Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 10, 2009, 9:14 PM   #1

Default Horse Track Again...this time with the E-1

There was a definite feeling of rain in the air this morning, so I left the E520 at home today and took the E1 to the track, along with the 12-60 and 50-200 SWD Zuikos.

Wound up being no rain, but I'm glad I took the E1 for this trip. I played with both single and continuous AF, along with using both single and all three focus points active at once. The E1 seems to be able to keep a higher percentage of images in focus using continuous AF than the more recent bodies I've tried doing this (E510 and E520).

Needless to say, the wonderfully bright, 100% finder of the E1 was also a nice change in shooting a subject moving this fast.

Instead of thinking about what newer DSLR I want to buy some day, I may just send the E1 to Olympus and splurge to have it serviced/cleaned, and have the freakin' grip material replaced again since its' starting to get loose (again)...

*Just another note regarding my disappointment with this sites' "new" format, you are now limited to four hyperlinks per post. The rest of what I shot today can be viewed from either here..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...1_ELQse#P-1-15

..or, I posted a more thorough review of the day at another site with a much more user-friendly format for anyone not wanting to go to the above web page..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=31826182

Last edited by Greg Chappell; May 10, 2009 at 10:27 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2009, 11:15 PM   #2

Your results with the E-1/12-60/50-200 really are as impressive as the shots you recently posted using the E-520. Wonderfully sharp and detailed.

Makes me want to go to a horse race .

Also, at the price the E-1s are generally being sold at today, they are a steal. If the E-1 only had IS......Of course, I could get a Pany Leica lens that is image stabilized. Hmmmmm..............
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 12:08 AM   #3

.......I nearly saw you there today (had I gone). The family were here today for Mother's Day stop by and while sitting around talking my son, son-in-law, and grandson decided to run out there for a while. A horse my son once had a stake in was to run, did & won... they had a good day.

I did not go because I did dinner for Bonnie today...... I did think about you maybe being at the home stretch turn.

These are again just great photos, thanks for sharing.

As usual I have seen the SmugMug gallery........ very nice and enjoyable to see.

It is a bummer about the limit, and some of that can be taken up if one uses a 'smiley thingy', maybe it is one of the things that will change.
____
boBB

Last edited by boBBrennan; May 11, 2009 at 12:10 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 12:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmCoder View Post
.......I nearly saw you there today (had I gone). The family were here today for Mother's Day stop by and while sitting around talking my son, son-in-law, and grandson decided to run out there for a while. A horse my son once had a stake in was to run, did & won... they had a good day.

I did not go because I did dinner for Bonnie today...... I did think about you maybe being at the home stretch turn.

These are again just great photos, thanks for sharing.

As usual I have seen the SmugMug gallery........ very nice and enjoyable to see.

It is a bummer about the limit, and some of that can be taken up if one uses a 'smiley thingy', maybe it is one of the things that will change.
____
boBB
Darn! I woulda liked to meet you.

I bet the first four races prior to the start of race #1...wagered a grand total of $8 on four $2 bets. Won in race 4. $6.40 on "Summer in Dixie" and $2.80 in another picking the Place horse, so won more money than I bet, maybe for the first time, ever. I quit while I was ahead.
Old May 11, 2009, 5:43 PM   #5

Hey Greg

Great work.. the pics from the E1 just seem to have that extra pop... can;t pin it down but there is something a bit different in these flles compared to the 520.

Looks like it was a fab day out...might have to go down to a racecourse myself and see what its all about... but over here I'd have to watch out for the toff's!

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 10:50 PM   #6

Thanks, HarjTT.

I am afraid you'd need to explain to me what the word "toff's" means!

While I was there I was playing quite a bit with both single and continuous AF as well as single and multiple AF point use, and I have to say, the E1 was more responsive and had a higher hit rate than the E520 when I used multiple AF point and continuous AF, doing an excellent job adjusting as I zoomed in and out while the horses ran by.

The E520 did well using single AF to do very fast single image shots as the pack ran by, but being able to just hold the release of the E1 down and zoom the lens as needed while they ran past was a lot of fun.