Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 7, 2009, 9:43 AM   #1

Default Olympus Micro Four-Thirds

I can't vouch for the accuracy of this - I don't claim to have any important inside information - but while at I was B&H yesterday, a salesman let slip that Olympus's micro fourth-thirds camera is due in June. No exact date, just "in June." And he said not to expect it to look like those images of a mock-up we all saw last year - that the design had changed a number of times since then. Now, again, I make no claims here - I'm just passing along what I heard. But these guys have never steered me wrong before. I guess we'll see. But if it's true, it's pretty exciting.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2009, 4:33 PM   #2

Thanks for the headsup.. I'm not sure what Oly are going to do in terms of design for their M43 - rangefinder.. or something different .. ?

Lets see what they can come up with.

Now regards the M43 ... Pana's Gh1 seems to be causing a wee bit of a stir .. esp if you read the NYTimes.com which had a 2 page article on the new cam.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2009, 5:23 PM   #3

Whatever Oly does... I hope the camera has a viewfinder.
Old May 7, 2009, 8:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
Whatever Oly does... I hope the camera has a viewfinder.
hmmmm.....

I'm not sure how they'd implement that if the lenses are interchangeable. How would you use it, when you have a different lens attached?

(didn't Leica do that with their rangfinder cameras with interchangeable lenses though??)
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 5:15 PM   #5

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Perhaps you're making certain assumptions. The salesman told me not to assume the new camera will look anything like last year's photo mock-up. So we can't assume it'll be a rangefinder. But even if it looks like one, Panasonic's MFT camera has an electronic viewfinder that works with different lenses. Why not the Olympus camera?
Old May 8, 2009, 9:05 PM   #6

I'm sorry, I thought you meant an optical viewfinder. If it has an optical viewfinder then it would be like an old rangefinder.

So I guess you're talking about an EVF?? If the new Olympus is quite small, I guess it may not have an EVF.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 11:32 PM   #7

Well, you may be right either way. Panasonic's LX3 is a rangefinder-a-like and there's no room for a viewfinder there - at least not with a three-inch LCD. But I can dream.
Old May 9, 2009, 10:41 AM   #8

Well, June is the date for the Official Press Release when the full details of Olympus' offering will be announced.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 11:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
I can't vouch for the accuracy of this - I don't claim to have any important inside information - but while at I was B&H yesterday, a salesman let slip that Olympus's micro fourth-thirds camera is due in June. No exact date, just "in June." And he said not to expect it to look like those images of a mock-up we all saw last year - that the design had changed a number of times since then. Now, again, I make no claims here - I'm just passing along what I heard. But these guys have never steered me wrong before. I guess we'll see. But if it's true, it's pretty exciting.
Dont know if this is it for Micro, but QVC.com has Today's special value from Olympus that is to be released in June but they are launching today. Olympus E-450 with two lenses, 1 GB XD card and a carrying case for all of extras.. It is 10MP, live view, face detection etc. Lens are 14-42 and 40-150. It has a new type Lithium battery with charger. It is 5-1/8" W X3-5/8" H and 2-1/8" D. Today's price is $599.00 with free shipping.
tomjeff1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 12:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjeff1105 View Post
Dont know if this is it for Micro, but QVC.com has Today's special value from Olympus that is to be released in June but they are launching today. Olympus E-450 with two lenses, 1 GB XD card and a carrying case for all of extras.. It is 10MP, live view, face detection etc. Lens are 14-42 and 40-150. It has a new type Lithium battery with charger. It is 5-1/8" W X3-5/8" H and 2-1/8" D. Today's price is $599.00 with free shipping.

Thanks for the heads up but, no the E-450 is a modified version of the E-420 DSLR. It is a fourthirds system camera. It is interesting to see Olympus taking advantage of the home shopping networks. I hope that avenue is extremely succesful for them. The more success Oly has, the quicker they will develop and release additional lenses, as well as improve DR.
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote