Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 18, 2009, 9:33 AM   #1

Hi Guys/Girls

I did a studio shoot yesterday and noticed that the WB on the E3 was out, and by a fair amount even when set to Flash WB. It was slightly better on Custome WB 5400K but still no way as good as the Canon 1Ds MKII that the studio has (it looked spot on) - theres a definite reddsh cast to the pics when using Auto or Flash WB and in LR - the WB value is actually showing up as 5000 instead of 5400. I didn't have a white/grey card to set a manual WB which was a shame as I'd like to see how that would have worked but I think there definietly is an issue with my E3's WB.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2009, 9:39 AM   #2

Harj - did you install the 1.4 firmware upgrade? If so, do you think itchanged the WB?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 12:27 PM   #3

Hi Ted

Yeah .. I did the 1.4 update and like you held off from going to 1.3. Now the WB was always a bit off but after updating to 1.2 it did improve quite a bit but with 1.4 it seems to have gone back a step or two. Adrian, who owns the studio spotted it straight off and after doing a side by side comparison with his 1Ds, the E3's is definitely out. I'm also suprised that LR's is showing the WB as 5000K when its being shown as 5400K on the cam.

I'm thinking of e-mailing Oly and see what they say. Adrian also advised that it might be worthwhile sending the cam in for a service with OLy - nots ure if I should but will wait and see.

Cheers

Harj

Old Apr 19, 2009, 5:44 AM   #4

Well I'm sure I have some 82A or B filters around here somewhere.

Sorry - that was a bad joke.

Please let us know what they say.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 5:56 AM   #5

Hey Ted

its cool.. i thought it was funny ! I did notice that I was getting the odd pic back focusing or where the focus point had shifted slightly with the E3 + 35-100 - I had noticed it before in the odd picture prior to 1.4 but yesterday it did this with a few shots. I;d be interested to know if you or Greg have the same issue with the 35-100F2 or not ?

Cheers

Harj

Old Apr 20, 2009, 9:41 AM   #6
PJM

What's your shutter speed? If it's low maybe your modeling lights are coming into play. Also, you could establish a One-Touch White Balance for your studio lighting setup.
PJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 2:08 PM   #7

The exposure for the studio lights was 1/160s @F11. WB set to auto or Flash. With the 1.2 update the same setup there was hardly any redish cast while the original E3's fw was prone to introducing a redish cast with studio lights). Basically what ever they fixed with the 1.2 WB they've broken again, although switching WB to custom 5400 imroves matters.

Old May 2, 2009, 12:19 PM   #8

Got a reply from Oly Europe's support regards the issues with the E3 since the update to 1.4. So far I've been the first to report them and the issues raised forwarded on for further investigation.

I asked about the 14-35F2 and whether a solution to its AF in low light was anywhere near but the answer was that they were not aware of any further fix or firmware update. So if anyones still looking at buyign one I think its safe to say hold off until there is a real fix.

Cheers

Harj