Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 4, 2009, 8:44 PM   #1

Spent the weekend in Manhatten andhad a chance to go to Central Park early Saturday morning. Weather was cloudy and it had just stopped raining. At times, the heavy overcast skies made the lighting difficult. But one advantage to the less than perfect weather conditions was that there were significantly fewerpeople in the Park.

One thing is sure, Central Park is a favorite destinationfor photographers. The place was over run with people sporting all types, makes and models of digital cameras.

Here are a few with the rest being able to be seen at: http://www.pbase.com/zig123/centralpark

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2009, 7:09 AM   #2

Just wanted to take a minute to thank you PJM for suggesting Belvedere Towers and the cathedral of St. John's the divine.I did visit Belvedere and it was worth the walk. Quite aninteresting site - one of many in the park.

As for St John's the divine, unfortunately we had a tight schedule and couldn't make it on Saturday. Our plan was to get up Sunday morning and get there before our next visit on the schedule. We woke up to rain on Sunday and it only got worse as the day progressed. We ended up visiting the Tenement Museum and the Metropolitan Museum.

So many things to see and places to go in New York City. There's always next year.

Also, I wanted to comment on the noise concerns I expressed in an another post. After spending the weekend shooting a wide variety of subjects in less than ideal conditions, I'm quite pleased with the results. As already mentioned, the weather was fair to lousy. It was rainy, foggy or cloudy most of the weekend. We did catch a break on Saturfay morning into the afternoon when the Sun came out mid day. But, the weather quickly deteriorated and Sunday was a washout.

As a result, most of the shots were taken at 400 ISO or higher. The last shot above of the tiled ceiling was taken with a 14-54mm lens at f2.9 800 ISO. It has not had any noise reduction applied. The in camera noise filter is set to off. To my eyes, I'm happy with with the results.

I pretty much had the camera set to manual mode as I wanted to mess around taking shots using different settings asI wanted to see what settings would produce the best results.

To my eyes, images taken at ISOs up to 800 are really quite acceptable with post processing needed to clean up noise at ISO's at 1000 and up. I tried ISO of 1250 and 1600 with 1600 not very good at all. I probably wont go there as a result.

As far as shooting birds are concerned, my results are pretty good up too ISO640. Anything above that, the detail just isn't there when you go to crop and enlarge.

Last point, all my shots were taken using the 14-54mm lens. I did bring the 50-200mm lens along with me but when we went to Central Park, i left it back in the apartment as I really didn't think I'd get a chance to use it, the weather was too iffy, and I didn't bring along a camera back pack-so didn't have a place to store it in case it rained.

I've never used a 12-60mm lens. If I did my feelings might be a bit different but, if I only could use one lens, it would definitely be the 14-54mm. It's just a great overall lens to work with.

Zig

Old May 5, 2009, 10:36 AM   #3

I am glad that 14-54 found such a good owner.

Central Park looks like a fantastic place to go shooting. I have seenpictures of that bridge before in various compositions. Overall,the imagesremind mea lot of Stanley Park in Vancouver. The only time I've been anywherenear Manhattan is flying over on my way from Newark airport to Cooperstown by way of Albany on my way to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

I need to make that trip again.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009, 2:21 PM   #4

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
I am glad that 14-54 found such a good owner.

Central Park looks like a fantastic place to go shooting. I have seenpictures of that bridge before in various compositions. Overall,the imagesremind mea lot of Stanley Park in Vancouver. The only time I've been anywherenear Manhattan is flying over on my way from Newark airport to Cooperstown by way of Albany on my way to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

I need to make that trip again.
Hi Greg,

yes, indeed the 14-54mm found a good home here on the Cape.

As for Central Park, it truly is a photographer's dream. The sheer size of it is amazing when you consider that it's smack in the middle of a huge City. There are so many different things to photograph that it's impossible to catagorize. Then there are the people that frequent the park from the homeless people, to the runners, the visitors, dog owners..I could go on and on.

Of course, like the city itself, it pays to go there with a friend that ittotally familair with it as I did. My first time in New York City, my wife and I drove into the city on the way home from Maryland many years ago. Our intention was to stay a day or two and do some sight seeing. We had never been there before and we had no plan nor any idea of where to go or what to do. After a few hours of getting frustrated with the transit system and getting lost, we got into our car and drove home.

Going there with some one familiar with the area makes a world of difference.

And yes, you should go there-it's well worth the effort.

Zig

Old May 6, 2009, 6:28 AM   #5

I don't think I'll ever see this place in person. I'm too much of a country boy and I am alergic to high population density.

One thing that surprises me is there are many shots with few or no people in them. It must have been early morning. In any case, looks like a beautiful place and thanks for sharing.

I'll also agree about the 14-54. Outstanding lens and reasonable price and bet it fits that E30 like a glove! Is it the old version, or did you get the new one with the camera?

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2009, 6:54 AM   #6

Hi Greg,

The 14-54mm is the older version, which I was lucky enough to buy from another forum member. I had a 14-45mm lens which came with the E-500. While I thought the images coming from the it were okay, the 14-54mm really is an improvement in lower lighting situations and IMO, the IQ is generally a lot better.

As for Central Park, we got there around 6:30am. It turned out to be the right thing to do as there weren't a lot of people around at that hour, largely due to the weather. It had just stopped raining and it was overcast with the forcast calling for showers throughout the day. Normally, there are many people at that hour walking their dogs,joggers, and shutterbugs taking pictures.

As the morning progressed, and the weather improved, there was a huge increase in the amount of people enjoying the park. One thing I hadn't counted on was the fact that there are walking tours everywhere with people from a myriad of countries all trooping about from one location to the next with the guide explaining what they are seeing in their native langauge. Add to that horse and buggy tours, street vendors, and people playing all kinds of music as well as artists trying to capture what they're seeing on canvas, and you get the picture.

Zig