Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 25, 2009, 9:00 PM   #1

Default Any E-620 Users Out there?

I am seriously considering a move to the new Olympus E-620 camera body. I am hoping that it will over come the problems of the E-300, the E-500, and the E-510 cameras. I am also afraid that I might be once again hoping for the impossible, or the nearly impossible.

As a dedicated Olympus user, dare I move forward to the E-620 camera body? Your opinion will help me a great deal, as this will be be my very last attempt to find a very workable Olympus solution. Otherwise I am headed toward the Nikon name badge. That is how critical this decision really is for me.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 25, 2009 at 9:03 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2009, 9:34 PM   #2

Hi Sarah,

I too would like to hear from an E-620 user and get their take on the camera. Especially if they upgraded from an earlier model.

I just upgraded from an E-510 to the E-30 and I have to say that while I like many of the features that have been incorporated into this new body, I frankly, don't see much of an improvement as far as image quality goes.

I was quite satisfied with the IQ of the E-510, after making some adjustment to the settings in constrast, sharpness, and noise reduction.

After reading many of the reviews, I decided to go ahead and get the E-30 and quite honestly don't miss the E-510. The larger OPV is really an improvement over the older e-xxx series bodies. having the information displayed across the bottom of the OPV is also a great improvement and one which I use everytime I take a shot. The articuating LCD screen is something that I used when I had the C-5060 and had missed ever since.
It's great to have a camera that has that feature again. The continuous burst speed is a major improvement over the E-510. My 50-200mm ED lens focuses significantly faster on the E-30 vs the E-510 and the 11 point AF system on the E-30 is a big time improvement. I still set the camera for single spot AF but now have many more options as to where I want the camera to focus. The adjustment dials on the front and back of the body allow me to quickly change both the arpeture and shutter speed while looking thru the viewfinder ( in manual mode). I can see the changes i'm making to these settings while composing the shot because the information is clearly displayed across the bottom of the screen. It's something that i've never been able to do with the older E-xxx series cameras.

The controls and buttons on the back of the body are easy to use and if you're used to an Olympus camera, it's a rather simple process to getting accustomed to the new layout.

All in all, I love the controls and the feature set of this new camera. But I have to say that, if you're expecting a huge improvement, in terms of image quality, from either the E-620 or the E30 you might be a bit disappointed. Since both new cameras use the same sensor, I don't think the IQ will be any different between the two.

Those are my thoughts. But, as I said before, I'd love to hear from an E620 user to get their insight.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 10:27 PM   #3

Thanks a lot zig, that is excellent input-

Quite honestly, I am afraid that going to the E-620 will only create a small or somewhat marginal improvement, rather than a large increase in IQ. Perhaps this is the ideal time to opt for a new camera system.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 25, 2009, 10:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I am seriously considering a move to the new Olympus E-620 camera body. I am hoping that it will over come the problems of the E-300, the E-500, and the E-510 cameras. I am also afraid that I might be once again hoping for the impossible, or the nearly impossible.

As a dedicated Olympus user, dare I move forward to the E-620 camera body? Your opinion will help me a great deal, as this will be be my very last attempt to find a very workable Olympus solution. Otherwise I am headed toward the Nikon name badge. That is how critical this decision really is for me.

Sarah Joyce
The thing about those older cameras you are likely to find the same is the viewfinder, which will be small. I don't find this to be much of an issue because I don't manually focus...ever. I don't own any old manual focus lenses where I might want to buy an adaptor and give it a spin. I use Digital Zuikos, all of which autofocus better than I ever could manually focus using good finders with better screens.

You obviously don't get a 100% what-you-see-is-what-you-get view of the subject, but neither did I ever get that when I was using consumer film SLR's like the Nikon FM2n, and today, in terms of percentage of the image shown in the finder, the E620's finder, even though it is small, is actually more accurate since it shows you 95% of the image to be captured vs. 93% in that older FM2n. The Nikon screen obviously was easier to focus with, but as I said, this is a non-issue for me anymore.

The newer E520 I use is a much improved camera compared to those older models. I have previously used the E300 and E510 of the cameras you listed and the E520 is a step above those and the E620 should be even better. Olympus sorted out the sharpening and noise reduction filters in the E520 and they work as they should have worked in the E510. Multi-segment metering is reliable in the E520, the auto gradation tool makes getting good JPEG's pretty darn easy and the camera doesn't blow highlights nearly as easily as the previous models did. I would expect the E620 to be just as accurate, and images I've seen from the E620 posted to the Olympus DSLR forum at DPReview seem to be showing that.

Compared to other brands, I do think you need access to a good noise reduction filter to clean up higher ISO images or ones where the use of auto gradation can introduce small amounts of noise in shadow detail. I use Noiseware Professional in the Photoshop plugin version and it works wonders with E520 files and even higher ISO (ISO 400 and above) E1 images look better than ever when run through the Noiseware filter.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 12:54 AM   #5

Thanks a lot, Greg-

That is the kind of information that I really need. I want to believe that Olympus is over the "hump" but each new camera has been a very small incremental improvement, that hardly meets the definition of what "new" really should mean.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 26, 2009, 6:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Thanks a lot zig, that is excellent input-

Quite honestly, I am afraid that going to the E-620 will only create a small or somewhat marginal improvement, rather than a large increase in IQ. Perhaps this is the ideal time to opt for a new camera system.

