Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 8, 2009, 7:44 AM   #1

Default Final Entry in Bird competition

Well after all the photos that I've taken, and I must have taken about a thousand (it seems that way anyways), This is my entry into the bird competition. A little boring, I know, but it's the best that I got to my eyes.

Regardless of the outcome, I'm happy that Gw suggested this competition as it forced me to experiment and get to know my camera. Also, I forced myself to try and capture birds in flight. I spent 3 evenings at the water's edge, waiting and watching for Terns and Gulls to fly by then try to take their image. A really good exercise(not to mention that I got out).

It also made me realize how inadequate a 200mm lens is when trying to photograph birds. A 400mm lens is most likely the starting point with a telecon added as well. While it won't help me in this competition, I did end up finding a used EC-14 Teleconverter which I bought over the weekend. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Also can't wait to see what you guys post as your final entry.

regards,
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2009, 8:21 AM   #2

Default Great Yellow Color!

Birds are a frustrating subject. I'll find myself at the Arboretum trying to get a shot or two because of the flora as it seems to really attract a number of them, but they can be very difficult to catch, and even the 70-300 can sometimes be insufficiently long.

The one lens currently out there that probably is the best choice for the most avid Olympus birder is the Sigma 50-500.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:17 AM   #3

With all the rain that we have been having for the past several weeks, I decided to go with the wet duck for my entry.

E-30 w/Sigma 50-500mm @ ISO 800 1/500s f/11 348mm

The Sigma 50-500mm is the longest affordable option with AF for our FT bodies, but I find the IQ at fl greater than 400mm to be lacking in comparison to ZD lenses.
The sweet spot seems to be in the 300-400mm range @ f/8-11 on this lens.
satire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by satire23 View Post
The Sigma 50-500mm is the longest affordable option with AF for our FT bodies, but I find the IQ at fl greater than 400mm to be lacking in comparison to ZD lenses.
The sweet spot seems to be in the 300-400mm range @ f/8-11 on this lens.
That's still quite a bit more useful range than the 50-200, even with a 1.4TC, or even the 70-300. The 400-500mm range of the 50-500, I would imagine, is still decent if you stop it down a little. That it is already as slow as f6.3 really means the light better be good though!

If Sigma made their 100-300 f4 HSM in 4/3rd's mount, that is probably the one Sigma lens I would consider buying...well, actually there is another...the 120-300 f2.8! I had a chance to hold one of those at a dog show where the official photog, who was using a Nikon outfit, had one. It is HUGE, but would be great at the track for evening races.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 11:55 AM   #5

well, i slacked off due to weather & laziness. now theres not a bird in sight, no birdly activity. maybe some will show up sometime today.
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 2:30 PM   #6

Default Hey Gw, I think the competition is over

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillys View Post
well, i slacked off due to weather & laziness. now theres not a bird in sight, no birdly activity. maybe some will show up sometime today.

Hi Gw,

In one of your earlier posts, you set the contest period between 5/25 and 6/7. Here is your statement:

"rules & guidelines
competitors using an oly camera, one entry per contestant.

a 14 day period to finalize your entry. in other words, your can change your entry up till the end of contest, but only 1 entry per contestant. use the edit button here if available, or this can be done by replacing the file on the host's site, so that the thread here only shows one image per contestant.

Each entry must have been taken the date of the start of the contest or later. In other words, don't pull out something you took a year ago. please make exif available.

Must be live, wild birds. no captives, tame, or taxidermist variety.

judging will commence after contest is closed. so we have 14 days between sunrise monday, 5/25 and sunset sunday 6/7 to git r' done."

regards,
Zig
Old Jun 8, 2009, 4:17 PM   #7

LOL, i'm really getting old. maybe next time i'll read the rules
Duh, well your lucky, because i would have had the best bird pic ever.

on the way onto the property a little while ago, i found why there are no birds around - or squirrels for that matter. a beautiful swallow tail kite is cruising the neighborhood. no chance of getting a pic of that one though. awesome bird.

Last edited by gwillys; Jun 8, 2009 at 6:23 PM.
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 4:35 PM   #8

Default RE: Great yellow color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Birds are a frustrating subject. I'll find myself at the Arboretum trying to get a shot or two because of the flora as it seems to really attract a number of them, but they can be very difficult to catch, and even the 70-300 can sometimes be insufficiently long.

The one lens currently out there that probably is the best choice for the most avid Olympus birder is the Sigma 50-500.

I gave up shooting birds in flight with the 70-300mm lens. It was just too painfully slow to work with when set to anything but MF. The only way that I could make it work was to use it in full manual focus mode - and then when there was a lot of light. I sold the 70-300mm - which I admit was a big mistake because I could have used it for many other purposes.
but going forward, if I stick with this bird shooting, I'm going to look at getting the 50-500mm Sigma.

I was hoping to see if GW got anything worthwhile with his Minolta 300mm lens or if anyone had some success using an older legacy lens in the 400mm range. There are a fair amount of long lenses made for 35mm that are available at pretty reasonable pricing. For the amount of use I'd give the 50-500mm, it would be hard to justify the cost.

One thing you mentioned that I forgot to comment on and that is the great yellow color of the Goldfinch. I really had an issue with the 50-200mm lens trying to lock in on the proper focus whenever I tried to focus on one of the really bright male goldfinches. I guess the color was too uniform and the focus motor would just hunt back and forth endlessly.

Zig
Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:20 PM   #9

??shouldn't these be posted in the original competition post with the other entries?
That would keep everyone's shots together on the same thread.

Let's fly back to the original thread!!

Last edited by Steven R; Jun 8, 2009 at 10:29 PM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 7:20 PM   #10

Default Do the Competition again

I think you guys really enjoyed the challenge of a competition but got frustrated by the weather and other impediments.

I think you should consider doing the competition again, for a longer time, so y'all could enjoy it. You all do great bird pix.

Just my 2 worth.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote