Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 13, 2009, 1:18 PM   #1

Default Sensor improvement - G1H's new sensor

Riley posted this wee comparison of the new 4/3 sensor used in the Pana G1H m43 at high ISO over at the Leica forum. The results are quiet suprising...esp when compared to the Canon 40D/50D...

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...r-than-g1.html

Looks as if Pana has made a nice improvement in high ISO with the new sensor and also retain detail nearly as good as the APS sized sensors. A nice improvement over the G1's sensor but what do you guys and gals think ? Will we see this sensor in the next gen or E cams, esp the E3's replacement ?

Cheers

HarjTT

Last edited by HarjTT; May 13, 2009 at 1:20 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2009, 3:52 PM   #2
Administrator

It's tough to say from those samples.

At first glance (assuming lighting was the same), it appears that the image processing may be using some selective desaturation and tone curve tricks to try and hide the shadow area noise by making those areas darker (for example, the darker olive oil bottle and vinegar bottle next to it in the Panasonic image, as compared to the Canon images where those sections are brighter). It's hard to say what caused that behavior (but, I suspect it was deliberate in the image processing pipeline versus the camera not being as sensitive as set if exposure was supposed to be the same).

I'd have to look at more samples to try and form any kind of opinion (although it does seem to be a big improvement).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009, 3:57 PM   #3

I just went on the Image Resource website to take a look at what they had to say about the new Pany GH-1 m43 camera. There is a Notification posted by IR yesterday, that announces that the test camera has been determined to have been shipped with a bad lens. They are making the necessary swap of lenses and will reshoot the test samples.

The results might be even more interesting once the new lens arrives.
We'll have to wait and see.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009, 10:24 PM   #4

The darker colors of the squares on the G1H image, at least on my screen at home, looks to have the slightest hint of the start of color smearing on the edges...not like the ugly smearing you'd see with an FZ50 file but smearing nonetheless, where the 40D image is clean as a whistle.

I know which of those three cameras I'd take, and the G1H isn't it!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009, 7:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The darker colors of the squares on the G1H image, at least on my screen at home, looks to have the slightest hint of the start of color smearing on the edges...not like the ugly smearing you'd see with an FZ50 file but smearing nonetheless, where the 40D image is clean as a whistle.

I know which of those three cameras I'd take, and the G1H isn't it!
I don't know Greg. Look at the face of the fiddler, the word "condiment" on the olive oil, and the words "A product of Greece" on the vinegar when comparing the 40D to the GH1 image. It seems to me the GH1 is better.

Steven
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote