Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 16, 2009, 1:34 PM   #1

Default E510 Bracketing

Hey guys,

Been a while since I was in here but I've just now come across something that I'm not very happy with on the E510 and I'm hoping someone here who uses the same body may know another way to do this.

When I had my E500, exposure bracketing was great. One click and all three shots were saved to the card. I find out now that with the E510, you have to press the shutter 3 times to get each bracketed shot, or use the sequential shooting mode and hold the shutter button until all three shots are taken.

My problem with this is, even though the E510 is 3 FPS sequential, there can still be significant movement in those .3 seconds between each shot. This does not serve me well if I want to take all three shots and layer them to get the best lighting in a highly contrasted scene. I realize a tripod would solve the problem but only in situations where I can use one and that's not always the case.

Is there another method to do this that I'm missing? I've gone through the manual and even searched online but they all say the shutter needs to open three times for bracketing.
cristovao12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristovao12 View Post
When I had my E500, exposure bracketing was great. One click and all three shots were saved to the card.
No, on the E-500 to do exposure bracketing you had to set the DRIVE mode to BKT, and then you'd have to hold down the shutter release to capture all three exposures. If you pressed and released the shutter release you'd only capture one image, the next time you pressed the shutter release it would capture the next exposure step, and the third time would be the third, and then it would start all over again.

Now if you were doing WB bracketing on the E-500, that WOULD create all three images from the single captured image as it's just changing the WB setting from the initial RAW data captured.

If you still have your E-500, suggest you get it out and try these two different types of bracketing as they work differently.

Quote:
I find out now that with the E510, you have to press the shutter 3 times to get each bracketed shot, or use the sequential shooting mode and hold the shutter button until all three shots are taken.
That's correct. It works that way on the E-330 too (E-330 came out after E-500 but before E-510).

Quote:
Is there another method to do this that I'm missing? I've gone through the manual and even searched online but they all say the shutter needs to open three times for bracketing.
To do exposure bracketing it HAS to capture three individual shots because the camera is changing shutter speed (in P,A, or M mode) or aperture (in S mode) for every shot. Unfortunately now it's a two-step process (set how much you want to exposure bracket and set the drive mode to sequential; made much more sense and less confusing to set the DRIVE mode to BKT).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 5:53 PM   #3

Default E510 Bracketing

Sadly I don't have the E500 anymore, but that must've been what I had used when I did have it (the WB bracketing).

Thanks for the clarification and info!
cristovao12 is offline   Reply With Quote