Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 8, 2009, 8:32 PM   #11

I've always had the highest respect for all the moderators and administrators here. I must say I'm a bit uncormfortable being high maintainence.

How about if I just keep an open mind and keep an eye on the site. If it clearly deliniates the ad from the post, I'll re-examine my stance. For now, i'm not comfortable starting another thread due the reasons already stated.

Thanks for all you do, guys (and gals if they exist). I know its a tough job and I apologise for making your duties tougher.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 9:16 PM   #12

liked the old Steve's presentation better too.
_________
boBBrennan[/QUOTE]

I made a post about this in this forum in another thread. The font for me is very hard to read. I will try to put up with it and hang around. I learn so much here and try to give back when I can. I too LIKE THE "OLD" Steves presentation WAY better.

But I also understand what Jim C is saying about better data retention and the like

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 9:21 PM   #13
Administrator

Thanks Greg (for keeping an open mind). I'm sure it's going to be a tough job for IB to keep everyone happy, while still insuring adequate revenue to keep the site up and running (and sure, ads play a role in that area). In order to figure out the best approach to improving the site, community feedback is important. So, please don't feel like you can't voice your concerns about changes you are uncomfortable with.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 9:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmCoder View Post
FWIW -- I will stick around for a while, possibly a long time, but I agree that 'new is not always better'.... I liked the old Steve's presentation better too.
I did write that I like the old WOW presentation better but I also said I would hang around here for a while too.

Thanks Jim for the explian and you too Greg for your honesty and straight up position.

........ healthy dissertation is what usually 'fixes things' and presentation compromises in the IT world almost always is a given, be it page layout, colors, animation, data content etc. All of us who ever made an online happening thought it was 'the good deal' and all of us who ever thought so knew it maybe was not, either in our own mind or because we began getting feedback that not everyone was as pleased about it as was the creator. To do compromising is to make the most of what we've got and understanding that any changes will likely bring up more comments of 'good and not so good'. Then too, some things simply cannot be compromised but likely this layout template can be and maybe it will be.

So, I will wait and see how this new deal impacts my likes/dislikes, right now I don't like the advertising any more than Greg does. I certainly appreciate Greg for his saying so and for listening and looking for any compromises that may eventually take place in the forums layout regarding the advertising which may allow him to continue taking part here. Since I am perpetually logged in and do not see the ads unless I disengage, 'outta sight - outta mind for the most part' works pretty well for me.

As I've said before (see my forum moniker) I was fortunate to have worked my whole career in the progressive arena that is Information Technology and I did it for 48 years with only four companies, the final 33 years at just two. During that time I was involved with designing, writing, implementing and maintaining & managing real time online systems. I am now retired but those many times of both delight and frustration were a part of 'customer satisfying' work that began when they started working with the production versions..... "some things will change if input is constructive with thought and other things will change because the initial deal turns out not to be so good after all."

FWIW, I still liked the old board presentation better, mostly because I knew how to make it work.......for me. The new is interesting and for now really fast, will it be after the data are built on....most users probably won't care by then and most will not be bothered by the ads after a while, of course some will care and some will be offended, both are to be respected.

I am willing to wait it out because to me the most important part of Steve's is not the software running the forums, it is the people I've come to like and learn from, some of whom are the admins/moderators.

Last edited by boBBrennan; May 10, 2009 at 7:23 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 4:57 PM   #15

I just realised that vBulletin is used over at the Dgrin.com forums ...which is one of my other favorite camera sites.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=120750

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/

And for the really serious togs...

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...digital-forum/

The Ol'd Leica forum migrated to the Vbulletin software a year or so ago.

If the forums can be made to look and behave like those then the change over to the new forums will be just great.

Regards the ads... we need to give the Jim & Co time to sort this out... although I do agree with Greg that the ads currently are too not subtle or professional/friendly at all... so in other words.. they need to be relocated to somewhere else on the page.

Also .. the red needs to be toned down a wee bit.. its a wee bit well.... tooo red! ..

Cheers

Harj

UPDATE:

Can we have the light theme as the default ?? Its so much better on the eyes - better default font and the colour layout is better ... although I do realise that the black/red is Steve's corporate look.

Last edited by HarjTT; May 9, 2009 at 5:25 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 7:02 AM   #16

Default Upon further reflection

I've been thinking this thread the last few days and I keep coming back to the view that while change, in and of itself, is not necessarily always positive, it is indeed inevitable as nothing stays static.

And so, Steve's Digicams has made changes, in an effort to improve performance as well as to offset the cost associated with maintaining a site like this. A website from which we all benefit from yet, with no financial contributions being made.

I first visited this site when I was in the market for my first 'real' digital camera in 2004. I bought an Olympus C-5060WZ camera largely based on the reviews I read on this site as well as the comments made by the forum members. Forum members also referenced a couple of additional sites, one being Wrotniak.net where I could learn more valuable information about the C-5060WZ. It was a decision I never regretted.

Since that time, I've become familair with many other websites that are similar to Steve's, providing the same information and I visit them often.
Yet, when I get up in the morning, the first site I visit is Steve's. Reason being is that everyone associated with the site - the moderators, administrators work hard and are sincere in their efforts to provide factual information on the latest and greatest in equipment, recommendations on how to get the most out the cameras we use, as well as the forum members whom I've got to know and who continue to share their knowledge with all of us- as a result I've learned a lot.

Yes, change is inevitable. But the one thing that hasn't changed here is the people.

For that reason, I'll stick around for a while.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 12:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Yes, change is inevitable. But the one thing that hasn't changed here is the people.

For that reason, I'll stick around for a while.

Zig
I'm not enthusiastic about the new look but you're right that the one thing that is constant in this world, is change.

I figure we'll get used to the new look and figure it out.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 1:32 PM   #18

So far I miss the green arrows that tell me which posts I haven't read. And I'm not enthusiastic about only getting email notifications in real time rather than once a day - not sure why the bandwith implications between the two are so different.

Also, I'm not sure what it means to be a "Senior Member" of the forum - does that mean folks will be deluded into thinking I know what i'm talking about? (grin)

Ted
Old May 10, 2009, 3:00 PM   #19

Senior = someone who likes hanging around steves !

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 4:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
So far I miss the green arrows that tell me which posts I haven't read. And I'm not enthusiastic about only getting email notifications in real time rather than once a day - not sure why the bandwith implications between the two are so different.
Ted
I'm still annoyed about not being able to tell which post updates i haven't read. Without the green arrows this is a real inconvenience as far as i'm concerned...