Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 22, 2009, 6:04 PM   #11

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
Hi, Zig

As far as I can tell, you're shooting through the glass of that window - is that true? Because I've thought about imaging the birds in my back yard through my double-glazed sliding door but always assumed that would really degrade the sharpness of the image. I never had good luck shooting through glass with film.

Ted
Hi Ted,

Yes, I am. To be precise, I lift up the window sash out of the way and shoot thru the storm window. The storm window is single pane.

I thought I would have trouble shooting thru the glass. But,with the 50-200mm lens it doesn't seem to be much of a problem. I have tried a 70-300mm, and a Olympus OM 135 f3.5 film lens. With those, I do get glare reflections and the results are just not very good.

A couple of other things to point out. I use a piece of black poster board that I prop up on the side of the window. It effectively cuts out a lot of glare. Also, i have to clean the window often due to the fact that the lens will pick up any dirt, water droplets, etc. on the glass.

Lastly, I have my best success shooting directly thru the glass at a perpendicular angle. If I shoot at a 45 degreeangle, I do see some reflections.

Hope this helps.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 6:32 PM   #12

Thanks, Zig

The sliding door dates from 1978 so the interior glass surfaces arepretty dirty. But I'll give it a try. I can also try sliding it open a little, hoping that the bees feeding on the flowers on the flowering crab tree stay outside. It would be a perpendicular shot of about 12' to where I have bird seed.

Like the ZD 11-22mm, the 50-200mm was one of the earlier 4/3 lenses produced by Oly and thus seems to beunder-rated, or at least under-appreciated nowadays. Both are excellent lenses, and pretty fast lenses for their size.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 7:47 PM   #13

Hi Ted,

My 50-200mm is the ED -earlier version- nonSWD. In my mind it is just a great lens to work with.

If this is Olympus' mid tier lens or as they call it, High Grade, I would just love to get my hands on a 300mm f2.8 lens or other Super High Grade lens.

Anyways, wish you success on your bird shooting. If nothing else it will give you a great deal of pleasure. I never knew there were so many different birds in our neighborhood 'til put the feeder out.

regards,

Zig

Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:58 PM   #14

Your bird shots are really first-rate Zig. That first image reminds me of the lips that used tostick out of the pool in front of the Medici fountain at the Luxembourg Gardens in Paris, or the row of half-buried Cadillacs near Amarillo.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2009, 5:17 PM   #15

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ted,

My 50-200mm is the ED -earlier version- nonSWD. In my mind it is just a great lens to work with.
Hi, Zig

The one I have is the same - the older version. I must admit to having reservations about the long-term mechanical durability of (and the dorkiness of) a lens where the front element moves out 3" when you zoom it. But there's no question as to the quality of the images it delivers.

Quote:
If this is Olympus' mid tier lens or as they call it, High Grade, I would just love to get my hands on a 300mm f2.8 lens or other Super High Grade lens.
The only SHG lens I have (or can afford) is the 35-100 f/2. And they're not joking about the SHG designation - I've never used a lens that delivers that kind of IQ.

Ted

PS: And when you pull out that big 35-100, folks immediately knowthey're seeing some serious sh*t, which does count for something...

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:03 PM   #16

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
zig-123 wrote:

The only SHG lens I have (or can afford) is the 35-100 f/2. And they're not joking about the SHG designation - I've never used a lens that delivers that kind of IQ.

Ted

PS: And when you pull out that big 35-100, folks immediately knowthey're seeing some serious sh*t, which does count for something...
Hi Ted,

The images that I've seen, although not many, taken with the 35-100mm lens all have been remarkably sharp. That is one cracker of a lens.

There's a fellow on PBase.com that uses an E-3 along with either the 50-200mm or the 35-100mm lens. Here's a link to some outstanding photographs of birds in flight taken by him using the E-3in combination withone of the lenses.

http://www.pbase.com/ekchua/feathered_friends

And as I recall, you also have the E-3 body. I certainly do wish you much success with your bird feeder project as I would love to see some of your results using the 35-100.

Zig
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:33 PM   #17

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
And as I recall, you also have the E-3 body. I certainly do wish you much success with your bird feeder project as I would love to see some of your results using the 35-100.

Zig
I'll say the 35-100 isn't much of a birding lens. Set your 50-200 to 100mm and increase the mimimum focus distance by a couple feet and you just don't get the magnification. I'm liking the 35-100, but it lends itself to subjects that don't mind getting their pic taken. The50-200 outclasses it for wildlife.

The detail the 35-100 resolves is breathtaking, though. Work has been getting in the way of play lately, but I'm looking forward to getting the big f2 out more. Rain again this weekend, but maybe between showers.

Greg

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote