Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 16, 2009, 6:08 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
Olympus have chosen to make the package smaller, probably almost as small as this format can get. It looks like it will be just small enough to carry in your pocket. If I am heading out for the day, but can't take a DSLR with me, (e.g. on business, just the laptop and bag), I will take a P&S. However, if I had an E-P1, I could take that, and at least be sure I could get good image quality & low noise.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. It's probably true that most folks in this forum really prefer "traditional" DSLRs and your point is good.

Because I shoot a lot of religious ceremonies I would love to not have mirror slap. So I could see myself getting a 43 version of the E3 if Oly produced one with a really good EVF and all the other features of the E3. I doubt that will happen soon, though.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jun 16, 2009 at 7:06 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 9:11 AM   #62

Now let's look what Panasonic makes

HANDS & FEET ? Flash & EVF ?

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 9:21 AM   #63

---> E-P1 Videos
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:36 AM   #64

Well, I must say I am pleased with Olympus's stated plans for additional MFT lenses. DPReview had an interview with an Olympus executive who promised a variety of lenses - as well as cameras with EVFs and other features - in the near future.

Again, my own personal view of the E-P1 - and MFT in general - is that it will fit into my kit as a second system. In essance, a MFT camera would take the place of, say, a megazoom P&S for me, slotting between my Pentax DSLR and my Panasonic LX3.

When viewed against any current P&S system, MFT makes a lot of sense in terms of image quality. What's more, it appears Olympus may have made major strides in noise reduction with the new camera - making it much more competitive with traditional DSLRs. I personally can stand a little noise/grain but the advancements will no doubt please pixel-peepers.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:36 AM   #65

Does anyone else here think DonalDuc is a plant by either Panasonic or Olympus (or both!) marketing execs in both this and the Panny DSLR forums?
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:14 PM   #66

Default ...it has crossed my thoughts !!

..........a couple times
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:26 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Does anyone else here think DonalDuc is a plant by either Panasonic or Olympus (or both!) marketing execs in both this and the Panny DSLR forums?

Hmmm, I'm glad you brought this up......... I once made the comment about an elephant in the living room regarding a curious series of posts a while back this sort of reminds of that situation.
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:42 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
If you go to the PanaLeica DSLR forum here, you'll see that he posts his own images a lot. If he's a plant they're disguising it really well, but I doubt it. He does have a different communication style than most - he often posts an image or link without any associated text, evidently taking the old saying that a picture is worth a thousand words very, very literally.

Ted
Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:48 PM   #69

BTW, many of the discussions of the E-P1 over at DPReview are really interesting, in terms of some improvements that probably will find their way into Oly 4/3 cameras. The image processor may well be better than anything they've done before (hard to say for sure without independent tests), and the E-P1 uses an SD card not an xD (halleluja).

Ted

PS: And there are a lot of folks that find it attractive but without an EVF they won't buy it.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jun 16, 2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 3:05 PM   #70

The XD card would have been both the kiss of death and the ultimate act of arrogance on the part of Olymous had they used it on this camera.

They need to implement SD card slots on all their compacts as well. If they keep trying to shove the xd card down everyones' throats..well...Sony might as well re-introduce the Betamax.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote