Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 12, 2009, 7:24 AM   #1

Default E620 remote control

I am trying to find out if the remote on the 620 is solely infra red or if the wired remote can also be used, and am getting conflicting information. The user manual only mentions the RM-1 infra red release but the Olympus Japan E620 website also mentions the RM-UC1 wired remote as an option. Also, the manual makes absolutely no mention of the wired remote when talking about the multi connector on the back of the body.
I would like to replace my E500 with the 620 but not if the only remote is the IR one. I have written twice to Olympus UK but have not had a reply.

Chris
fotobozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2009, 10:47 AM   #2

The wired RM-UC1 should work. The B&H page shows it works on the E510 and E410 via the USB adaptor:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_Release.html

If I wanted the closest thing to a cable release for my E520, that's what I would buy.

B&H probably have just not updated their ad to include the E520, E420 and now the E620 to cameras it will work with. Call a store with a knowledge of Olympus gear like B&H to confirm. Probably one of the last places you want to trust is a "technical advisor" answering the phone at Olympus! The times I've called them, they tend not to be too up-to-date on the camera system, which makes no sense, but.....

Last edited by Greg Chappell; May 12, 2009 at 11:54 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 12:29 PM   #3

Greg is correct, the RM-UC1 is listed on Olympus' website as being compatible with the E620. Here are the specifications found on Olympus' site:

ShutterProduct typeComputerized focal-plane shutter
Shutter speedP(Ps), S, A, M mode: 60 - 1/4000 sec.
Bulb: Up to 30 min. selectable via menu (Default: eight mins.)
1/3, 1/2, or 1EV steps selectable.
Self-timerOperation time: 12 sec., 2 sec. (cancel available)

Remote cable releaseAvailable (with optional RM-UC1 Remote cable.)

Optical remote controlOperation time: 2 sec., 0 sec., bulb control available (with optional RM-1 remote control)

Anti shock modeAvailable (1 to 30 sec. selectable)

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 12:34 PM   #4

I just saw someone else over at DPReview asking the same thing about the E30, which it turns out, also uses the RM-UC1.

The E1 and E3 require a different wired release.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 10:51 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I find it strange that in the manual the IR is mentioned but not the wired remote. A peculiarity of Olympus and their technical authors possibly.

Chris
fotobozo is offline   Reply With Quote