Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 7, 2009, 9:09 PM   #1

Default Good while it lasted

I'd just like to thank all of you for putting up with me on this forum. I'm not comfortable with the new ownership's comercial program and I'm going to bow out. There are advertisements that show only when not signed in that appear in ways that are not subtle.

Because I'm not comfortable, I'll stop posting.

Thanks again to everyone for everything.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2009, 11:19 PM   #2

Default I see what you are saying...

Don't blame you at all. You will be missed. This forum seems to have a small core of semi-constant posters.

New never is necessarily better.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2009, 11:51 PM   #3

Greg, although I didn't really know you, I read most of your posts, and as greg Chappell said, you will be missed. I think I will hang out awhile and see how it goes. Take care my friend... Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 5:26 AM   #4

Default Sorry to hear you're going

Hi Greg,
Well, I woke up to this bit of sorry news............Not good!
I hope we run into each other in another forum somewhere.
'til then, stay well.
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 8:23 AM   #5

.......thanks Greg for having been here

Like the others I will miss your posts and especially your photos and willingness to share results and knowledge. I have enjoyed the eFriendship.

FWIW -- I will stick around for a while, possibly a long time, but I agree that 'new is not always better'.... I still like my E-300 very much and one of my cars is now 10years old. I liked the old Steve's presentation better too.
_________
boBBrennan
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 9:08 AM   #6

Hi Greg

Sorry to see you leave mate! I'm not too keen on the look of the new forum look and didn;t even notice the ads when your not logged in. If they were not so intrusive it wouldn't bee a big deal but I do know what you mean about them - how can you hav an advert in someones post ???

I know its early days as well with the new setup but I think we as forum members need to let the admins know that having adverts place were they are is wrong and that this new "feature" is spoiling what used to be one of the best camera forums on the net.

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; May 8, 2009 at 9:13 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 10:15 AM   #7
Administrator

Hey Greg.

What you're seeing for ads when not logged is a relatively standard vBulletin template (only with customization to try and match the colors of the main site using a new dark theme which is still being enhanced). You'll see the same thing in other forums using those types of templates. Take this photography forum running vBulletin as an example. Here's a thread I was looking at earlier when googling for info on Kenko light meters (which are apparently based on the old Konica Minolta meters). Scroll down and you'll see the ad placement inserted between posts in threads when not logged in:

http://www.photomalaysia.com/forums/...ad.php?t=36065

Please don't jump to the wrong conclusions. We've had issues with the old wowBB setup for a very long time (including many corrupted data records leading to thousands of missing threads due to problems with some files becoming truncated when we switched hosts a while back, as well as serious performance issues to due some of the design limitations. We had explored other options in the past, including setting up a test system using different forums software early last year, with pros and cons to any of them (especially the available search features and editors for making posts, since most require user typed bb code for more functionality)

Thanks to the efforts of the Internet Brands team (with a dedicated team of individuals working on complicated scripts to migrate this data), the forums are now moved to a more robust platform using vBulletin. That will allow them to enhance the forums easier going forward. So, don't assume that what you see upon initial cutover is not going to be improved upon as time passes. The amount of change they could make was limited in part by how they'd need to transition the data.

Frankly, I'm impressed with the efforts so far. For example, when I pointed out some of the data issues we had from previous host changes, they managed to retrieve many thousands of posts that had missing header (thread/topic records) in our old wowBB system because of truncated files when moving a while back. So, now these posts will show up in searches for posts and member history (with a note that they are Recovered threads in the topics); thanks to hard work on custom scripts designed to rebuild the topics records that were missing and/or corrupted.

They also worked hard on things like refining the default vBulletin search engine to work better with our lens searches (with odd strings like f/2.8 or f/3.5-4.5 that wouldn't work properly in most forums software search engines. The same thing goes for the WYSIWYG editor that members have become accustomed to having. A lot of work went into providing that kind of feature (that you don't see implemented in most vBulletin systems yet), and they've continued to iron out "kinks" we're finding post migration.

Ditto for our the software handles image attachments. They've worked hard to try and maintain that functionality (missing from many other forums systems that require to use a different web site for embedding images), and have been working towards correcting post migration bugs found with it. Also, keep in mind that when you have that functionality, it increases storage and bandwidth costs (since the images are stored on the site servers if you attach an image versus including a url to it from another server that allows hot linking).

Frankly, I've seen comments for a very long time (i.e. years) that the forums are an expense for the site because of this kind of feature. You don't get a lot of click throughs on the ads (which were turned on even when logged in with the wowBB software, with a banner ad at the top of page). But, despite that expense (especially bandwidth costs), Steve wanted to maintain the forums to support the friendly community of members here, giving them a fun place to discuss cameras and photography. But, keeping that functionality (which Internet Brands has maintained thus far) is not cheap.

Again, I've personally been very impressed at the responsiveness of the Internet Brands team at responding to input. Although it may not be perfect yet, a lot of effort went into moving the forums to a platform that will allow more flexibility going forward. I'm already putting together a list of things I think would help out (and they've already incorporated a number of them leading up to and following this migration).

So, if you don't like something, post a comment about it in the Contact Steve's Forum. They want input from forum members to provide a better experience here during development efforts going forward. :-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 7:59 PM   #8

To Jim C:

Internet Brands has paid for the right to do what they want, and I'm not going to speak to those rights.

I find the advertisements to be tacky. There is no separating the original post from the advertisements and appears as some type of endorsement. There is nothing stopping a Broadway Photo or other Brooklyn scam shop ad from appearing within my post. I won't partake. Sorry. Internet Brands can do as they like, but so can I. As a side note, your example (from Malaysia), IMHO is much more tastefully implemented than this.

To the rest of you:

Your words are more than kind. I just wanted everyone to know I was fine and my leaving had nothing to do with any personality I've had the pleasure of meeting on this forum. I wish you nothing but the best. Really, I wish the new owners the best also. I'm just sensitive to the format. My issue, not yours.

Thanks again,

Greg (the northern one)
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 9:04 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
There is nothing stopping a Broadway Photo or other Brooklyn scam shop ad from appearing within my post.
This brings up something I'd like to address. We have the ability to block any advertiser that ends up on this site. If an ad appears on the site for a less-than-creditable company, please report it to us and we'll have it removed.
IB-Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 9:11 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
I find the advertisements to be tacky. There is no separating the original post from the advertisements and appears as some type of endorsement. There is nothing stopping a Broadway Photo or other Brooklyn scam shop ad from appearing within my post. I won't partake. Sorry. Internet Brands can do as they like, but so can I. As a side note, your example (from Malaysia), IMHO is much more tastefully implemented than this.
Greg.. I don't think you're getting my point, and that's probably my fault for not explaining better. What you're seeing is a template used in the vBulletin software product we just finished migrating to. It can be modified and enhanced (as many web sites do after they begin using this software). That modification and customization takes time. ;-)

The main thrust of this initial effort was to migrate the forums to a platform that makes it easier to enhance going forward, and most of what you're seeing is just the way the vBulletin templates we went with are designed to handle things like ad placement. From what I've seen, the IB team is open to suggestions from members on how to improve the forums and wants input from the community on how to accomplish that.

So, when you see something that can be improved upon, please use the Contact Steve's Forum to bring it to their attention so they'll know how members feel about it. That feedback will also help them to prioritize their efforts at improving the site for community members (and I've already passed on a link to this thread).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote