Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 26, 2009, 12:58 PM   #1

Default A Bird a Day

The Sun is out, the sky is clear, I woke up on the right side of the grass again today(the last one is very important-). What else is there? I'm a happy camper!

Even the birds were happy today. Here is one who kept going over my head (not hard to do):

Life is good!!!

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2009, 7:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
The Sun is out, the sky is clear............................"

Zig
Easy for you to say. I get home from work and it's raining so hard the lizards are clinging to the screen to keep from getting blown away. So, no bird shots, (and no BBQ tonight.)

Steve R.
Attached Images

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 8:22 PM   #3

Yikes Steven, you're not kidding......I can see a couple of the little critters clinging to the screen!!!

I guess your weather is coming our way as the forcast calls for heavy rain tomorrow. Although, I'm pretty sure I wont see any lizards hanging onto our screens

Zig
Old May 27, 2009, 7:37 AM   #4

hey Steve, do you ever see the little green tree frogs there? they had pretty much
disappeared from central florida before i left.

thats a nice pic zig, i've never gotten a decent shot on the wing. so many trees here theres not much space to allow time. you pretty much have to look straight up to see the sky. owls, red tail hawks & swallow tail kites are around, but i just catch a glimpse now & then.
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 8:55 AM   #5

Default Thanks

Hi Gw,

Thanks. My goal is to get better at capturing images of birds in flight-something that I've never really been able to do well. The E-30 seems to be able to C-AF a whole lot faster than the E-510. Still working on it. I happened to use manual focus on the image above panning the camera and just adjusting the focus ring as the bird got closer. The 50-200mm snaps into focus pretty quickly. The shot is okay but I'm hoping to get more resolution with C-AF. We'll see.

Of course, it's quite a bit easier when I go down to the beach and try to follow a gull in flight since I can pan the camera and follow the bird from a longer distance.

We have a Red Tailed Hawk that is a frequent vistor to my backyard, now that I've set up the feeder. He picks off the smaller birds from time to time.
I've tried to catch him flying through the woods but it's pretty near impossible as he's too fast, I'm too slow and there are too many trees that confuse the AF of the camera.

One thing is certain: I need a 400mm lens if I'm going to continue with this- or at least get a EC-14 TCON. But, I'll keep trying with what I've got for the time being.

Zig

BTW, raining today-as expected. Not going to get much of a chance at getting anything worthwhile in the way of a bird shot.
Old May 27, 2009, 11:24 AM   #6

no birds in site this morning either. havent even tried a shot since the contest started.

hey zig, you just have to be a little inventive. i may have longer lenses, but only half the resolution. i'm using a tripod/flash/remote shutter. between that and a feeding station, every once in a while, i get a decent shot.

lock down your setup, manual focus - prefocus on a target, i use a small bottle of elmers glue.

Last edited by gwillys; May 27, 2009 at 2:48 PM.
Old May 27, 2009, 12:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillys View Post
no birds in site this morning either. havent even tried a shot since the contest started.
Hi Gw,
Ever since this 'friendly competition' started, I've seen little to no bird posts from anyone. Looks like you guys are just plotting and scheming.

I'm sure there will be a number of surprises before all is said and done.
Old May 27, 2009, 2:50 PM   #8

ok, i get it. your setting us up. and then there are the quiet ones...
Old May 27, 2009, 8:02 PM   #9

[QUOTE=gwillys;972174]hey Steve, do you ever see the little green tree frogs there? they had pretty much
disappeared from central florida before i left.

Hi gw: yes, I've got a couple of them that hang around outside the house. Here is a photo of one:

Old May 27, 2009, 8:05 PM   #10

[QUOTE=zig-123;972248]Hi Gw,
Ever since this 'friendly competition' started, I've seen little to no bird posts from anyone. Looks like you guys are just plotting and scheming.

I think nature is conspiring against us. This is the first evening without rain, and there is not a bird in sight. LOL!!!