Sarah Joyce

Hi Sarah,

I think I may have not explained myself properly. You see, I was never really unhappy with the ouput of the E-510. I was essentially satisfied with the IQ I was getting. Sure, like everyone else with an E-510, I had to fiddle with the settings in high contrast situations but that could be overcome fairly readily. With the E-30, I was hoping those issues would have been resolved and they have.

Strictly speaking about the quality of the images produced between the E-510 and the E-30 is it worth the price difference? I don't think so IMHO. Because, frankly I think money wise, the E-510 is a good value. And now, you can buy an E-520 on Amazon for around 360.00 vs paying 970.00 for the E-30

What I got with the E-30 are the controls missing from the E-510. The controls and the ability to shoot at a faster rate, 5fps. I enjoy taking photos of my grandkids and they never sit still. They're also into a lot of sports, these days. Action photos of them are a lot easier to capture with the fast frame rate and the ability of the camera to AF faster than the E-510. The larger OPV and easily readible information display on the bottom of the screen are a major improvement and this is important to me and my 'tired eyes'.

To me, the features, ergonomics and controls easily justified the cost of the E-30.

As for the E-620, while not having as robust a feature set as the E-30, it still employs the same sensor as the E-30 so I would expect it to have the same output, has a new 7point AF system, 4fps (same as the D-90), articulating screen, larger OPV with the information display across the bottom of the OPV. The E-620 is available right now at $599.00

I purchased the E-30 over the E-620 because of body size, the larger OPV of the E-30 and the faster frame rate. Also, it employs many of the features found in the E3.

Now if that's what's important to you than the E-30 is a logical choice. If not, the E-620 with the smaller body is a great deal.

As for changing systems, only you can make that decision.. For me, it really never entered my mind as I have the 14-54mm lens as well as the 50-200mm lens ED both of which I bought used. I paid 300 bucks for the 14-54 and 600bucks for the 50-200mm. I don't think I could replace those in another system at anywhere near the price. Also, the lenses available from Olympus are easily as good , if not better than the competition.

I'm not changing systems anytime soon.

One last point I would like to make and that is for some of us who get caught up in the minutae of the digital world, small, incremental changes to cameras are important-sometimes too important. Luckily, there are many other users of cameras that simply want to preserve a priceless (to them) moment in time so that they can look at a photograph and relive the happiness and good times. A classic example of what I'm trying to express is the Photo of the day choice this morning. It shows 3 lovely little girls. One look at the photo tells you everything you want to know. By the way, it was taken with an Olympus E-500.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/daily_dpotd.html

Zig

Last edited by zig-123; May 26, 2009 at 6:34 AM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 10:20 AM   #7

Hi Zig-

I would prefer to stay with Olympus. I am hoping that the E-620 will be the answer. It falls into a price range that feels comfortable. I was surprised that there were not that many posts on the E-620.

Many thanks for you insights.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 26, 2009, 12:46 PM   #8

Hi Sarah

Regards IQ from what I've seen from the E30/620 and whats been pointed out by quite a few ppl over at DPR is that there has been an improvement in terms of noise/banding at higher ISO (1600+) over the previous E series cams - the E3/E520 etc. At ISO1600 there is no banding on the E30/620s. Whether that improvement is enough to help you I'm not sure but what I do know is that the 4/3 sensor in Pana's G1H is an improvement over all of the Pana 4/3 sensors designed to todate. When we see this sensor or further versions of it in an Oly E, I'm not sure but I wouldn;t be suprised if the E4/5 and the new Oly M43 cam (due next month) have them. If thats the case .. high ISO quality 1600+ is going to be very nice improvement as good as canonikon asp-c/h sensors or vey close to them.

Here's a high iSO comparison of the G1 (its assumed the E30/620 has the same sensor), G1H, 40D and 50Ds.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...ew-sensor.html

Hope that helps

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 6:16 PM   #9

Harj-

That looks very positive. However, it appears that the improvement will come in models after the E-30/E-620 generation. It will be very interesting to see what Olympus has to present in their new Micro4/3 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 27, 2009, 4:02 PM   #10

Sarah... as you know, there are precious few full reviews of the E-620 available yet. Previews, or "hands on" impressions don't count. But here's what I've been able to find so far... but I'm almost certain you've seen these already:

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...view-20552.htm

http://www.photoreview.com.au/review...mpus-e620.aspx

http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews...620/10287.html

And while this isn't a full review, it is a collection of images from the E-620 for you to examine:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2009/03/e...ge_samples.php

Hope this helps. If you've seen these already, perhaps others in the market for the E-620 might be interested.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote