Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 30, 2009, 6:57 PM   #1

Icame home this afternoon to find the feeder almost empty of seed. So, I got the sunflower seeds out and filled it. Then realizing that I really haven't had a chance to work with the 50-200mm and E30 shooting birds, I sat down and patiently waited for about 5minutes. Nothing going on so I started to customize some my mode settings.(how do you do this guys, I'm so confused).

Anyways, to get to the point, here is what occurred next.

Then it was all over

BTW, no noise reduction or other major post processing done. Just a size redution and and upped the exposure a bit as the E30 consistanly under exposes a bit.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2009, 7:24 PM   #2

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
I started to customize some my mode settings.(how do you do this guys, I'm so confused).
Hi, Zig

GREAT shots!

Re the My Mode settings, on the E3 you dial to one ofthe existing modes that you want to use as a My Mode (e.g. in your case for birds, presumably shutter priority), change all of the settings you want to save in a My Mode (e.g ISO, contrast). Then you go to the Menu Wrench #1 and go to Button/Dial, then to My Mode Setup, then save that setup as one of the two My Modes. I assume the E30 menu is the same.

Dunno why this isn't clear to you - it's only a few obscure steps. Although if I delivered software that was that clear to my customers I'd lose mycontract with them (grin).

Ted

PS Did you figure out how to change the default JPEG compression to Superfine? That's a whole 'nother adventure in the Oly menu system but let me know and I'll figure it out again and tell you.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 7:35 PM   #3

BTW, Zig, I strongly recommend that you go to the Oly - America web site and download the pdf of the Manual for your E30. That way you can do a search in Acrobat for what you're trying to figure out in the manual. Much better than trying to search through the printed manual...

Ted
Old Apr 30, 2009, 7:37 PM   #4

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
Re the My Mode settings, on the E3 you dial to one ofthe existing modes that you want to use as a My Mode (e.g. in your case for birds, presumably shutter priority), change all of the settings you want to save in a My Mode (e.g ISO, contrast). Then you go to the Menu Wrench #1 and go to Button/Dial, then to My Mode Setup, then save that setup as one of the two My Modes. I assume the E30 menu is the same.

Dunno why this isn't clear to you. Although if I delivered software that was that clear to my customers I'd lose mycontract with them (grin).

Ted

PS Did you figure out how to change the default JPEG compression to Superfine? That's a whole 'nother adventure in the Oly menu system but let me know and I'll figure it out again and tell you.
Hi Ted,

Thanx, for the explanation. Yeah, that makes it really easy to understand. On second thought, I'll wait 'til the morning after my 2nd cup of coffee.

Superfine cmpression, AAHHH!, another example of just how easy it is to customize the E30.:?

Yes, Andrzej helped me out on that one.

Zig

Old Apr 30, 2009, 7:40 PM   #5

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
BTW, Zig, I strongly recommend that you go to the Oly - America web site and download the pdf of the Manual for your E30. That way you can do a search in Acrobat for what you're trying to figure out in the manual. Much better than trying to search through the printed manual...

Ted
Thanks for the tip. I did download the manual when I was investigating wether or not to pull the trigger on this camera. But, I generally don't think to do that.

Zig

Old Apr 30, 2009, 7:56 PM   #6

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
On second thought, I'll wait 'til the morning after my 2nd cup of coffee.
Or maybe 3 or 4 cups. If it helps,I briefly owned a Panasonic L1 but sold it after I discovered that its menu was equally confusing and worse, totally different than Oly's soI knew I couldn't switch between using the two cameras without my brain exploding. (Also, the OVF on the L1 was way too dark.)

You might consider doing some testing on the E30 before you set up a My Mode. For example, on the E3 and as far as I can tell the E30, ISO 200 is indistinguishable from ISO 100 - word on the street is that ISO 200 is the basic ISO for their sensors and ISO 100 gains nothing. But for your bird shots, you might want to check to see if ISO 400 is fine,and maybe ISO 800 is OK which would give you a shutter speed advantage.

The reason I say this, is that changing the My Mode setting is more goofy than setting it up in the first place, difficult though that may be to believe. Also, I recommend that you record all the settings you put into a My Mode, just in case future firmware upgrades wipe them out. You never know with Oly...

Ted

Old Apr 30, 2009, 8:09 PM   #7

I do need to say that although I think the Oly menu system could be better, it's important to know that the Olys give you the ability to change way more defaults (for all modes) than the Canon cameras my friends use. For example, you can set a default contrast or exposure over-ride for all settings. In my (limited) experience with Canons, you have to set those over-rides every time you turn on the camera. that would make me crazy.

Ted
Old Apr 30, 2009, 8:11 PM   #8

You lucky bird you!

Zig, You too for being there, this is a great series. It looks and sounds as if you are beginning to have some fun with the E30.

I downloaded the .pdf manual for the E-3 quite some time ago then one rainy afternoon used the couple or so pages that show the default settings to mark in my settings.

Then when I did the v.1.3 update the info came in handy to manually reset them. As Ted said, the pdf find function surely makes turning the pages quicker.

____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 8:35 PM   #9

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
You lucky bird you!
It's hard to tell whether that lens is really out of production. B&H, being the largest distributor of digital camera equipment in the US, seems to think they can still get that Leica 50mm f/1.4 lens. If you want one, you might try going on their web site and telling them to notify you by email when they have them in stock. But if you do, apparently you have to order it immediately.I tried that but it took too long - but if you have patience and the money to order it immediately when they respond, it's worth it. It really is the equivalent of an Oly SHG lens...

Ted
Old Apr 30, 2009, 8:59 PM   #10

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
You might consider doing some testing on the E30 before you set up a My Mode. For example, on the E3 and as far as I can tell the E30, ISO 200 is indistinguishable from ISO 100 - word on the street is that ISO 200 is the basic ISO for their sensors and ISO 100 gains nothing. But for your bird shots, you might want to check to see if ISO 400 is fine,and maybe ISO 800 is OK which would give you a shutter speed advantage.

Hi ted,

Actually, all of the above were shot at 1/320sec, f6.3, 104mm, ISO640. I've routineley been shooting at 800ISO with the E-510 and found it acceptable and quite easy to clean up using Neat Image.

I will say, that I think the E30 is a bit noisier than the E-510. This is based on my limited range of shots take with it. So, I'm not sure what is going on. I've got to do some more researching.

Hi Bob,

Yes, I'm having fun with this camera. Just wish I could have a bit more time with it. I've been busy to 'other' things and soon as things calm down, i'll be able to better concentrate on the familiarizing myself with this body.