Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 13, 2009, 8:02 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,145
Default

Well,

I finally bit the bullet and ordered an Olympus E30 body today. Seriously thought about getting the new E620. The determing factor was the size of the OPV. If I was going to buy another body, it had to have an OPV larger than the one found in the E-510. While the E620's viewfinder is larger, it's not appreciably larger - at least not as far as I'm concerned.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it. It's now a hurry up and wait situation.:?

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2009, 9:06 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,901
Default

Congrats zig. I know you will have a ball with it.


Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 11:22 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

Great camera! You'll have tons of fun with that. I wanna see some shots from Fenway.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 5:40 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,145
Default

Thanks Steven/Greg,

I'm excited with possibilities the new camera presents. It will be interesting to compare the performanceof the E30 vs the E510. I'm especially looking forward to a larger viewfinder and the possibilities that might resent with legacy lenses.

As for using it in Fenway Park, I'd like to see that happen this year too. It's getting near impossible to get tickets.

I gotta tell you though, that I met up with a friend of mine yesterday who happened to bring along his Nikon D90 DSLR. Geez Louise, that is one impressive camera. The OPV on that camera is incredible-not to mention AF performance.

Still and all, I'm not going to change systems anytime soon.

Zig


zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 6:03 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,241
Default

Your economy thanks you, and I'll thank you as soon as you get some pics posted:-)

From everything I hear, I think you have a heck of a camera heading your way.

Congrats!

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 12:42 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
HarjTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,530
Default

fldspringer wrote:
Quote:
Your economy thanks you, and I'll thank you as soon as you get some pics posted:-)

From everything I hear, I think you have a heck of a camera heading your way.

Congrats!

Greg
Well "said" Greg .... so Zig.. we're looking forward to a wee field report and pics as well!

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 1:44 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
I'm excited with possibilities the new camera presents. It will be interesting to compare the performanceof the E30 vs the E510. I'm especially looking forward to a larger viewfinder and the possibilities that might resent with legacy lenses.
Hi, Zig

I think you'll have a great time with it. I love the E3 but if I were shopping right now I'd be taking a good look at the E-30.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:07 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,145
Default

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
Hi, Zig

I think you'll have a great time with it. I love the E3 but if I were shopping right now I'd be taking a good look at the E-30.

Ted
Hi Ted, Greg, Harj,

I'll do my best to submit a report on the E30 as soon as I get it. It's on back order right now. I guess there's been a run on them.

I know many of you have the E3 and I was seriously considering buying the E3. But, the E30 is a newer release. As much as I would love having a camera with the OPV of the E3, the size ofthe body(too big for me) and the newer sensor of the E30 made it a bit easier to decide.

I really can't wait to try out the 50-200mm with it.


zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:19 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
I know many of you have the E3 and I was seriously considering buying the E3. But, the E30 is a newer release. As much as I would love having a camera with the OPV of the E3, the size ofthe body (too big for me) and the newer sensor of the E30 made it a bit easier to decide.
Hi, Zig

I think it has a lot to do with the size of your hands. Mine happen to be fairly large so most of the Oly cameras are not comfortable for me and the large E-3 is. Good thing that Oly makes cameras that fit folks with diferent ergonomic needs.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 7:06 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,241
Default

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
I know many of you have the E3 and I was seriously considering buying the E3. But, the E30 is a newer release. As much as I would love having a camera with the OPV of the E3, the size ofthe body (too big for me) and the newer sensor of the E30 made it a bit easier to decide.
Hi, Zig

I think it has a lot to do with the size of your hands. Mine happen to be fairly large so most of the Oly cameras are not comfortable for me and the large E-3 is. Good thing that Oly makes cameras that fit folks with diferent ergonomic needs.

Ted
I'll be honest. I don't mind the e-3's mass. I'm more bothered by lens weight, and the e-3 actually tend to counterbalance the heavier lenses.

I'm not saying, however, that something like the E620/50 f2 or 25 f2.8 wouldn't make a nice option though.

I'm wondering how useful the art filters will be for Zig. I've seen some interesting pics that seem like it would take a LOT of PP to get the same look. Inquiring minds want to know!

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:02 PM.