Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 4, 2009, 4:08 PM   #11

mr.sneezy wrote:
Quote:
New question.

Doing some manual shots off a tripod here of the moon, using live view zoomed to get a sharp focus. I have an IR remote control for this camera. It triggers a shot and does 'bulb' shutter open and close, but I expected it would also allow remote manual focus too. Doesn't work for me. Anybody know if it's supposed to on this camera or other Oly's ?

[align=left]
These areNotes from the E520 manual relative to the use of the Oly RM-1 remote control:[/align]
[align=left]• The shutter will not be released if the subject is not in focus.[/align]
[align=left]• Under bright light conditions, the remote control lamp may be difficult to see, making it hard to[/align]
[align=left]determine whether or not the picture has been taken.[/align]
• Zoom is not available on the remote control.

BTW, the same applies to my E30 or E510

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009, 2:36 AM   #12

Thanks Zig, I 'RTFM'd but didn't spot that line.
Martin
mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009, 5:57 AM   #13

mr.sneezy wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Zig, I 'RTFM'd but didn't spot that line.
Martin

BTW, I don't know if this will help you in any of your astro photography, but Wrotniak has an extensive technical article on shooting the Moon. If you haven't already seen it, you might just give it a look see.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/moon/index.html

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 9:49 PM   #14

Default Best setting for auto focus and actions shots.

New question relating to the E-520 with the compact 40-150mm lens (borrowed it).

This is a typical sort of shot I do regularly (attached).

I'm struggling to get the AF system to keep up with me and get a sharp image. Anyone got tips on any settings I might try ?

I already try to keep ISO as high as possible for the given light (this day was very cloudy and dark).

Martin
Attached Images

mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 12:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sneezy View Post
I have an IR remote control for this camera. It triggers a shot and does 'bulb' shutter open and close, but I expected it would also allow remote manual focus too. Doesn't work for me. Anybody know if it's supposed to on this camera or other Oly's ?
Manual focus is just that, you manually adjust the lens. Now if you had the camera set to autofocus when you clicked the remote the camera would do that before taking the picture.

Someone mentioned that the camera has to be in focus before it will take a picture...this is only true IF SF/CF Release Priorities are OFF, otherwise if it's ON you can take a picture whether or not the image is in focus (definitely needed if you're trying to do out of focus abstracts).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote