Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 10, 2009, 12:10 PM   #1

Default E-30 at 3200 ISO

Went with some friends last night to a Roller Derby.

Being an indoor event I expected the lighting to be poor, it was. So I brought the E-30 w/ 35-100mm + EC14.

Even at 3200 ISO and f2.8 the shutter speed was not fast enough for good images. Most are soft due to motion blur and the CAF had a hard time locking on.

First time I have actually had to use that high of an ISO. Ran the images thru Noise Ninja at default settings, no other Post Processing done. Started off using JPEG but switched to raw half way thru to see if it would make a difference, but due to my limited processing skill, they both seem about the same.

1/320s @ 141mm

1/250s @ 114mm

1/250s @ 141mm

1/250s @ 87mm

The first image at a faster shutter speed 1/320s is much noiser than the others at a slower speed 1/250s. An even slower shutter speed of 1/200s would have been even better, but the motion blur would have been worse.

As I have noticed before at higher ISO settings it is very important to get the exposure right as it helps a lot with the noise in dark areas.
satire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2009, 12:34 PM   #2

Hey Satire

Nice to see some sports pics with the 35-100F2 and the TC .. theyre not bad at all considering that they were shot at ISO3200 and definitely good point about nailing the exposure at the higher ISO.

I do think that Oly need to improve the CAF ... its just not good enough in my opinion and I had been hoping that with the E30 that they would have been able to improve over the system that was first developed for the E3. Looks like they still have a way to go... I've basically given up on CAF on my E3.. its still pretty poor even with the 1.4 update with just too many pics not being in focus or even close to focus.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 12:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hey Satire

I do think that Oly need to improve the CAF ... its just not good enough in my opinion and I had been hoping that with the E30 that they would have been able to improve over the system that was first developed for the E3.

Cheers

Harj
Hey Harj - did you see over on DPReview that folks are saying that the E30 seems to fix the AF issues with the 14-35mmF/2? Kinda exasperating - I'm not ready to let go of the E3...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 3:07 PM   #4

HI Ted

Yeah I saw those posts .. but I got an e-mail back from Oly Europe regards the WB issue on my E3 since the 1.4 update and while I was at it, I asked about when there would be a real fix for the 14-35F2 poor AF in low light and esp at $2000USD + here's what they had to say:

"The product manager informed that the current 14-35mm lenses has improved the focus performance compared to the older 14-35mm lenses."

So the prob was or isn;t with the camera but with the lens and they ahd to make a change to the lens to improve it but from what I can tell its still not up to par on any of the E series cams. How big a change between the lenses is anyones guess but if there is a big change than I think the earlier 14-35F2 owners should get a replacement.. in the meantime with lens prices going thro the roof, I'm holding tight unless the Leica D 25 F1,4 shows up!

Regards my E3 .. oly have asked me to ship it in for a service, so I'll be doing that shortly .. well after they tell that theyre going to be paying for anything that now needs fixing!

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 9:31 PM   #5

Quote:
HI Ted

Regards my E3 .. oly have asked me to ship it in for a service, so I'll be doing that shortly .. well after they tell that theyre going to be paying for anything that now needs fixing!

Cheers

Harj

Where do you have to ship it - can't they repair it in London?
Old May 10, 2009, 9:48 PM   #6

Quote:
HI Ted

Yeah I saw those posts .. but I got an e-mail back from Oly Europe regards the WB issue on my E3 since the 1.4 update and while I was at it, I asked about when there would be a real fix for the 14-35F2 poor AF in low light and esp at $2000USD + here's what they had to say:

"The product manager informed that the current 14-35mm lenses has improved the focus performance compared to the older 14-35mm lenses."

So the prob was or isn;t with the camera but with the lens and they ahd to make a change to the lens to improve it but from what I can tell its still not up to par on any of the E series cams. How big a change between the lenses is anyones guess but if there is a big change than I think the earlier 14-35F2 owners should get a replacement.. in the meantime with lens prices going thro the roof, I'm holding tight unless the Leica D 25 F1,4 shows up!

I saw a guy on the Olympus DSLR forum who noted his "older" 14-35 f2, which he has had worlds of problems with on his E3, now works almost perfectly with his new E30 DSLR..

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....ssage=31806689
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 9:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by satire23 View Post
Went with some friends last night to a Roller Derby.

Let me guess....did you first try posting more than four images only to find out the limit to hyperlinks is now four? I just did too...

In any event, these look pretty darn good to me.

I can remember watching roller derby way, way back on television. Like pro wrestling, sometimes it can be as entertaining watching the people there watching the action as the action itself!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 1:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I saw a guy on the Olympus DSLR forum who noted his "older" 14-35 f2, which he has had worlds of problems with on his E3, now works almost perfectly with his new E30 DSLR..

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....ssage=31806689
Hi, Greg

Yeah, that was the thread I was refering Harj to. Harj is saying he believes the newer versions of that lens may be fine with the E3, but like me he's not able to spring for that USD2,100 lens and especially not unless we know the newer version works on the E3.

Ted

PS: If I knew the newer version of that lens worked on the E3 I'd sell a number of Oly lenses I don't use, to get it (and if I could sell them in some way other than an EBay auction, which I don't have the time to track). I rarely use the E-500 camera body and the Zuiko D 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5, the Zuiko D 40-150mm f/3.5-4.5, the legacy Zuiko 100mm f/2, and I'd even sell my beloved Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5. But not my soul (grin).

Last edited by tkurkowski; May 12, 2009 at 2:03 PM.
Old May 12, 2009, 6:30 PM   #9

Hi Ted,

CraigsList.com and Fourthirdsphot.com are two good alternatives to EBay when it comes to selling used Oly gear.
Here is a link to Fourthirds' buy/sell forum:
http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43

I've personally sold a number of Olympus lenses on Craig's List all good experiences. One of the benefits of Craig's List (besides being free) is that you meet the buyer, in person and get your cash upfront.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote