Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 19, 2009, 11:34 AM   #11

Default I'd be happy to participate

Count me in!

I'm not trying to steal your idea as I think it's a great one. A few suggestions though:

1, I know that there are a lot of forum viewers who don't necessarily participate much, if at all. It would be good for this forum to get more active participation. For that reason, I'd like us not to put a limit on the # of competitors- if that's okay with you.

2, Maybe a week would be good as 14 days is a long time. Not sure how your attention span is, mine's not so good .

3, Each entry must have been taken the date of the start of the contest or later. In other words, don't pull out something you took a year ago.

4, I'm hoping that one of the moderators, Jim, John, or Mark, T-Cav, would act as a judge.

Just my .02 cents

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 1:24 PM   #12

ok, thats two so far. four openings left. wheres harj...
re:
#1 - i doubt many more than 6 would participate & i hate those long drawn out threads & im more interested with quality results & sharing of information by the reasonably competant & if this develops any interest, have a 'open' one later, & so on & so forth . maybe compromise - first 10 to enter?

#2 - we're having a week of bad weather here, a whole week. 2 weeks will give more opportunity for good conditions. trust me, i for one, will work very hard at this. sitting on my porch, smoking cigars, luring the little raptors in, remote in my hand. do birds like raisins? besides, you can still go to the bathroom or whatever.

#3 - good idea, thats what i meant by 'ringers'.

#4 - good idea, 3 moderators as judges. winner & runner up.

+ must be free wild birds. no captives or taxidermist variety.

Last edited by gwillys; May 19, 2009 at 3:49 PM.
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 1:29 PM   #13

I'm still in.

About #2 Yeah, I forgot about the weather.
Sounds like a plan.

I'm ready

Zig
Old May 19, 2009, 1:43 PM   #14

ok, great. i havent been around here for awhile, can you think of anyone to invite? do you know any mods? i think one lives up the road in savannah, jimc?

now i've got to go find a remote control worm.

Last edited by gwillys; May 19, 2009 at 1:45 PM.
Old May 19, 2009, 4:14 PM   #15

......wish I could play but with rule #3 as it is I'm likely out. Since this is the only BIRD I've done (a year ago now) and it ain't around now cuz since I cleaned up the stuff in the street he left.

There just seems not to be any birds around here; I will take Autumn out again this afternoon to scout the area.

......and if I see any possibility I might want to enter this trial.

Seems the ringer(s) here might be Zig and GW since they've been practicing.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 4:16 PM   #16

Autumn looks to be in fine form. And if anyone can find a bird for you to
take a photo of, I'm sure she will.

Zig
Old May 19, 2009, 4:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmCoder View Post
......wish I could play but with rule #3 as it is I'm likely out. Since this is the only BIRD I've done (a year ago now) and it ain't around now cuz since I cleaned up the stuff in the street he left.
uh oh, now you've given me a idea. lots of roadkill around here. vultures everywhere.

go to tractor supply & get some birdseed to throw out. or try & grow some tomato's.

uh oh again. just came across this post by zig - http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...ir-feeder.html i have plotted my own demise.

Last edited by gwillys; May 19, 2009 at 7:02 PM.
Old May 19, 2009, 8:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillys View Post
hey, maybe we could get a little friendly competition going that would be instructional as far as gear & technique. maybe get harj out of the studio for some fresh air
I'm thinking Harj doesn't need as much fresh air as we think he does, considering those models he images...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 9:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillys View Post
re: bird photography competition
ok, first lets set the rules - there are no rules

lets limit it to 6 interested competitors using oly camera's, 1 entry each, and a 14 day period to finalize your entry. in other words, your can change your entry up till the end of contest, but only 1 entry per contestant. judging will commence after contest is closed. no ringers.

prize will be a no expenses paid vacation in Tijuana, for as long as you last.

simple enough? what do you think? open for suggestions...any moderator assistance available?
That sounds good for all you guys with the little colorful songbirds flying in your backyard. But I haven't seen a bird weighing under 10 pounds in my yard in months and months.

Last edited by Steven R; May 19, 2009 at 9:14 PM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 6:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I'm thinking Harj doesn't need as much fresh air as we think he does, considering those models he images...

Ted
Actually Ted, that's a good point as I bet Harj is thinking about shooting his usual flock of 'birds'............ the kind without wings
Zig