Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 4, 2009, 4:52 PM   #1

Default Subjects Made for the 9-18 Zuiko...

I went small today, carrying a two lens combination of the 9-18 and 40-150mm f4-5.6 Zuikos to Fair Park with my E520. Wound up using the 40-150 for two shots, and deleting one of those!

As for the 9-18, well...

The Age of Steam Railroad Museum is also located at Fair Park. These old engines are awesome. The larger wheels on these locomotives are as tall or taller than me. I needed every inch of view at 9mm to capture most of these..

I felt like a dwarf standing between these two steam giants..

In general, I am not a fan of live view, but here was a perfect arguement for the right use of it. This engine room was fenced off, but there was an opening just large enough I could fit my E520+9-18 over the top and rest it on the lesdge to shoot this. I have seen reviews that talked about too many controls and buttons on a DSLR. Talk about control/knob-crazy..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 5, 2009 at 2:25 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2009, 11:37 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Your compositions are top notch as is the technical quality of these images. I am a RR fan myself and always enjoy images of locomotives and the like. I had to laugh when I read your comment re. the number of knobs and controls in the cab of the steam locomotive!! Nicely done!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 2:04 PM   #3

.........terrific! Very nicely done Greg.

I like everything about steam locomotives. My hometown (Moberly, Mo.)was a Wabash railroad works town and the roundhouse was quite a sight and it was big, I remember it.

Here is a photo of how many roundhouse employees it takes to cover a big steam locomotive http://www.topix.com/album/detail/mo...NG8H6JFPIGLRI2
____
boBB

PS, ...........now I am again thinking I would like having a 9-18. THANX a lot for the wiggly feeling~~~~

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jun 6, 2009 at 12:13 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 6:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmCoder View Post
.........terrific! Very nicely done Greg.

I like everything about steam locomotives. My hometown (Moberly, Mo.)was a Wabash railroad works and the roundhouse was quite a sight and it was big, I remember it.

Here is a photo of how many roundhouse employees it takes to cover a big steam locomotive http://www.topix.com/album/detail/mo...NG8H6JFPIGLRI2
____
boBB
I love them too. But a steam locomotive spent 2/3 of its time in maintenance versus 1/3 of the time hauling, so diesel-electrics had no trouble taking over the industry. I miss the romanticism but understand the transition.

I have taken a couple of cross-country trips on Amtrak and west of the Mississippi, where BNSF maintains the track, it is an enjoyable trip (assuming you have a LOT of time). But east of the Mississippi the tracks are in bad shape and the ride is awful. You can experience that ride as follows: sit in a chair and have someone stand behind the chair and push you from side to side constantly - no stopping. Determine how long you put up with that before you get out of the chair and punch them in the nose. Then decide if you would take a 1.5-day trip east of the Mississippi.

(grin)

That said, a trip from Chicago to the west (on either of the routes) is a really good experience, as long as you understand ahead of time that the passenger cars are getting pretty old. The time I did it, it was a business trip and I took my laptop and a bunch of work to do. Instead, I spend the entire trip laid back looking out the window.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote