Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 19, 2009, 2:19 AM   #1

..and first one for me to use the E520, with the 50-200 f2.8-3.5

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...15543717_6WnwA

Bat meets ball..

Not too many kids got one of these this particular night..

The big leap..

You've gotta love levitation when it works..

"I command thee....rise up to my hand....", and it did..

About two seconds after I snapped this, that ball zoomed several feet over my head..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2009, 5:07 AM   #2

Hi Greg,

Great series of shots. #3 is definitely my fav. I've got to look at the rest of the gallery later this morning. Looks like you saw a pretty good pitcher's duel with Millwood pitching very well. Trouble was, Greinke pitched a bit better.

You obviously didn't have any issues bringing your camera with the 50-200mm into the stadium.

Still too cold up here for me to get charged up to see a Red Sox game. They play almost all of their home games at night at Fenway. This time of year means that game time temps area in the 40s. Brrrrr............... Much more enjoyable seeing the game on the TV.

Thanks for sharing.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 5:41 AM   #3

Great shots, Greg. You obviously figured out the shutter lag for the 520 pretty quickly!

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 8:37 AM   #4

................hey Greg, I recognize every one of the gallery photos (watched the game from the couch). You had the GREAT location just past 1st base, the angles from there are the best IMO.

The photos are very good all around, I especially like the composition in them.

Because I am so attracted to the SS position and Elvis Andrus is such a special young talent this is my favorite photo of your gallery...........the only thing that would have completed this photo would have been for the ball to be seen & just past Aviles on its way to finish the unassisted double play turn. This is a great baseball picuture!

As for SmugMug and the gallery files I wish the procedure would sort the finished set in file name sequence as default. The upload buffering posts the files in size order of the buffer load and must be sorted for correct gallery presentation. If one were to view an unsorted gallery as a slideshow and this file follows the first one they appear to be random shots but when in filename sequence a story is told.

These are two really good baseball photos and are better when seen together in sequence. It was a good game too, thanks for sharing..........from these I learn.
____
boBB

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 9:03 AM   #5

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg,

Great series of shots. #3 is definitely my fav. I've got to look at the rest of the gallery later this morning. Looks like you saw a pretty good pitcher's duel with Millwood pitching very well. Trouble was, Greinke pitched a bit better.
Quote:
I think the last time I was personally at a Rangers game where both starters finished, it was the late 1970's vs. the Red Sox when Ferguson Jenkins was pitching for the Rangers and Bill Lee was pitching for the Red Sox, and the game lasted less than 2 hours. That also happened to be one of the last periods of time the Rangers as an organization had a clue what big league ptching really is.

You obviously didn't have any issues bringing your camera with the 50-200mm into the stadium.
Quote:
Nope! The whole bag went, but the 50-200 was all I used during the game. This and the horse track are, without doubt, the two easiest professional venues hereto get just about any piece of equipment you want in.

Still too cold up here for me to get charged up to see a Red Sox game. They play almost all of their home games at night at Fenway. This time of year means that game time temps area in the 40s. Brrrrr............... Much more enjoyable seeing the game on the TV.

Yes, that is too cold. It was just warm enough here last nightto go in shorts and a tee shirt, which was what I was wearing.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 9:14 AM   #6

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
................hey Greg, I recognize every one of the gallery photos (watched the game from the couch). You had the GREAT location just past 1st base, the angles from there are the best IMO.

The photos are very good all around, I especially like the composition in them.

Because I am so attracted to the SS position and Elvis Andrus is such a special young talent this is my favorite photo of your gallery...........the only thing that would have completed this photo would have been for the ball to be seen & just past Aviles on its way to finish the unassisted double play turn. This is a great baseball picuture!

As for SmugMug and the gallery files I wish the procedure would sort the finished set in file name sequence as default. The upload buffering posts the files in size order of the buffer load and must be sorted for correct gallery presentation. If one were to view an unsorted gallery as a slideshow and this file follows the first one they appear to be random shots but when in filename sequence a story is told.
Quote:
I know what you mean. Inever really understood their uploading procedure as far as order goes. In this case, I did go in and place these in order using the customise gallery feature. in this case, I just ordered them the opposite way,from last to first. I tooka fewin a series of bursts and will be collaging them together in various ways later this next week when I have the time and putting them in this folder. The plays at second, the two pitchers motions to the plate, etc.
Quote:
These are two really good baseball photos and are better when seen together in sequence. It was a good game too, thanks for sharing..........from these I learn.
Quote:
There are so many lulls in action at a ball game. I still often find myself being *just* a fan and miss a number of what would have been great subjects to shoot and this game was no different...fortunately I was awake for the only double play of the game(!), andat $50 a seat plus all the other associated costs with going to a game, there won't be too many others I get to this year, which makes missing something even more frustrating!

Old Apr 19, 2009, 9:17 AM   #7

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
Great shots, Greg. You obviously figured out the shutter lag for the 520 pretty quickly!

Ted
Yep:G.

Thanks for the comments!
Old Apr 19, 2009, 9:40 AM   #8

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
There are so many lulls in action at a ball game. I still often find myself being *just* a fan and miss a number of what would have been great subjects to shoot and this game was no different...fortunately I was awake for the only double play of the game(!), andat $50 a seat plus all the other associated costs with going to a game, there won't be too many others I get to this year, which makes missing something even more frustrating!

It looks like your not the only one. There are a couple of big white lenses in dis-use as you captured some great action. In reality, its not possible to go at it 100% of the time.

I wonder what the guys with the big white lenses would think of your 50-200 shots? Your results look great and I know I'd rather hold your setup.

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 3:43 PM   #9

Hi Greg

A really nice series of shots and you captured the moment with those - no 2 caught my eye in how good it looks and the others how well the noise is being controlled.

I'm not sure how the Pro shooters know when not to shoot - I;d hate to miss a winning shot or play becuase I thought nothing was going to happen!

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 7:44 PM   #10

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure how the Pro shooters know when not to shoot - I;d hate to miss a winning shot or play becuase I thought nothing was going to happen!
Knowledge of the game. For instance in the shot of the batter you see the cameras generally pointed at the field not the batter and the photogs just watching the game. First they wouldn't be focusing on the batter because the batter is right handed. You can't see his face so there's no point taking a shot. If it's a good hitter with nice follow-thru they might grab a shot of the follow-thru from that side though.

If the ball is hit in the outfield there's plenty of time to acquire the outfielder. Whether or not they sit on in-fielders depends on the types of plays they like to shoot. But it also depends on who they're covering for. If they're shooting for the at-bat teams paper they're not going to take a snap of the shortstop of the opposing team making a great stop.

Pro shooters also have an idea for the types of shots they want to capture. It isn't like a videographer - you're not trying to chronicle the game and get every shot. There are certain types of shots of certain players they are usually after. But they pay attention for potentially game altering plays. Some times a photographer will get them sometimes not. It's why even if your local paper has a photographer there you may see an AP photo instead.

In the end most of these photographers will be submitting a dozen photos to their editor while taking stock photos as well (build up photos of the players to run with stories not necessarily related to the game).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote