Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 25, 2009, 11:47 PM   #1

With the older (and slightly faster) Zuiko Digital 40-150mm lens, it's doesn't apparently support Imager AF (in Live View) on so capable bodies (E-520).

Is that still correct ?

If so can you still do Manual Focus in Live view ?

I assume too that I 'could' use Sensor AF in Live View but it would be very slow ?

Thanks,
Martin

PS. If anybody in Oz on the forumhas one for sale let me know.

mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2009, 6:13 PM   #2

Looks like nobody knows much about the above question...

I have another though too now, maybe somebody can help with this before I buy one.

Is there any difference in AF speed between the original 40-150mm f/3.5-4.5 lens and it's repalcement the compact version (f/4-5.6) ?
Old May 10, 2009, 10:10 PM   #3

Sorry no one answered your first question. I can't really answer your second question, either. But since they're both kit-level lenses - meaning neither has the SWD technology - and the old lens has a slightly wider aperture, I would expect the old lens to have an edge over the new one in auto-focus speed. That's assuming there's much difference at all. Below is a link to the only direct comparsion test I could find involving these two lenses.

http://www.biofos.com/esystem/4015_tst.html

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Biro; May 10, 2009 at 10:13 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 10:27 PM   #4

I've not seen any direct comparisons of the old vs newer compact 40-150mm lens relative to AF speed. I have had the compact or newer version 40-150mm lens and found it to be a good performer. But, I have not had the older version so can't answer your question from a user's perspective.

One thing to consider though is the fact that both lenses employ the fly by wire method of focusing. So, I don't think there will be an appreciative difference in speed between the two.

I would opt for the smaller, more compact lens as test results generally show that it is a bit sharper. Also, being less expensive is a plus.

Here is a review of the lens at SLR gear, a site that does a good job of reviewing digital camera lenses.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...t/1086/cat/all

BTW, you can also read a review of the older version lens on the same site.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 11:28 PM   #5

............and I've not used the newer version but I do have an original 40-150 which is a good lens.

I've used it mostly with an E-300 and it makes a nice combination. As Zig said, I too doubt there is a discernible difference in focus speed between the two lenses, the one I have is quite fast with the E-300 and on the E-3.

Here are a couple samples from my 40-150 and E-300
____
boBB

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 12:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sneezy View Post
With the older (and slightly faster) Zuiko Digital 40-150mm lens, it's doesn't apparently support Imager AF (in Live View) on so capable bodies (E-520).

Is that still correct ?
Olympus never added CDAF to the old 40-150 like it did to the new 40-150.

Quote:
If so can you still do Manual Focus in Live view ?
Can't see why not...I've only used it on the E-330 though which doesn't have CDAF.

Quote:
I assume too that I 'could' use Sensor AF in Live View but it would be very slow ?
Well, it would require a mirror flip to do normal autofocus. Haven't seen anything yet that says what would happen say if you put the old lens on a G1 which doesn't have phase detect autofocus at all.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009, 7:38 PM   #7

I use the newer f/4-5.6 on my E330 and have no problem with its focus speed. I also prefer its much better size over the original. Looked at both lenses, but went with the newer one and haven't regretted it. I think it gives slightly sharper results when I set the contrast to +1.

Last edited by Steven R; May 14, 2009 at 7:59 PM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:47 AM   #8

Interesting that most responses seem to be that the newer lens is sharper. I was just going by the test at biofos.com that showed the older lens better in contrast and sharpness...
Since I want as much lens speed as possible I thought the older lens would be better for my action shooting too, especially at the long end.

Hmm.. I can borrow a new version locally in Adelaide, but need to find an old one to do my own comparison I think.