Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 28, 2009, 5:45 PM   #1

Default Vertical line in my E-510's viewfinder

Hi. I'm new here, so I would like to say hello to everyone first.

I just picked up the E-510 as a backup for my E-1. I put the 14-54mm and took about 100 shots. So far I'm happy with it w/NF OFF and Sharpness -2.

Anyway, when I look though the viewfinder, I see a very thin black vertical line at the center. I even see it w/power off. So, I played with the diopter adjustment dial a bit. As I rotate the dial to the right (+), the line is getting much sharper. As I rotate the dial to the left (-), the line is getting blurry.

That won't affect picture quality, so I shouldn't really care about it. But, I don't see it in my E-1's viewfinder. So, I'm curious to know what actually I'm seeing. Have you guys heard or seen this kind of stuff before? Is this because the E-510 uses the pentamirror? Is it the rooftop-like apex line which I'm seeing?

Thanks in advance.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2009, 8:20 PM   #2

Back at ya Hiro and welcome to the forum,

Your issue is one of the stranger issues I've heard in a while. Apparently, since the line doesn't show up in any of the photos you've taken, to this point, it must be somewhere between the diopter/OPV and the focusing screen.

Is this a new camera or did you buy a used E-510? If it's new, you just might want to send it back. If it's a preowned body, I would look at the focusing screen to see if it is broken in two or has debris on it.

If you're not sure where to look, take the lens off, and you'll see the mirror inside the camera body. Look directly up above the mirror and you'll see the focusing screen. Theoretically, the screen could be broken and still stay in place because it is held in place with a square frame that snaps into place. It may be that the screen has a hairline crack. Seems unlikely to me, but that's all I can think of. Well, the other thing to look at: is the screen laying flat in it's cradle. If it's not seated right, you might indeed be getting some sort of reflection.

If you're not sure how to take a screen out of the camera, there are a number of videos on U-Tube showing how to replace a focus screen on an E-500 or E510. It is relatively straightforward and the only tool you'll need is a pair of tweezers.

Hope this helps.
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 10:22 PM   #3

Hi Zig,

Thanks for your reply! It's a used one. I bought it from the famous auction site. It's in great shape though.

I looked at the focusing screen once briefly, but it was very hard to tell if there was a crack or not on it from the outside. I think I need to remove the focusing screen to examine it more carefully as you suggested. As the FS-2 focusing screen kit for my E-1 should be here in two days, I can use the pair of tweezers which comes with the FS-2 kit for that.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for your suggestion! I really appreciate it!

- Hiro
Old May 28, 2009, 11:00 PM   #4

I took some pics. Sorry about bad pics BTW....It's very hard to see, but you can kind of see the line which starts from the tip of the triangle. It looks like an apex line.

- Hiro

This shot was offset. But, I see like this.

Last edited by hiro1963; May 28, 2009 at 11:17 PM.