Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 18, 2009, 8:24 AM   #1

Default Birds of a feather flock together??

After looking at Gwillys bird photos using the Rokkor and Leica legacy lenses, I thought I'd pull out and give the ubiquitous 135mm f3.5 OM Zuiko lens a try.

I wanted to find out a couple of things actually. First being, is the viewfinder on the E30 sufficiently large enough for my 'tired eyes' to actually manually focus an OM lens. I also was curious to see what I could get out of the E30 using an older 'legacy lens'

Here are a couple of shots taken this morning. Manual mode, ISO 640, shutter at 1/250, and arpeture at 5.6

Bear in mind, these are Jpegs straight out of the camera. No PP, cropping, noise reduction done. Nada, nothing- as is.
In camera sharpness and contrast set to -1 with noise reduction off.
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2009, 8:51 AM   #2

These look like they would respond well to sharpening if you wanted to sharpen them up. The old lenses do quite well. Your eyes are still obviously up to the challenge of manual focus...at least, using the E30 screen! I'm sure I could get it in the ballpark using my E1, but the E520 would probably be a lost cause.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 11:13 AM   #3

looking good there zig.
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 11:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
These look like they would respond well to sharpening if you wanted to sharpen them up. The old lenses do quite well. Your eyes are still obviously up to the challenge of manual focus...at least, using the E30 screen! I'm sure I could get it in the ballpark using my E1, but the E520 would probably be a lost cause.

Thanks guys.

And yes Greg, the images might respond to a bit of sharpening. I've got to give it a try tonight just to see what the results would be.

As for the E30's viewfinder, while it's nowhere near as nice as the E-1 must be, in comparison to the E-510, it's a vast improvement. I frankly gave up using any of the Konica and OM lenses that I've had because focusing was such a chore. I'm going to have to revisit some of these lenses, now that I've got the E30.

While the 135mm OM will, in no way, replace the 50-200mm ED ZD lens It's fun to see what results I can get using some of these older lenses.

Zig
Old May 18, 2009, 12:22 PM   #5

zig, you have any longer old lenses? im curious how the 50-200 would work for this. will it focus close enough @ 200mm? hmmm, maybe i'll drag out the om 300 4.5. its a tank compared to the rokkor 300 though. i dont think many of the old 135's are very highly rated, but yours shows some possibilities. i have a om 200 f4 thats pretty good, have to give that a try to.

Last edited by gwillys; May 18, 2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old May 18, 2009, 4:20 PM   #6

Default 50-200mm lens

Hi GW,

The only non - digital lenses that I have longer than the 135mm OM is a 75-150mm OM which is quite soft and just doesn't give good results as well as a Konica mount 80-200mm lens made by Kiron. The less said about the Kiron, the better.

I do have a 50-200mm ED (older version) f2.8 Zuiko digital lens that is my go to lens these days. It's the one mounted on the E30 most all of the time. I'm quite happy with the lens. But, as you know, you really need a longer focal length if you're going to get serious about this bird shooting.

I keep waffling between picking up an EC-14 Telecon. or a 400mm legacy lens. But, as yet, I haven't seen any bird images produced with a 400mm non-digital lens. I keep scouring the various sites but, as yet, haven't come acrooss any.

Here is a shot taken with the 50-200mm ED ZD lens mounted to an E-510:

Zig
Old May 18, 2009, 5:56 PM   #7

ok, thanks. that looks pretty darn good. you could sort thru here - http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&um=1&sa=1&q=400mm&btnG=Search+Images& aq=f&oq==

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...mages&aq=f&oq=

theres a famous nature photog who used a 2 or 3 cam leica 400, but i've lost track of that. i think he got sick and his site went down. some great images.

from what little i've looked, the rokker 300 has better IQ than most. maybe better than the 50-200? i passed up a rokkor 400 a couple years ago.

were going to be overcast & rainy for a few days. when im able, i'll post pics from my 350mm. being pretty familar with it, i dont really want anything longer. its mostly about technique with the long glass, and its a pita.

Last edited by gwillys; May 18, 2009 at 6:18 PM.
Old May 19, 2009, 6:02 AM   #8

hey, maybe we could get a little friendly competition going that would be instructional as far as gear & technique. maybe get harj out of the studio for some fresh air
Old May 19, 2009, 7:10 AM   #9

Default Image after sharpening

I tried taking one of the images above and sharpening it up a bit in Photoshop. ( I have Elements 6.0) Here is the result:

Not bad but it shows that while the lens is okay, it just doesn't resolve enough detail. Certainly not as much as the 50-200mm ZD ED lens.

Zig

BTW, GW count me in...........
Old May 19, 2009, 7:53 AM   #10

re: bird photography competition
ok, first lets set the rules - there are no rules

lets limit it to 6 interested competitors using oly camera's, 1 entry each, and a 14 day period to finalize your entry. in other words, your can change your entry up till the end of contest, but only 1 entry per contestant. judging will commence after contest is closed. no ringers.

prize will be a no expenses paid vacation in Tijuana, for as long as you last.

simple enough? what do you think? open for suggestions...any moderator assistance available?

Last edited by gwillys; May 19, 2009 at 9:30 AM.