that seem like it would take a LOT of PP to get the same look. Inquiring minds want to know!

Greg

Hi Greg,

Until you just mentioned it, I had considered the Art Filters feature at all. Primarily, because, I think, in order to have anything good come out at allyou need to have a goodimagination, Something I don't have.But you've got me thinking. I'll have to give them a try.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 11:50 AM   #12

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg,

Until you just mentioned it, I had considered the Art Filters feature at all. Primarily, because, I think, in order to have anything good come out at allyou need to have a goodimagination, Something I don't have.But you've got me thinking. I'll have to give them a try.

Zig
I believe there's a filter that gives a vignetting effect that might work well with your bird photography. Shoot RAW+JPEG to give yourself the option of working with the filters, yet have a clean RAW file if you like the image but don't like what the filter did to the JPEG.

I can definitely agree with Greg's comment on what it takes in post-processing to copy what some of those filters do, having tried a few different newthings these past few weeks in Photoshop.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:15 PM   #13

.............hey Zig, congratulations getting the E-30. I don't have anything to add but to say, "Do Have Fun and give us some evidence of it ASAP".

BTW, I did the road trip last weekend with the E-3 50-200 1/2 day two days and I must say, "to me it ain't a load, I too have large & stout hands and at the end of 200 shots I barely know I've handled that combo for so long. However, when I do setup the E-300 I realize just how comparably large/weight the E-3 actually is.

Hope you get the machine soon.........................
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 1:08 PM   #14

Hi Bob,

And, thanks.

After having said that the E3 is too big in an earlier reply, I'm not sure just exactly how much smaller the E30 really is in practical terms as compared to the E3. The chart below shows dimensions for the latest dslr's.

Model
Width [mm]
Height [mm]
Weight [g]

Olympus E-620

Olympus E-520

Olympus E-3

Olympus E-30

Nikon D90

Canon 50D

As you can see, the E3is significantly heavier but the overall dimensions aren't radically different between the two. I'm sure the weight has to do with the weathersealing aspects of the E3. My hands, tooare on the large size. So size really isn't going to be an issue(at least I don't think so).

I have to admit that I took a leap of faith and ordered it without actually handling one. I based my assumptions relative to the size on all the articles I've read. I then came upon the chart above on Wrotniak's site(gotta luv the guy-he's so detailed). One thing I do know, the E30 will be heavier than my E-510.But it should balance nicely with the 50-200mm lens. I find the E-510 so light that when the 50-200mm is mounted to it, I really graband holdthe lenscradled in my hand and just use the right hand to activate the shutter release.

And don't worry, all you guys will be regretting that you ever asked me to post photos. :?

On another note, I'm not sure what the reason is, but the pricing for both theE520 and E30 have been reduced. The E-520 is selling at Adorama @360.00 while the E30 is selling @ 1049 on Amazon.com.

Seems like a great time to upgrade.

P.S. post some pics of your trip to Midland.

Zig

Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:40 AM   #15

Zig - did you receive the E30 yet?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 1:45 PM   #16

Hi Ted,

No, the E30 hasn't been shipped yet. Guess they've had a run on them since the price reduction. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas to arrive.It can't arrive soon enough.

I ordered it on Monday the 13th and they tell me the camera should be shipped on the 20th.

regards,

Zig
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:35 PM   #17

Hi all,

The E-30 just arrived. Yahoooooo!!

I just finished taking it out of the carton and took my first pictures with it. Boy, is it wonderful to have another Olympus camera. I didn't have to charge the battery-just popped in the one from my E-510 and was up and running-sort of.

The controls are rather different than any previous Eseries camera I've owned. But thankfully, the menu system looks pretty much like what I'm used to.

First impressions:

Beautifully built! feels really solid. Also, significantly larger than my E-510 but very comfortable in the hand. Much larger OPV than what I've been used to. Don't know how it compares with the E-3. But it sure a pleasure to look thru and be able to see clearly without squinting. Nice diopter adjustment. The information display at the bottom of the OPV is a pleasure to be able to see. On the E-510 I never even bothered to look at it because I had to look at the right side of the screen to see anything. It was simplytoo much work to see it.

Lots of buttons and all of them in different places than what I'm used to. LCD screen, big and bright.

One thing I do know already, this thing is fast. It focuses way faster with my 50-200 than the E-510 does. Also, frames per second- is so much better than what I've been used to.

I've got a honey do list to complete today so I can't play with it very much this afternoon. But I'm going to put it thru it's paces tomorrow.

I have a lot to learn and a lot of reading to go over in the manual. I'll try and post some photos from the E30 over the weekend.

BTW, I bought the Camera from Henry's Photo in Canada. I originally ordered thru Vistek but they were having delivery problems and couldn't seem to get any cameras into inventory. I cancelled with them, largelybecause they couldn't commit to a shipping dateand placed an order on Monday of this week with Henry's. It was shipped yeasterday and arrived this morning by UPS. Expedited shipping was 35.00. All in all, a very positive experience and I would not hesitate to order from them again.

Zig

Old Apr 24, 2009, 1:44 PM   #18

The five frames per second would be a huge boost for me...I'm headed to the horse track this Sunday and the faster rate would sure get you a lot more images to choose from in shooting a burst as the pack went by. 2-3 years ago I went to a Photoshop day class taught by Rick Sammon. Canon reps were there with most of that system and I had to try the 10 frames per second burst rate of a 1D series camera...that was quite impressive to listen to as I held down the release.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 3:19 PM   #19

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Hi all,

The E-30 just arrived. Yahoooooo!!
Woohooo!

Keep us informed!

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 4:58 PM   #20

.............yipppeeee! I can hardly wait Zig, new toys are always such fun.

Yes, you will like the 'burst speed' I think. Now that I am used to the E-3 it doesn't seem all that fast but when I first changed from the E-300 I could hardly control the finger down rip. Now it is just plain fun for doing those shots I make during a ballgame. I can't imagine how it works for birds so let us see. The quicker AF is worth getting used to as well.

Greg, it's maybe gonna rain at Lone Star tomorrow so you might get some exciting mudders to post.

I am looking forward to both your new posts.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote