Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 18, 2009, 7:54 AM   #11

E.T wrote:
Quote:
Well, aren't there some pics in web hinting that first m4/3 camera of Olympus might be that kind?
I thought so also but I can't find that information.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 1:13 PM   #12

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
You got me reminiscing and I think the biggest advantage to digital photography is how easily we can share our photos. With film you have to scan the print or someone has to come to your house.

The one thing better about film SLRs is that to a large extent the camera body isn't all that important, just the glass is. With DSLRs both the imager and the glass need to be good and we're now in a loop of upgrading camera bodies regularly. I used my old Canon AE1 for years.

Ted
There is no doubt that digital photography allows you to be totally independant. Armed with a PC, some software, and a decent printer you can do most anything without any need to go to a developer or Lab. I also love the fact that I can pretty much shoot as many shots as I like and not need to worry about any expensive film.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"ButI have to admit, I love the results offilm. I especially appreciatethe look of black & white photos- ones with a lot of grain.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I know that I'll never go back ot film exclusively, but I often think about settingaside a small area in the house for a darkroom. It looks like it could be fun.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"To me, it's similar to music played backin aMP3 vs CD vs vinyl format. As much as I love using an Ipod, for it's convenience I usually listen to music on a Denon 2910 univ disc player. When I really want to go back in time and listen to something special, I pull out a vinyl album, load it on a turntable and just sit back and get caught up in the sound. It's like magicAnd, I don't even mind that I actually have to get up off the couch to change the record.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Zig

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 3:53 PM   #13

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
ButI have to admit, I love the results offilm. I especially appreciatethe look of black & white photos- ones with a lot of grain.

I know that I'll never go back ot film exclusively, but I often think about settingaside a small area in the house for a darkroom. It looks like it could be fun.

Zig
Hey zig: yes, I also like to work in black and white sometimes. I just shot some B&W this week of a rose, trying for a kind of dark,moody look. But I still used my 4/3, not film. I'll post a few here. And if you build a darkroom, when are you going to have time to play with your new E-30?

:-)

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 5:11 AM   #14

Hi Steven,

Those are great images with the first being the most pleasing to me. I'm curious, what lens did you use? Very nice and sharp.

BTW, I think you succeeded in getting the moody dark look you were looking for.

Zig
Old Apr 19, 2009, 2:58 PM   #15

Hi zig: Thanks, the lens was an old legacy Zuiko 50mm macro from my OM-2 collection, used on my E-330. Shot in color, then used one click of PhotoFiltre software to convert to gray scale for instant B&W.

I'm looking forward tohearing your impressionsfromusing your new camera. Probably half the forum is as anxious for it's delivery as you are!

Steve R.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 6:47 PM   #16

Will Pana beat Oly to market with a rangefinder size m43 camera? Came across this while surfing the web. Don't know if this was posted before, but in an interview, Pana seemed to hint that they are studying it.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_278224.html

"Panasonic's two G-series models, the G1 and GH1, are more akin in shape to a DSLR.

Flexible system

Asked whether Panasonic intends to launch a more compact-style camera body, Ichiro Kitao general manager at Panasonic's Products Planning Group, said: 'It is one of the choices – a more entry-level piece than the G1 or a step up piece…In the coming years we would like to expand our G Micro [Four Thirds] system.'

In an interview with Amateur Photographer at the PMA show in Las Vegas, he added: 'There is a great possibility to make any kind of product.' "

Kitao would not be drawn on further details and the timing of any future launches.

And he did not appear concerned that, by not launching a compact-style Micro Four Thirds camera now, Panasonic may miss out on attracting the mass market consumer.

Asked whether he is worried that Olympus plans to market a more compact-style model, Kitao told us: 'We are, of course, in competition with Olympus but we would like to promote Micro Four Thirds with Olympus – so, it's a good thing.'

Old Apr 21, 2009, 8:45 AM   #17

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:

But Zig, Zig, they use FILM. Remember film? You have to take it somewhere to get it developed and printed. Or build a darkroom. Yo, Zig!

(grin)

Ted

Yikes!!! What was I thinking?:?

Zig
Before I bought my first digital camera, I played the field in classic and modern rangefinders, trying everything from a Leica M6 and M4, to Zeiss Contax IIIa, Retina's, even a Fuji 645 rangefinderamong others. I kept one film rangefinder...a beautiful Zeiss Contessa folder with a super-sharp 45mm f2.8 Tessar. Had it serviced a few years ago and haven't run a roll of film through it in 3-4 years now, but still pull it out of the bag, exercise the shutter and just *fondle* it from time to time...they are quite exquisite cameras. I need to buy a roll of Velvia (or whatever they make today!)and take it out.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:02 AM   #18

I hear you. I have an old Leica P&S I just don't see myself throwing away but I never use it...
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 1:21 PM   #19

Hi Greg/Ted,

If you get a roll of film for that ContessaI'm sure you'llthen be posting some of your results.

Next thing you know, we'll all be asking MikeFellh how to properlyset up a darkroom.

LOL

Zig

Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:13 PM   #20

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg/Ted,

If you get a roll of film for that ContessaI'm sure you'llthen be posting some of your results.
Quote:
I'd probably just be happy with the resulting transparancies. Good, high resolutionfilm scanning never was cheap...at least, back when I was interested it was not. I would have to check into it today since it has been so long.

Next thing you know, we'll all be asking MikeFellh how to properlyset up a darkroom.
Quote:
NO WAY! Ben there, done that. It'd just be slide film, and I wouldhave it scanned, if anything. There was a time in my life I had both a black & white darkroom and a dedicated film scanner and I don't want either, ever again!

LOL

Zig

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote