Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 19, 2009, 8:31 AM   #1

I got up this morning with the idea I'd go out and tae a few photos of the first signs of Spring. Instead, found these:

This little goldfinch decided he wanted to pose for me:

All taken with an E-510 with 50-200mm ED (non SWD) lens.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2009, 10:01 AM   #2

......ahhhhh the days of Spring, Greg(TX) & I wish all could be in the day we have here right now.

Zig, how do you make a picture of a bird like that. I have the same lens and have never made a picture of any bird that looks so detailed, shucks I have not made a picture of a bird that actually resembles the bird it is of.

I have said to Bonnie that I might try the bird feeder setup and told her how well it has worked for you, but I haven't done the feeder.

I like the driftwood (I think it is) wreath too......................
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 11:10 AM   #3

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
Zig, how do you make a picture of a bird like that. I have the same lens and have never made a picture of any bird that looks so detailed, shucks I have not made a picture of a bird that actually resembles the bird it is of.

I have said to Bonnie that I might try the bird feeder setup and told her how well it has worked for you, but I haven't done the feeder.

boBB
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your kind words.

Since you asked, here's my set up and how I go about taking photos of these little critters:

I've got my camera/lens mounted to a tripod and set up about 4ft away from the feeder. If you notice I've got a chair in the closet where I sit. It allows me to hide a bit from the birds.

The following photo is a bit better at showing where the feeder is on the side of the window:

I have a piece of black cardboard propped up on the side of the window to reduce glare.

And yes, my wife thinks I'm a bit nuts.:? But she puts up with me.

As for the settings, I'm operating in totally manual mode. With ISO typically at 800. Shutter speeds vary from 1/240 to 1/1000 depending on available light. Arpeture is usually between 3.2 and 6.3, again based on how much light I've got to work with. Continuous burst mode. I have my best success early in the morning and early evening but light tends to be a bit of an issue.

And last but certainly not least, be prepared to keep about 2 to 3 shots for every hundred you take.

Zig

Old Apr 19, 2009, 1:04 PM   #4

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
And last but certainly not least, be prepared to keep about 2 to 3 shots for every hundred you take.

Zig
So, film would be better? (Just kidding.) The goldfinch shot is great.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 1:49 PM   #5

Thanks Ted,

Rest assured, if I were using film, I wouldn't be doing anything crazy like trying to shoot birds.:?

Zig
Old Apr 19, 2009, 2:33 PM   #6

ok! Now I understand a great deal more and have come to a conclusion that it 'ain't gonna work so well at my place".

Remember I once said that I never see a bird except for sparrows and occasionally a mockingbird............ well I see out your window those trees and sub-wilderness that I don't have here on the great prairie plains land in North Central Texas, I don't got the trees right here.

I still may put out something, I fed the birds and animal life at our other house but there I did have a really large back yard and actually a couple trees. We had the usual for around here; in addition to the squirrels there were the Blue Jays, doves, Cardinals, some others. I bought seed and sunflower seeds separately in 40 .lb bags and fed in ground feeders, it was fun to watch the activity.

Thanks for showing your setup.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 3:13 PM   #7

I appreciate the sense of humor on the first pic. I can only imagine fow many smiles flashed on people's faces seeing that. Add one more with mine.

You came up with the secret with bird shots. Get close with a long lens. I like your setup to accomplish that. I sit out next to the feeder until the birds forget about me and the dogs and begin acting normally.

Greg (the Northern one)

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 3:18 PM   #8

hi zig: that first shot is hilarious! But it begs the question: what are you doing with mannequin parts? (And you may have been stuck indoors this winter with to much time on your hands!!! LOL)

:lol:

Excellent, sharpshot of the goldfinch. I don't thinkwe have any of those down here. We do have some very colorful birds. Here one I photographedlast year.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 3:52 PM   #9

Hi guys,

I wish the mannequin parts made to look like a swimmer was my idea. Actually, it's locatedin the parkng lot ofa dive shop in the center of town. I drive by the shop almost on a weekly basis and this morning was the first time I'd seen it. I just had to take a photo 'cause it made me smile.

as for the birdies, for some reason they put up wth me if I'm inside the house as they can see me quite well. Yet it doesn't seem to spook them. All except, the Cardinal's. They a very skittish and leave at the first sign of any movement.

I've tried sitting outside, but for some reason, they don't like it whewn I'm there and stay away.

One thing the birds have done coming by the feeder every day is to attract a Hawk. He comes by on regular basis and swoops down on one when he's hungry.He's way too fast for me to catch up to him. But I keep trying. Someday, I'll capture an image of him.

BTW, nice images. I like the shot of tha chckadee. All mine come out with the eyes and blackcheeks too dark. What kind of parrot is that?
Zig

Old Apr 22, 2009, 4:53 PM   #10

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
I've tried sitting outside, but for some reason, they don't like it whewn I'm there and stay away.
Hi, Zig

As far as I can tell, you're shooting through the glass of that window - is that true? Because I've thought about imaging the birds in my back yard through my double-glazed sliding door but always assumed that would really degrade the sharpness of the image. I never had good luck shooting through glass with film.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote