Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 16, 2009, 4:50 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The XD card would have been both the kiss of death and the ultimate act of arrogance on the part of Olymous had they used it on this camera.

They need to implement SD card slots on all their compacts as well. If they keep trying to shove the xd card down everyones' throats..well...Sony might as well re-introduce the Betamax.
Apparently Fuji dropped the xD card in their cams a year ago - Oly is finally catching up.

> Sony might as well re-introduce the Betamax

Ironically, since the (professional 1") beta format was much, much better than VHS, it was used by video professionals (like TV stations) until the DV format came out. A capitalist marketplace does not necessarily sort out the best when professionals view the technology, unlike when consumers do.

(grin)

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 5:03 PM   #72

SONY is moooore extreme ... I hate their MEMORY STICK !!!

Sorry, now again I must go to Oly/Pana plants ...
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 5:55 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Does anyone else here think DonalDuc is a plant by either Panasonic or Olympus (or both!) marketing execs in both this and the Panny DSLR forums?
If you read his posts, he kept saying the Panasonic GH1 had "won the contest" even before theOlympus E-P1 was released!!!!! (So he obviously doesn't work for Olympus!!!!!)
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 7:00 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
If you read his posts, he kept saying the Panasonic GH1 had "won the contest" even before theOlympus E-P1 was released!!!!! (So he obviously doesn't work for Olympus!!!!!)
Yes, I did see it 5-6 pages and a day or two ago...he just seems to be producing images and information about both I haven't seen enywhere else first.

The Panasonic is the better user model.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 1:52 AM   #75

It's a shame!

Olympus optical viewer = same price like (Ricoh) electr. viewer!

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 2:34 AM   #76

Yep .. Don's been posting on the Pana forums for some time... from memory inc when i was shooting with an FZ10 and posting!

Now back to the camera specs - I'm very suprised that Oly went with a 230k fixed 3" LCD instead of a Higher Res display, esp as its the primary mode of framing with the EP1. I'd rather that they had made the camera slightly taller and a wee bit thicker to accomodate a 460k articulating LCD and fit an EVF. I agree with DOn - they should have produced an external EVF if they wanted to keep the size small... theres no way i'd want to be lugging an OVF for each lens.

Its also clear that the EP1 doesn't have the new sensor in the G1H, whcih from all accounts is a real step up from all previous 4/3 sensors... (check out the review of the G1H over at IR):

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...H1/DMCGH1A.HTM

On a plus nte - the ISO6400 samples posted by DP aren't bad at all, so Oly have made a nice improvement on high ISO.

AF - from first reports its not as fast as Pana's AF in the G1/G1H, but then again IR noted that with the Panaleica Lumix G lenses AF performance improved quiet a bit. Its clear that the EP1 (1) isn't using Pana's AF system in the new cam and (2) there may be a firmware update or two for both camera and OLy lenses to improve performance.

SD card - its about time they dropped the xD card. I think if they had stuck to it that would have just put off potential buyers.

Regards the lenses - it looks as if Oly has gone for the same in camera software correction approach as Panasonic but to what degree is going to be interesting. Its also worth noting that they now are able to do AF confirmation with all 4/3 lenses.

Pricewise, its a wee bit spendy for the P&S market which they were aiming for .. but then again I might have been mistaken if that was the intended audience.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 4:46 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
On a plus nte - the ISO6400 samples posted by DP aren't bad at all, so Oly have made a nice improvement on high ISO.

Regards the lenses - it looks as if Oly has gone for the same in camera software correction approach as Panasonic but to what degree is going to be interesting. Its also worth noting that they now are able to do AF confirmation with all 4/3 lenses.

Pricewise, its a wee bit spendy for the P&S market which they were aiming for .. but then again I might have been mistaken if that was the intended audience.

Cheers

Harj

Hi Harj,

The first samples coming out using this new camera shows that Olympus has been hard at work improving DR.. There are some recently added images at Dpreview using the new 17mm lens. They are quite nice especially some of the high contrast shots.
http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/olympusep1_preview3/

As for the intended audience, reading Watanabe's interview makes it clear that the compact camera market is the one they're targeting. Although, my thinking is that it's still existing base of Oly users that will be the first adopters.

Regardless, I hope that this new product is a huge success for them.
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 7:40 AM   #78

Hmmmm.....

I don't think just existing Oly users will be interested. I know one guy who has a Canon 40D & L lenses, say he WILL buy an E-P1.

The price of the E-620 was sky high when it was first released, but now look at it!!!

And the Panasonic G1, released last September, I bought about a month back for the equivalent of around $620 USD, with BOTH kit lenses.

So I think if you give it until around November, the price will be quite competitive. And if the rumored up market micro 4/3 Oly is released in September, then all will be good!!! The GH1 drove the price of the G1 down quite quickly!!!!
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:42 PM   #79

I've been thinking about this a lot, and what I'd like (minority opinion) is a 43 version of my SP-550. The 43 sensor with it's great IQ, a very very good EVF, and a zoom lens with some range to it (the SP-550 lens is a 28 - 504 mm eq. but I could live without a lot of the long part of that range). Not pocketable but for me the ideal grab-and-go camera. Dunno if Oly is planning a 43 zoom with a decent range.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote