Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 17, 2009, 11:20 AM   #1

....our annual trip to West Texas, this year the games were played at the Midland Rock Hounds AA field. It is great excitement for the HS guys to play on such a quality field. For me it was a treat to work from the photographers boxes putting the field level in a positive photography perspective without having to work hard to get it done.

Too, for me, archiving my grandson's HS years is an awesome experience. Jacob (#5 SS here) is a special talent at his age and has become an interest at the next level of school and baseball.

So, here are some files from the road trip last weekend using the E-3 & the 50-200. I did make a few files with the 70-300 lens but when it comes game time I can't ignore using the 50-200, it just fits/feels perfect to me and is so easy to work with.

Citibank Ballpark -- Midland, Texas USA * Midland RockHounds AA baseball

....this little guy came around before the first game asking for autographs

# 5 was his first and it was Jakes's first official autograph...can you see the thrill of it?

.........perfect light and field perspective AND the AB with a hit

.....runner is out

........ 5 at the 6 --- a baseball ballet at shortstop

..........I really like action shots at the bases, especially 1st base

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2009, 1:26 PM   #2

Hi Bob,

Really great series of images!!

You really have a handle on how to shoot baseball action sequences as your shots are always terrific.

Looking at your photos is getting me all cranked up about attending this year's Cape Cod Baseball League season. I can't wait:G

And I know exactly how you feel regarding the use of the 50-200mm vs the 70-300mm. As nice as it is to have the extra focal length of the 70-300, the 50-200 is just so much faster, easier to focus and sharper. It's a joy to use.

I boughta 70-300mm last year and sold it to subsidize the purchase of the 50-200mm. Thinking that I was missing it, I bought another one. After using it a few times, I realized, that I just wasn't going to use it much anymore as the 50-200 is my go to lens. I ended up selling that one last week.

anyways, didn't mean hijack your post to a discussion of the 70-300mm.

Thanks for sharing, and yes, it's great fun to watcha grandson grow and mature.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 5:34 PM   #3

Hi Bob!

Nice series of pics .. and No 4 is my favorite - compoistion is just right, the colour/exposure is spot on too and its just a really nice shot! I like the others but thats my favorite of the bunch!

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 5:34 PM   #4

.....thanks Zig & Harj,

I always appreciate your comments, you both are kind.

Zig, you will have the E-30 tuned by the time the CC league opens and I am anxious to read your reports.

I am nearing a time for my hike onto the nature preserve here, about 1/2 mile from the house, it is 60 acres in size and never been developed. A city park that no one pays much attention to, it is pretty much pristine with native trees and plant growth. We have had a really good rain today and with warm weather to follow I think the walk should be nice and maybe some decent photos too.

I intend to use the 70-300 some during that walk, we will see how that plays when the time comes.
____
boBB
Old Apr 17, 2009, 5:54 PM   #5

Harj's comments reminded me that I neglected to add the fact that my favorite shot is the last one. I'm not sure how many people have "caught" (pun intended) the fact that you took the shot at the moment the baseball was just entering the 1st baseman's glove.

Wow!!

Zig
Old Apr 17, 2009, 7:48 PM   #6

Really nice shots, Bob. The photographers slot is definitely the optimum spot to be!I saw your post earlier when I was scanning the site during lunch, but our office has blocked manyphoto-sharing sites,one of which is Smugmug,so hyperlinks like these and the ones I post in my own messages don't show up at the office . You wouldn't know that was Midland from inside the ballpark!

Talking tomyself right now about whether I want to buy a ticket for Saturday night's Rangersgame vs. the Royals.

***Edit*** Couldn't help myself. Section 35, Row 6.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:06 PM   #7

Hi Bob: really enjoyed your shots. My favorite is the batter shot with the left foot just coming up in the air. You avoided the cliche shot of a batter in full swing. I like the balance between the batter, the catcher, and the background manager.

P.S. to zig: If you weren't using your 70-300, you should have dropped it off at my house when you were in Florida on vacation. I would have been glad to put it to good use!!
:lol:
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:18 PM   #8

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
P.S. to zig: If you weren't using your 70-300, you should have dropped it off at my house when you were in Florida on vacation. I would have been glad to put it to good use!!
:lol:
Had I only known........................

Zig
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:37 AM   #9

.............thanks everyone for the comments

Harj's 'WB and the E-3' post reminded me to say that I did update the E-3 to v.1.4 before this trip. The AF process is as good or better then before the v.1.3 update, it is quite fast and very accurate.

As for WB, I always use Auto WB and will make slight changes to some, but not all, files during RAW conversion.............

I do not believe WB in my camera has been affected by upgrading to v.1.4, but then I have never made a photo the likes of Harj's studio files so I may be more ignorant of WB levels than I admit to.
____
boBB