Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 15, 2009, 6:00 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Greg,

Me, I'm betting that the first camera company that comes out with a point & shoot type camera that is waterproof, has a very long zoom range, can take HD video, employs a larger sensor for higher IQ image capability will sell as many as they can make. AND, I'll get in line for that one.

Zig
Other than the large sensor and waterproof piece, Panasonic is very close to this set of specs with their TZ series, and it takes good pictures. I can see the large zoom assembly moving out being a hindrance to getting the waterproof part done.

It's funny with that series, the most compact when zoomed out to max tele setting was the original TZ1 that used a folding optics-type zoom design, and it had the longest optical zoom reach of all of them at 350mm, but at 35mm, it was very lacking on the wide end.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 6:27 PM   #52

The way a lot of people are talking here, they expect Olympus to be producing the E-P1 to COMPETE with their low end range of DSLRs (E-420, E-450 & maybe E-520)

That's not what it's about IMO. This is a camera to address people's perception(non DSLR owners) that P&S cameras are just not good enough. And it addresses a need to want to change lenses. So you get a big sensor and a lens that will be an improvement on a P&S. (if the kit lens is not good enough, you can buy a different one!!)

Olympus have chosen to make the package smaller, probably almost as small as this format can get. It looks like it will be just small enough to carry in your pocket. If I am heading out for the day, but can't take a DSLR with me, (e.g. on business, just the laptop and bag), I will take a P&S. However, if I had an E-P1, I could take that, and at least be sure I could get good image quality & low noise.

No, it doesn't include a full feature set(by the looks of it), but it's not supposed to. Surely the photographers here have skills superior enough to be able to get superior results from this camera?

Ok, price will be important here. The head of Olympus DID say that the consumers who think DSLRs are too big and expensive should have an alternative. If they are true to thir word, this camera shouldn't be TOO expensive.

In terms of size, Olympus has it right.
We will now have 4/3 sized sensors in, from largest to smallest(referenced to the size of DSLRs):
Large:
Olympus E-3, E-30, Panasonic L10
Medium-Small:
Olympus E-420, E-450, E-520, E620
Small:
Panasonic G1, GH1
Extra Small:
Olympus E-P1

Olympus would have been wasting their time if they'd produced a camera similar in size to the G1/GH1, because the E-450 is not that much bigger. Olympus HAD to produce a MUCH SMALLER camera to complement its range, along with a limited feature set.
Panasonic had no compulsion to to do it, because the L10 is WAY bigger than the G1/GH1. Panasonic may produce one similar or SMALLER than the E-P1 later though!!!

The NEXT Olympus micro 4/3 will need to be a similar size to the E-P1, but with a fuller set of features, including an EVF.

Last edited by dnas; Jun 15, 2009 at 6:33 PM.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 6:41 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Other than the large sensor and waterproof piece, Panasonic is very close to this set of specs with their TZ series, and it takes good pictures. I can see the large zoom assembly moving out being a hindrance to getting the waterproof part done.

It's funny with that series, the most compact when zoomed out to max tele setting was the original TZ1 that used a folding optics-type zoom design, and it had the longest optical zoom reach of all of them at 350mm, but at 35mm, it was very lacking on the wide end.
When I went to Best Buy to return the Olympus P&S, I looked and almost bought the Panasonic TZ5. It had everything I wanted save one important feature-being waterproof. I wanted a digicam for use at the beach or on the water. Unfortunately, that was a dealbreaker because, other than that, it was the right size, captured good quality images(IMO), and I thought it had a very intuitive GUI.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 7:12 PM   #54

http://www.numerimatch.com/photo-vid...pen-e-p1/12652

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 7:58 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
When I went to Best Buy to return the Olympus P&S, I looked and almost bought the Panasonic TZ5. It had everything I wanted save one important feature-being waterproof. I wanted a digicam for use at the beach or on the water. Unfortunately, that was a dealbreaker because, other than that, it was the right size, captured good quality images(IMO), and I thought it had a very intuitive GUI.
I've had a TZ5 now for a little over a year. Took it last year to St. Croix, USVI:

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...96939589_cmkXQ

My girlfriend took it, along with her Canon Digital Elph, to the Canadian Rockies for a horse-back ride..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...44649736_MCueS

She's going back in around 3 weeks for another ride, and has already asked me for it again.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 8:49 PM   #56

Notice there's no flash?? Needs at least the Olympus small external flash.... at least red-eye won't be a problem!!
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:09 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
Notice there's no flash?? Needs at least the Olympus small external flash.... at least red-eye won't be a problem!!
I've seen images of one today. Look at the image on page 4 of this post. A not-so-good emplementation of a decent but not great or particularly powerful design. Think of the Nikon SB400 without the good useability because the flash head on the Olympus does not look to tilt up for bounce flash like the Nikon can. The Olympus unit I saw was stylish, but less than desireable.

*Update*- I see now that it's out, the version I would have HAD the most interest in, with the 17mm f2.8 and the VF, at $900, will cost around $100 more than the E620 DSLR two-lens kit!

I don't think so...

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 16, 2009 at 1:46 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 5:40 AM   #58

Default Thanks Greg

Hey Greg,
Thanks for the links to your TZ5 galleries. Great galleries! The TZ5 certainly is a capable performer.

Zig
Old Jun 16, 2009, 6:34 AM   #59

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1245128460.html
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 6:52 AM   #60

Default DPreview hands on preview

Apparently, the boys over at DPreview have had their hands on a preproduction model for the last month. The preview besides being very detailed includes a gallery with 49 images taken with the 14-42mm lens, the 50mm macro ZD lens, as well as the Panny 7-14mm lens

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusep1/

A lot of early enthusiasm for this new product over there.

Zig