Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 21, 2009, 6:33 PM   #1

Default C & C required - 3 large images!

Went to look for a few birds near my sisters in Chigwell - theres a wee pond and that attracts some ducks and a nice view of the local church. E3 + 35-100F2.

1. E3 - out of cam jpeg.

2. RAW to Jpeg using LR2.3 - my default pp in LR and 50% USM in PSHop

3. RAW to Jpeg using LR2.3 - my default pp in LR but with LR's gradient tool being applied + 50% USM in PSHop

What do you guys and gals think about the LR conversions, esp the last one with the gradient tool being used ? All CC is going to be really appreciated.

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; May 21, 2009 at 6:39 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2009, 9:42 PM   #2

Hi Harj,

I'm by no means an expert as anyone looking at my images knows but I'll give it a go and tell you what I 'see'.

Of the three, I like the last image pp'd without the unsharp mask @50%.
I'm looking at the evergreens in front of the steeple and the surrounding trees and I see an improvement in this area in 3 as opposed to image 2 which, to my eyes looks, a bit over processed.

Also, while you were specific about what you wanted forum members to comment on, I can't help but say that I think I would crop this shot a bit differently.

I don't know if this was what you were looking for, but I hope it helps.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 7:45 PM   #3

I think the real story is how well the in cam jpeg looks straight out of the camera.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 2:31 PM   #4

Hi Guys

Thanks for the comments - I'm not 100% sure on which I really prefer - I'm kind of going with zig on No3 and No. 3 was a first attempt at using LR's grad tool:

http://lightroom-news.com/wp-content.../gradsmall.mov

Not sure if I did a good job or not but hopefully when the new display arrives I'll be able to make a better judgement on what looks more like the real scene when it was shot.

Zig - the crop is just fine... I was either going to crop or clone the branch out of the shot. The jpeg oof cam is really still really good and my only wish would have been for a wee bit more DR esp in the highlights (the sky is basically white) but LR is easily showing that there is more there.

I've got some LR training that I'm going to do when I get time and see if I can learn anything from those.. I'm hoping that theyre good enough to provide a good grounding for any RAW app.
Old May 23, 2009, 5:07 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
...when the new display arrives...
What did you end up ordering (or have you yet)? I remember the recent thread you started discussing PCs and displays.

The Dell 2209WA seems to be popular lately in a 22" model from what I can see from browsing forums elsewhere (as it's relatively inexpensive now for a display with an IPS type panel).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 6:10 PM   #6

Hi Jim

I was thinking of the 2409SW Dell and also the Samsung SM2494HS 24" TFT Monitor 1920x1080 and I'm leaning towards the Samsung :

* slightly cheaper than the Dell - well quite a bit cheaper compared to Dell's online price.

* Colour - One user review:

Great monitor with; good colour reproduction, deep blacks, decent spec (can set mine to 120hz at 1080p) and almost non-existant backlight bleed at the top, which is unnoticable unless you look for it.

I think it might have been replaced by :

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/d...LS24KIQRFV/EDC

What do you think ? I have the Dell at work and I think it is a fine display considering how little Dell are charging for it but I'm leaning towards the Samsung.

PC wise.. I'm going to bit ethe bullet and get the Studio XPS....for 679.00 its a hell of a lot of bang for buck.

Cheers

HArj
Old May 23, 2009, 7:31 PM   #7
Administrator

The Dell 2409SW and Samsung SM2494HS are both using TN panels.

The 22" Dell 2209WA uses a much better IPS panel (wider color gamut, less difference in color accuracy when varying viewing angle). Don't confuse it with the other 2209 variants with a different suffix. For example, the 2209W is not IPS and the 2209WA is IPS.

In a new 24" Dell, I'd probably look at their 2408WFP (which uses a Samsung S-PVA panel from what I can tell from a quick search about it).

Of course, there are pros and cons to any of them (including price). lol
Old May 23, 2009, 7:38 PM   #8
Administrator

P.S.

Here's a panel type search page (and you'll also see a reviews menu choice on the left side of the page):

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm

Here's another site with reviews:

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/reviews.html
Old May 24, 2009, 8:00 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
PC wise.. I'm going to bit ethe bullet and get the Studio XPS....for 679.00 its a hell of a lot of bang for buck.
That's what I'd do if buying a new box. The Core i7 should be pretty nice for image processing work. For example, see this CS4 benchmark page where the Core i7 CPUs outperform all other CPUs tested by AnandTech so far.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?b=25