Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 3, 2009, 3:10 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,241
Default

Just out trying to learn about the 35-100.

I know that one shouldn't worry too much about viewing at 100%, but its stunning with this lens. The detail it brings to the sensor is astounding. I'll not show the 100% views. In fact there is no cropping of anything.

A fallen tree several years ago.



On the extreme opposite of the life cycle, a sapling.



I was wondering about the bokeh. The 50-200 could throw some rough, bright line boheh. The 35-100 can do the same thing.

100mm at f11



Same subject at 4.5



My personal favorite from todays outing.



The extremes wide open in some harsh light. 35mm f2



100mm f2




fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2009, 3:29 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,241
Default

I'll show one crop.

The uncropped:



And the crop:


fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 8:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,910
Default

Hi Greg: You've got both the 35-100 and the 50-200?? Wow, that's got to be about
$3,500in two lens!. I've got to get out of consulting, I don't think I could justify that unless I hit the lottery. Great shots.
:-)

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 8:27 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,241
Default

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg: You've got both the 35-100 and the 50-200?? Wow, that's got to be about
$3,500in two lens!. I've got to get out of consulting, I don't think I could justify that unless I hit the lottery. Great shots.
:-)

Steven R.
I've actually got both 50-200's.

I bought the 35-100 used a couple months ago for $1600, and thought I was a fool for doing that. When I look at today's prices, I feel a little bit better.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 8:49 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,910
Default

fldspringer wrote
Quote:
I've actually got both 50-200's.

I bought the 35-100 used a couple months ago for $1600, and thought I was a fool for doing that. When I look at today's prices, I feel a little bit better.

Greg

What's next? Are you going to get the 90-250?

I'm still debating whether to add the 70-300.

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 8:56 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
HarjTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,534
Default

Hi Greg


Some nice snaps and your right at how good the 35-100F2 is - its sharpness is just biting and at times I'm shocked how much detail that lens seems to just suck into a pic. I've got to a state that I hate not to use it, even though its a big beastie of a lens (smaller than the 50-200's though when theyre full extended) and I only use the 14-54 when I have no other choice. Pricewise, that $1600 you paid for looks like a steal at todays prices.

I want the 14-35F2 as its as sharp as the 35-100F2 and thats saying something so its a good thing Oly haven't fixed its AF problems and the price has shot up ... as I know I would have snapped one up by now!

Cheers

Harj

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 9:10 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 112
Default

fldspringer wrote:
Quote:
Just out trying to learn about the 35-100.

I know that one shouldn't worry too much about viewing at 100%, but its stunning with this lens. The detail it brings to the sensor is astounding. I'll not show the 100% views. In fact there is no cropping of anything.

Your going to love that lens.

I've had mine a couple of years, and it quickly became my favorite. If I don't need to shoot wide open I often pair it with the EC-14 for a 50-140mm f2.8 for a little more reach.






satire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 9:32 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,241
Default

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
What's next? Are you going to get the 90-250?

Next will be to offload the non-swd 50-200, the 11-22, the old 40-150, the 14-45, and the 35 macro. I've gathered too much stuff and the above just don't get used much at all.

I'd love to come up with the 300 f2.8, and I'd use it if I had it, but everone has their limits. If I stumbled on one for $3k, I'd have a hard time passing it up, but at $6000+ I have no choice but to pass.

I've thought about a 7-14, but fear it wouldn't get used.

Really, the 50-200 is still my main lens. The 50 macro would be next. The 35-100 has taken over third place as far as use goes. My 14-54 is a great lens, and is nice when stopped down to f4 or so. I'll be happy with this kit for a long time to come.

There are those that say there is a lack of lenses with Oly DSLRs. I see it in opposite terms. There are great lenses in this system, and you need to own a 4/3 camera in order to use them. The lens selection is the system's strongest point.

Quote:
I'm still debating whether to add the 70-300.
I haven't had that one yet:-)

From what I've seen, its a great lens. Big reach and VERY respectable output. Its a bargain. It will out-reach everthing I've got. I doubt you'd be sorry for picking one up.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 9:40 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,241
Default

satire23 wrote:
Quote:
I've had mine a couple of years, and it quickly became my favorite. If I don't need to shoot wide open I often pair it with the EC-14 for a 50-140mm f2.8 for a little more reach.

I have used that combo, and it does well. I'd say its a bit sharper than the 50-200 at the same reach.



And I already do love the lens. The weight is less of an issue as time goes on. The output is just astounding.

Greg

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 10:03 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,241
Default

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg


Some nice snaps and your right at how good the 35-100F2 is - its sharpness is just biting and at times I'm shocked how much detail that lens seems to just oops into a pic. I've got to a state that I hate not to use it, even though its a big beastie of a lens (smaller than the 50-200's though when theyre full extended) and I only use the 14-54 when I have no other choice. Pricewise, that $1600 you paid for looks like a steal at todays prices.

I know I preaching to the converted, but from my favorite above I cropped this out.


fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:11 AM.