Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 18, 2009, 7:07 AM   #1

I've recently been looking at my old filters I'm using on my new E-520. I have a a nice Japanese polarizer and some UV filters too. All were made in the early 80's though.

I haven't noticed any trouble really with the polarizer, but I've read that they can cause metering and focus issues.
How obvious is it, because I've not seen much wrong in either while using it on the E-520 so far ?

Also I assume a Circular polarizer does not need to be rotated to give the best glare reduction, true or not ?

mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2009, 3:38 PM   #2

Hi: I've not had any problems with a circular polarizer; and yes, you turn it to adjust for the glare and reflections. Have you actually had any problems with it yet?

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 6:30 PM   #3

I've got a linear polarizer I think, due it age and no C markings.

I'm not sure if I've had a problem because I've just got the camera, I don't know how well it focuses etc anyway. I have found it struggling in low light with the polarizer on, but put it down to the camera itself at the time.

The E-520 is my first dSLR since my Minolta X-700 back when they were new so I'm just learning about these issues.

I'm wondering if my UV filters are up to snuff either... Maybe modern ones are better clarity these days.
mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 7:07 PM   #4
Administrator

mr.sneezy wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure if I've had a problem because I've just got the camera, I don't know how well it focuses etc anyway. I have found it struggling in low light with the polarizer on, but put it down to the camera itself at the time.
You'll lose around 2 stops of light with a typical polarizer, depending on how it's rotated, meaning only about 1/4 the light can get through to the camera's Autofocus sensors. So, your camera isn't going to be able to see as well to focus (especially if you're not using a bright lens).

Also, you'd get much faster shutter speeds in low light for a given ISO speed/aperture without a polarizer (with one, you may find you need shutter speeds around 4 times as long due to light loss through it). IOW, you'll probably want to remove it when you're shooting in low light.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote