Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 16, 2009, 11:07 AM   #1

Default da boyd

what a pain in the (!)
3 hrs this morning to get this? i gotta practice more. everything moving - rickety old porch, the feeder, the sun, the clouds, the boyd, me.

e1/leica 180 2.8 cropped

Last edited by gwillys; May 16, 2009 at 11:46 AM.
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2009, 12:26 PM   #2

Default ....well, it is a boyd for sure

........kinda like fishing from a rain soaked bank of a pond suspect of a fish population huh, maybe something will show up if I can just stay real still...oops, slipped again.

BUTTTTTTTTT, yours are pictures of a boyd and pretty good ones at that IMO. I have never made a bird picture as good as these.

In the second one she seems to have an attitude about it, good for her and you too.

I like these pictures, raining back here today so no birds to be seen.
____
boBB

Last edited by boBBrennan; May 16, 2009 at 3:12 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 12:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmCoder View Post

BUTTTTTTTTT, yours are pictures of a boyd and pretty good ones at that IMO. I have never made a bird picture as good as these.
Hi G!

Ditto... I just don;t have the patience to wait for the wee lil critters and I think the bokeh from the Leica R looks just fab! Nice, sharp and infocus too ... now thats gonna be hard when manually focusing.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 2:38 PM   #4

thanks guys. hi harj. prefocus, tripod & remote. still a major pain. takes a lot more patience than i have. gonna sort out a couple issues & give it another go soon.

Last edited by gwillys; May 17, 2009 at 6:17 AM.
Old May 17, 2009, 9:17 AM   #5

day two...i have to say, these little pecker heads are not very cooperative.

e1/rokkor 300 5.6

this is more what im looking for. getting there, slow but sure the old rokkor holds up pretty well

Last edited by gwillys; May 17, 2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old May 18, 2009, 6:53 AM   #6

Hi Gw,

Your first efforts far exceed anything I got. I like both series but I'm more impressed with the results using the 180mm Leica. Great shadow detail.

Both the 180mm and the 300mm Rokkor shots are, IMO, fine examples of what to expect when using older 'legacy' lenses.

Thanks for sharing.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 7:59 AM   #7

thanks zig. the shadow detail is mostly due to pp. for the second go round, i took the top off the feeder to eliminate the shadow, & hooked up a fl50. big improvement in the out of camera files.

the first lens i tried was a leica 350 4.8 with poor results from movement. now that i'm getting a handle on it, i'll try it again, maybe with a couple remote flash. i've got some wireless flash triggers around here and a couple promaster ftd5700's and others. also a wireless shutter release, so the whole deal can be remote. that setup will require consistant sunlight for good exposure.

prefocusing on a target is easy, so now its about light & shutter speed. framing and timing are hit or miss. have to figure a way to keep the birds in the same location. this really takes some patience, not exactly my forte.

its kind of like fishing, only different

Last edited by gwillys; May 18, 2009 at 8:40 AM.