Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 7, 2009, 6:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuc View Post
comparing E-P1 and GH1/G1

E-P1

no viewer
no moveable display
no flash
no grip
no fullhd

body ~ same size, same price ? ? ?

hmmmm ... the winner is ...
Not the same size. From the top, the E-P1 WITH the lens is about the same size as a G1/GH1.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 7:37 PM   #22

hehe

120 mm : 124 mm ~ same size

Last edited by DonalDuc; Jun 7, 2009 at 7:50 PM.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 7:09 AM   #23

Quote:
comparing E-P1 and GH1/G1

E-P1

no viewer
no moveable display
no flash
no grip
no fullhd

body ~ same size, same price ? ? ?

hmmmm ... the winner is ...
Or to put it into some context, when you remove the lens from the E-P1, the G1/GH1 is about TWICE as deep as the E-P1, Clearly NOT a similar size:

Old Jun 8, 2009, 1:36 PM   #24

without lens

E-P1 = $ 990 - $ 390 = $ 600
GH1 = $ 1500 - $ 900 = $ 600

E-P1 no flash, no moveable display, no grip, no fullhd, no viewer

... and the winner is: GH1 !!!
Old Jun 8, 2009, 6:19 PM   #25

Quote:
without lens

E-P1 = $ 990 - $ 390 = $ 600
GH1 = $ 1500 - $ 900 = $ 600

E-P1 no flash, no moveable display, no grip, no fullhd, no viewer

... and the winner is: GH1 !!!
Ok, so you're declaring a winner even before it released AND before we know what the REAL specs of the camera actually are??

Personally, I don't see why it's a competition....

There no doubt that the E-P1 body and kit lens (17mm) is smaller than the G1/GH1 with kit lens. What about the "pocketable" test?
Old Jun 12, 2009, 5:58 AM   #26

Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:00 AM   #27

http://www.yourdigi.com/web/products/dc/olympus/20090611/24,6038,0.htm
"Chinese friends, we need an english translation from you!
If that picture is true there will be two different colored kit and prime lenses!
Here is the google translation.
Product Description:
Olympus E-P1 is a compatible at the micro 4 / 3 System standard for digital camera lens. “Olympus Pen” name comes from the legendary Olympus Semilattice film cameras, in the October 1959 release quickly swept the world, the global total of 1,700 million units sold, and continued around the world people brought the joy of photography. New products we have decided to give the same product name, because it will be a new camera to reduce the size of the original Pen and convenient in terms of the same ground-breaking achievements to digital SLR photography, and fashion design at the same time a classic display of their charm. This name expresses our commitment to make as many people as possible can experience the real fun photographic pursuit.
As a result of the micro 4 / 3 System standard, this camera the abolition of the traditional SLR mirror box design, which greatly reduces the camera size, and high-performance and high image quality, such as the advantages of traditional single-lens reflex camera is in no way lower. Olympus E-P1 has a beautiful body and the metal texture to express the originality of the “OLYMPUS PEN” by emitting a series of cameras, high-quality design features and superb technology.
More user-friendly easy to shoot, Olympus E-P1 is also a very special additional features and utility of the i-Auto Intelligent Auto-priority mode, it can automatically assess the scene and set up the best scene mode accordingly.
E-P1 is equipped with a 1,230-megapixel Live MOS sensor and high-speed research and development of new image processing engine TruePic V to provide the previous single-lens reflex cameras only to achieve the high-definition images. In addition, the HD can record 720p high-definition video. The camera also offers stereo linear PCM format audio recording capability, the real effect of the realization of high-definition audio and video synchronization, so that more professional high-definition filming. In addition, the art filter function - used to add exciting image filter effects. At the same time, the dynamic can be applied to video and still images, which greatly enrich and expand the creative expression of the user space.
Olympus E-P1 will attract the birth of a wide range of user groups, not only for beginners can be used as the entry-level digital SLR cameras, and can be used as a high-level enthusiasts and professional photographers the backup camera."

The above copied from another website. I'm glad to see the removable window style viewfinder, a simple way to turn the camera into the famliar concept of the old rangefinder style cameras. The lens size looks to be much smaller. I'm interested in this as a carry in your pocket everyday camera. And here is a photo of the back controls.

Last edited by Steven R; Jun 12, 2009 at 11:06 AM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 8:20 PM   #28

If the E-P1 includes that hotshoe viewfinder as standard, then they will have a winner with even more people!!!!
Old Jun 13, 2009, 5:43 AM   #29

... or you get it as extra for an horrible price (like others ..)

But small size is gone ... then I can take a GH1 ... geting much more for my money

$ 990 like on picture is okay (camera + pancake + viewer + zoom lens, hehe ... dreaming,
Oly doesn't play Santa Claus), but less for this price is sea robbery.

15th June ... we will know!

Last edited by DonalDuc; Jun 13, 2009 at 5:50 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 1:10 AM   #30

Default Wow...

Have to say, I'm thinking this camera is going to be a beauty!
And what about the in-body IS?... this combined with all the adapters promised means this camera can handle quite a library of legacy lenses! Granted, many will make the camera huge in combination, but some should (i hope) make it perform quite well in low light! The GH1 has the IS in the lens, so any other lens added either has to have IS included, or go without. Yes, the GH1 does have MANY other things, but to me it's about the lenses (I hope all the rumors give way to great execution here) and the ability to take it more places easier (so much smaller from what I can tell with its kit-lens). Can't wait, can't wait. The wraps are almost off!
Gruu is offline   Reply With Quote