Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 16, 2009, 8:01 PM   #1

Default Mud, Mud, and then...more mud..

It rained today, so I went to the track, E1 and 50-200 f2.8-3.5 SWD in hand.

The seals still work..

The lead horse below seems to think he's Mr. Ed. I can see "Hello Wilbur" coming out right now! Either that, or he's taking the nudging he's getting from the other horse the wrong way..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; May 16, 2009 at 9:34 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2009, 9:44 PM   #2

Good job, Did you have any problems with raindrops on the fron lens element? Your lens looks like it was perfectly dry.

(Have you made enough money at the track to buy some more equipment yet?)

Steven R
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 10:06 PM   #3

[QUOTE=Steven R;969362]Good job, Did you have any problems with raindrops on the fron lens element? Your lens looks like it was perfectly dry.

Thanks for the comments. I kept the monster-sized hood mounted and that pretty much took care of the front element! The first 5-6 races it rained pretty steadily. Enough that The camera/lens combination was pretty wet by the time the horses had passed me by. The last couple of races while I was there it stopped, but the damage had been done to the track.

(Have you made enough money at the track to buy some more equipment yet?)

That's good for a laugh. I didn't even make a bet today! Just took pictures.
Old May 17, 2009, 6:02 AM   #4

wow. i'd say you have that combo down pat.
http://new.wavlist.com/tv/032/mred-hello.wav

Last edited by gwillys; May 17, 2009 at 6:07 AM.
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 9:39 AM   #5
conor

Great series, I love the sharpness and how you've managed to get the colors to pop!
Old May 17, 2009, 6:23 PM   #6

Hi Greg

Now those are awesome... the colour is just right, details look great and sharp as a tack with lots of mud!

I'd lend you my E3 if I was in the states to see if it could produce the same as the E1 - very impressed with those shots.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 9:26 PM   #7

WOW! ..........these are so good! I've visited and re-visited the gallery to see them all again for the first time, each time the wow factor is the same, 'extraordinary enjoyment'
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 10:04 PM   #8

Thanks guys for all the great comments!

It was very satisfying being able to shoot in those conditions and wind up with as many good images as I did. I turned continuous AF on, activated all three AF points and just concentrated on the framing, letting the camera worry about where it was focusing.

I didn't wander around the grounds like I usually do with all the weather. Just stayed glued to the chair I brought and under the umbrella to stay as dry as possible during the time between races. As a result I was there just about 3 1/2 hours over the 8 races I stayed for and came home with only around 60 images to choose from. A few I just barely missed, cutting parts of heads off horses because I tried framing too closely and some images were just a enough out of focus they weren't worth posting, but overall it was a very satisfying event to record.

I'm driving to Amarillo on Tuesday, May 26 to spend a couple of days walking around Palo Duro Canyon. Initially I was going to take just my E520, but it may now be the backup body.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; May 17, 2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old May 18, 2009, 5:28 AM   #9

Hi Greg,

I don't think I've seen a better series of images that represent what the E-1/50-200mm can capture and resolve. You've done a great job of getting the most out of that combo.

Additionally, you're framing and composititon is perfect. When I look at the images, I'm immediately drawn in and get the sense that I'm there.

Looking forward to what you post from your trip to the canyon.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote