Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 13, 2009, 11:39 PM   #11

Well, the official word from Olympus is that the unveiling of the new micro four-thirds camera will be on June 15.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009, 2:24 AM   #12

The style & size (if it's like last's year's mock up) will be interesting, along with the price. Some of the comments from Olympus suggest that this camera is aimed at people who consider DSLRs to be too big and expensive, so logic MAY tell us that it will be cheaper than the E-450.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009, 1:12 PM   #13

It could very well be the sub-DSLR camera Olympus desperately needs. Lord knows their point & shoot lineup should all be lined up and shot...or maybe, the people who came up with them. Only Nikon can come close to touching Olympus as an underperforming producer of quality point & shoots when looking at the traditional camera makers.

I've always had a spot in my heart for the Sigma DP1...just never have been able to bring myself to buy one. I have a feeling if I did, I'd probably love it, warts and all. If this new Olympus is anything close ergonomically to what they've shown, it could be something like a DP1 with changeable lenses.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009, 2:41 PM   #14

Boy, Greg... you really hit that Olympus/Nikon/point-and-shoot thing squarely on the head. I continue to have a soft spot in my heart for Olympus - even though the Pentax K200D narrowly eked out the Oly E-520 in my DSLR purchase decision last summer.

My second camera is a Panasonic LX3... but I plan on a third camera for my kit - to split the difference between the Pentax (with its big, heavy and fast DA* lenses) and the Panny (light, small, fantastic image quality for its size - but with very limited zoom). The new camera might be a superzoom (think Panasonic FZ28 or its replacement - or the Sony HX1).

But the right micro four-thirds camera might be the best solution of all. Panasonic's G1 and GH1 are great cameras - but inexpensive they're not. If Olympus positions the new camera between point-and-shoots and DSLRs (while keeping lens cost reasonable), they could have smash hit that may take the brand to a whole new level.

If the camera is that - or close to that (puh-leeze Olympus, tell me the camera has a viewfinder), I'm there. I wouldn't rule out an E-420, but MFT sounds even better to me.
Old May 14, 2009, 5:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post

But the right micro four-thirds camera might be the best solution of all. Panasonic's G1 and GH1 are great cameras - but inexpensive they're not. If Olympus positions the new camera between point-and-shoots and DSLRs (while keeping lens cost reasonable), they could have smash hit that may take the brand to a whole new level.
As important as pricing and camera body design is to the success of this micro four thirds offering from Olympus, the release of a couple of fast prime lenses along with the obligatory 14-50mm and 40-150mm lenses would really get enthusiasts excited. My strong belief is that Olympus' existing customer base will be the first buyers of this camera.

June 15th is but 4 short weeks away.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009, 6:08 PM   #16

If the new camera is as small as the mock ups, then perhaps along with 14-42mm and 40-150mm lenses, I think they may also add a tiny pancake zoom, maybe 18-36mm. Then it would truly be a pocketable camera.
Old May 14, 2009, 10:27 PM   #17

I agree about the lenses - very important. Yes, the 14-42 and 40-150mm lenses (or something comparable) are vital. If not a pancake zoom - then maybe a MFT version of the 25mm prime. But it must be at least f/2.8 - preferably even faster. And, believe it or not, I think an MFT version of the 18-180mm zoom might make most superzoom point-and-shoot cameras suddenly irrelevent.

Olympus has a big opportunity to take it to the next level here. This is a camera and system that - if done right - can be big with newbies, people moving up from point-and-shoots, and experienced photographers. I really hope it's ready for prime time. Because the competition will be fierce: Digital SLRs, the better point-and-shoots, Panasonic's MFT system and Samsung's mirrorless APS-C camera.
Old May 14, 2009, 10:37 PM   #18

I've had one other idea that a(later) Olympus sized micro4/3 could implement: A retractable mount!!!!!

Because there is no mirror box, the mount itself could retract when the camera is switched off. Then you could get the mount & the lens into the body by another, maybe, 10-15mm. So if you had a pancake lens, it could end up being flush when switched off!!!

And even a 14-42mm lens would not protrude excessively when swiched off.