Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 21, 2009, 5:13 AM   #11

Hey Ted,
Congrats on getting your new lens!! I hope it gives you as much pleasure as the E30 gives me.........It's fun getting a new toy

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 4:30 PM   #12

Hi Ted,

Apparently the 14-35mm f2.0 lens can produce some pretty good results outdoors in bright sun light.

Here is a thread over at DPreview just posted this afternoon with photos from an E620/14-35mm lens combo.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=31925693

Somehow there just might be a 14-35mm lens in Greg's future..................

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 4:35 PM   #13

Thanks, Zig

I'll try to test its AF in more detail this weekend, but it will be a while before I have time to use it a lot.

Greg, I didn't mean to come across as negative about the lens in general, in my last post. The buzz on this lens so far is that it's really useful when you need a fast lens but so far it doesn't appear to be the kind of classic lens that the 35-100 f/2 has become. But that may just be that it has the reputation of having AF problems with the first production run of E3s, so I don't think many folks have purchased it. It appears to be just fine with all E30s and it may develop that great reputation - certainly the Oly SHG lenses have been exemplary.

I certainly hope it will excite me like the 35-100 f/2 - I've never used a lens that wows me like that one.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; May 21, 2009 at 4:49 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 4:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Ted,

Apparently the 14-35mm f2.0 lens can produce some pretty good results outdoors in bright sun light.

Here is a thread over at DPreview just posted this afternoon with photos from an E620/14-35mm lens combo.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=31925693

Somehow there just might be a 14-35mm lens in Greg's future..................

Zig
Thanks for that link. I think it means that the lens is overcoming its bad AF reputation with the early E3s and will get more sales and use so we'll see what it can do.

As an engineer I can't help but be suspicious about the long-term reliability and waterproofing of a lens that moves its front element in and out, especially at that price.

But I'm looking forward to using it - it certainly has a very high quality feel to it, mechanically and optically.

Ted
Old May 21, 2009, 5:45 PM   #15

I'm a senior manager - my job is to mentor the managers that work for me. (The best boss I ever had, 3 decades ago, told me: "If you make yourself irreplaceable you will get your wish - you will never be promoted.")

If I translate that to my post on the Zuiko ED 14-35mm f/2.0 in this forum, it is as follows:

Q: Yo Ted, is this lens worth my consideration, considering that it has a very limited zoom range and unless I need the f/2 speed there are a lot of less expensive good lenses available.

A: It's hard for me to tell so far. I'll let you know if that expensive SHG lens has a big jump in IQ like the 35-100 f/2 does. So far I've just been testing to assure that it doesn't have the AF problems that it has the reputation to have.

Ted
Old May 22, 2009, 3:42 PM   #16

Here's a focus test of the Zuiko ED 14-35mm f/2.0. It looks to be just fine, despite some of the DPReview threads:

Ted
Attached Images

Old May 22, 2009, 3:56 PM   #17

Default Leica 25mm f1.4 Front Focus

Some folks feel that the Leica 25mm f1.4 tends towards front focus and my test today does confirm that. I've used this lens a lot and haven't seen this as a problem but I don't use it for close-ups. If you did that this could be an issue for you.

Ted
Attached Images

Old Jun 15, 2009, 3:01 PM   #18

Here is one of my first photos with the 14-35mm f/2. This was shot in available light at EV5 (which is where a lot of my photography is, hence my needing this lens). Not much DOF at f/2 but I like the IQ.

Ted

PS: The lens doesn't have much AF trouble at EV5 as long as I focus on something with a little bit of contrast.
Attached Images

Old Jun 16, 2009, 1:15 PM   #19

Hi Ted

Now I've been itching to ask you how the lens and you have been working out .. from the looks of things pretty good.

How does the 14-35F2 compare to the 35-100, the Leica D 14-50F2.-3.5 and the 25mm F1.4 in terms of IQ, detail, sharpness and bokeh etc ? Whats your feeling on the lens extending which is unlike the 35-100.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 5:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Ted

Now I've been itching to ask you how the lens and you have been working out .. from the looks of things pretty good.

How does the 14-35F2 compare to the 35-100, the Leica D 14-50F2.-3.5 and the 25mm F1.4 in terms of IQ, detail, sharpness and bokeh etc ? Whats your feeling on the lens extending which is unlike the 35-100.

Hi, Harj

Good questions. To me, IQ is subjective (unless I'm missing something here). My initial feeling is that the 14-35 f/2 is in the same league as the 35-100 f/2 but the only way for me to "test" that is to shoot both lenses with the same subject at 35mm, and compare the images. That's my plan and I haven't had the occasion to do that yet, but I need to know if I just like the 14-35 f/2 because I spent so much money on it (grin).

Regarding the the Leica 25mm F1.4, I love the IQ but it's definitely true that it does front-focus (as you can see from the LensAlign image I posted above). Now that I know that I can choose a rear focus point to overcome it, but it does mean that that lens isn't a good portrait lens. Fortunately for me, that's not what I use that lens for. (I am surprised that that issue isn't more common on forums - I only found it by accident.)

I bought the two f/2 Oly SHQ lenses for shooting at EV5, and became amazed at the IQ of the 35-100 f/2. But the Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 is still my favorite for shooting in daylight - it's so much lighter than the Oly SHQ lenses. So so far, I'm happy with the array of lenses I have (including the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 and the 11-22mm f/2.8-3.5 for daylight shots). After so many years of shooting film with much lower quality lenses I am overjoyed with the glass I have now - I can do things I tried to do unsucsessfully for years with film and I can do them now.

> Whats your feeling on the lens extending

That bothered me but if Oly says it's waterproof I'm inclined to accept that it will be reliable. But then again, I'm not sure that's just a reaction about how much I spent for that lens.

Ted