Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:17 AM   #41

The (apparent) lack of an EVF cancels my interest in the camera. Adding an external viewfinder isn't the same and also defeats the small size of the camera. The point of this camera baffles me - basically a P&S with interchangeable lenses???
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:58 AM   #42

So far I've seen nothing, from Panasonic or this prospective new camera from Olympus, that would make me want to have vs. my current E520, use rather than my E1 or buy instead of a new E620 or E30.

The banter from everyone on this post is certainly entertaining reading though.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 1:07 PM   #43

Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
So far I've seen nothing, from Panasonic or this prospective new camera from Olympus, that would make me want to have vs. my current E520, use rather than my E1 or buy instead of a new E620 or E30.

Yep,

What you and Ted just stated about says it all for me as well.
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 1:18 PM   #44

pixels: 12.300.000
max. resolution 4032x3024
display 3", 230.000 pixels
OIS
video 1280x720, 640x480
size 120.5 x 70 x 35 mm
weight 335 g (body only)

Last edited by DonalDuc; Jun 15, 2009 at 1:31 PM.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 1:34 PM   #45

Quote:

Well the lack of a mirror flop would be helpful in some of the work I do, but Panasonic is closer to a quiet 43 true DSLR than this is.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 1:44 PM   #46

Last edited by DonalDuc; Jun 15, 2009 at 1:59 PM.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 2:48 PM   #47

Quote:

I have to agree. I certainly like the look of this new camera - and I have always gotten a kick out of rangfinders in general. But when I consider this would be a second camera system for me, I have to say the E-420 with the 25mm f/2.8 pancake lens for under $500 is looking a lot better. I'll try to keep an open mind, however. Perhaps there'll be additional information that might make a big difference in the desirability index. And street price in six months will matter a lot as well.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 4:28 PM   #48

Default ............cute little bugger

I think it is kinda cute, can't see myself getting interested in it although I think my daughter might like it. I prefer the thought of an E-something that would be big and heavy with lots of real estate to grab onto, even more than the E-3, with a built in vertical grip, something to weight balance a Sigma 50-500 or that other one Zig has on order for the mobile transporter.

This thread is fun to review and I encourage the continuing posts otherwise I would have no clue of this and certainly no idea of what it may look like, so keep'em posting.

thanks,
_________
boBBrennan
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 4:37 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmCoder View Post
I think it is kinda cute, can't see myself getting interested in it although I think my daughter might like it.
_________
boBBrennan
Now that you mentioned it, my daughter would LOVE the white one....until I had to answer her question about "...where's the zoom toggle, dad?". Her interest would be gone as soon as I told here there was no zoom unless we (I) bought her another lens to put on it, at which point she probably would not like the size.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 5:44 PM   #50

Quote:
Now that you mentioned it, my daughter would LOVE the white one....until I had to answer her question about "...where's the zoom toggle, dad?". Her interest would be gone as soon as I told here there was no zoom unless we (I) bought her another lens to put on it, at which point she probably would not like the size.

Greg,

You and Bob have just raised a very interesting point and one of the main reasons that I keep thinking that this cameras greatest appeal is the retro look that so many of our generation are looking for-wether it be cars, motorcycles, or in this case cameras.

I may be way off the mark on my feelings, but everytime I talk with my daughter or son about cameras, they always talk about wanting a point and shoot that can do it all including video. A camera durable enough to take skiing, waterproof so they can shoot pics of their kids in the water,or take movies of the kids playing ball, lacrosse, or dance recitals as well as good zoom capability.

They are a part of the I-Pod and I-Phone generation that want it all in a simple easy to use package. Changing lenses, is simply not something they are about to do- How would you change a lens when your trying to take a video of your buddy or significant other while skiing down a mountain slope? or for that matter, would you do it at the beach when you wanted to take a picture of the baby playing in the sand?

I think Olympus really got it right when they came out a simple but feature packed waterproof P&S. Only trouble is that they take lousy pictures- I know because my daughter gave me one as a Christmas gift. The picture quality was so bad that I returned to the store for a credit.

Quite honestly, if Olympus would work on improving their waterproof line of P&S digicams, they could sell a boat load of them.

To me, this new retro edition, is interesting conversation and possibly may sell quite well but to the baby boomer generation that have extra money to buy the latest gadget. And if it looks cool, so much the better.

Me, I'm betting that the first camera company that comes out with a point & shoot type camera that is waterproof, has a very long zoom range, can take HD video, employs a larger sensor for higher IQ image capability will sell as many as they can make. AND, I'll get in line for that one.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote