Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 1, 2009, 1:05 AM   #1

Warning - this post has no real purpose, just mostly a rant.

I have had the E-30 now about 3 weeks.

Ordered one of those cheap Canadian ones for 900 USD(+ tax & fees)and the HLD-4 grip, andI'm having a Love/Hate relationship with it.

Love everything about it, all the features and it's size (one of the reasons I didn't go for the E-620). I have hated the image quality and noise of even low ISO images. It seemed like my oldE-510 had better IQ.

Been able to only get out three times to take some pics since I gottheE-30.

The first one I went to a bird sanctuary and used the ZD 50-200(old version). Took several hundred images of birds at rest and on the wing, just trying to get the feel of the new camera. I was impressed by thefaster focusing capability and faster FPS. However when I got home and looked at the images I was disappointed by all of the images, they where just blah. Not a one worth keeping. Most of the images where shot at 200-400 ISO and I thought they where noisy.

Second chance I got to use it was at a youth soccer game. I have shot a lot ofsoccergames as my son has played for more than a dozen years and now coachesa littlekids team. I used the ZD 35-100 + EC14wide open at f2.8 as it a very small field (U7) and wanted to blur the cluttered background as much as possible. I had shot the same field with the same lens but using the E-510 a couple of weeks earlier and had a keeper rate of over 25%.NowI used the E-30 and had less than a 2% keeper rate and even those I wasn't very happy with. A lot of them where miss focused,myfault probably as Iused the single point w/ diamond setting, should have just use a single point, so much for a having all those new focus points.All of the shots where at 200 ISO and Ithoughtthat they looked noisier than what the E-510 does.

Earlier today I picked up the ZD 12-60 lens at one the Ritz that'sclosing for $700 + tax, not a bad deal so I jumped on it.

Third outing, today,was toa Baseball game (minor league) took the E-30 with theZD 12-60 as I didn't think I could getin with anything bigger. Next time I will try to get in with the ZD 50-200. I went with some co-workers and they had boughtthe tickets, so we where sitting at the very top row. Had a great view of the game but was way to far for the ZD 12-60 to be effective,closer tothe front probably wouldn'thave been to bad. So due to the seating Itook farfew shots than what I would normaly have done. When I get home and look at the pics I'm shocked, they all lookedgood even at the higher ISOs. So what made the difference, the new lens, some setting I may have changed (the only change made was -1 on sharpening), oram I just getting used to it?

Any way I have gone on long enough, so I will just post some of the pics from tonights game.

No Post Proccessing or cropping, just straight outof the camera JPGs.

All are the E-30 w/[email protected] 60mm f4.0

ISO 400

ISO 640

ISO 800

ISO 1250

This is the kind of results I expected when I bought the E-30. So now I guess its a Love/Love situation.

satire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2009, 5:25 AM   #2

Well, I'm happy to hear that there is someone else on this forum using an E30.

Your initial feelings mimic mine. I too, have been somewhat concerned over the amount of noise in the first few series of images taken with the E30. I'm not averse to noise, mind you, as much as some people might be. Actually, I'd prefer noise in an image rather than some of the 'saran wrap'photosI've seen posted by folks who apply too much noise reduction in PP.

In an effort to better understand what I'm dealing with, I've begun to read Wrotniak's review of the E30 as well as his suggestions on settings for saturation, contrast, sharpness, etc. And , like you, have brought down the sharpness -1. Also John Foster's evaluations at BIOFOS.com are always a help.

With the E-510 only having 3 AF points, for most shooting, I simply set it for center point AF. That setting worked the best for me. At first, I thought wow, having the 11 point AF capabilities of the E30 would be a significant improvement. And, actually it is- however, I've found that my most consistent results come from using single point AF but move the point to anyone of the 11 locations on the OPV. If I use the 11 point AF auto setting the cameraoften gets confused and hunts.

The Noise filters are also doing something a bit different than in my E-510. In the E-510, I had it set at off. I find low the best settings for me in the E30-at least up 'til now. I'm still not sure if that's the right setting ultimately. Need to work on that some more.

At low ISO's, The images coming out of the E30 with my 14-54 are just as good as anything I was hoping for. It's when I compare my E30 results taken at 400ISO and above against the results of the E-510 taken at 400 or 800 the images from the E-5100 are definitely cleaner.

I do wonder how the photos would be with this camera and the 14-54 II version lens or the other lenses thathave contrast detect feature.

In general, coming from the E-510, I'm really happy with overall with so many features of the E30, size, larger OPV, location of information display in the OPV, Diopter adjustment, articulating screen, etc. The hi continuous burst rate is simply amazing as compared to the E-510. AF speed is clearly faster with the 50-200mm. The feel of the camera in hand -to me- is just about perfect.

Your images taken with the 12-60mm lens are just great and are what I would expect consistently from this camera. Post some more when you get a chance.

I'm off to New York for the weekend and taking the E30 with me. The friend we're visiting also is a shutterbug so, we'll be taking lots of pictures. I'm hoping the weather is going to cooperate as Manhattan and Central Park are beautiful in the Spring.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 8:42 AM   #3
PJM

Zig--If you're going to Central park, be sure to get up to Belvidere Castle on the north end. Folks rarely get up there. You might also want to check out the cathedral of St. John the Divine. It's one block east of the diner from Seinfeld on Broadway.
PJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 9:42 PM   #4

What is the jpeg setting? Have you set the cameras JPEG to Large -Super Fine?
(L-SF)

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 11:32 PM   #5

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
What is the jpeg setting? Have you set the cameras JPEG to Large -Super Fine?
(L-SF)

I always shoot at the highest jpeg setting, unless I use orf (which is rare).

Heres a pic taken today, just fooling around the house.

A basket of flowers, lit by a single lamp, custom WB, shot at ISO 400 handheld IS off.

E-30 w/ ZD 50mm @ f11 1/60s

Some light PP done.

Old May 2, 2009, 4:32 AM   #6

PJM wrote:
Quote:
Zig--If you're going to Central park, be sure to get up to Belvidere Castle on the north end. Folks rarely get up there. You might also want to check out the cathedral of St. John the Divine. It's one block east of the diner from Seinfeld on Broadway.
thanks for the suggestions. Weather is lousy for outdoorshooting-rainy and fog. We'll see if we can get to both locations today.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009, 7:56 AM   #7

Both of you E30 owners might want to keep an eye on this thread over at DPReview:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=31751490

Apparently Oly has released a 1.1 firmware for your camera. One person said it fixed a few things and I asked him what they were - hopefully he will respond. There's not much feedback onthe FW yet - I suspect there aren't many folks who have the E30 at this point.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009, 9:38 AM   #8

I updated to FW 1.1 the day I got it.

I'm happy with the photos I'm taking with the E-30 now, its just for the first three weeks I wasn't.