Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:38 AM   #1

Default Some more bird shots-are you bored yet?

Since I've been become to rather enjoy shooting birds this season, I thought I'd actually do something positive. So, I volunteered to monitor an Osprey nest for the season. The research work is being done for the Mass Audibon Society for the purpose of getting facts as to how many nesting pairs there are in the Cape Cod region as well as how many chicks are born and then survive.

In an attempt to remember what I've seen each time I visit the nest, I try and take images of the activity at the nest. In the process, I'm hoping to improve my skills at shooting BIF. One thing has already been determined; as good as the 50-200mm lens is in combination with the EC-14, I gotta get me a bigger lens if i'm going to continue with this endeavor.

Some photos I took this morning. All with the E30, 50-200mm lens and EC-14 Telecon. Arpeture Priority.

I'm adding more images each time I visit the nest. If you're interested in the gallery, here's the link:

http://www.pbase.com/zig123/osprey

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:53 AM   #2

Looking in the crystal ball, I see the Sigma 50-500 in your future. That and the 1.4TC, assuming they work together, should do the trick! The lens by itself may even be enough.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:21 AM   #3

Default .....that is terrific Zig

The volunteer part is commendable and for a worthwhile cause IMO, thanks for doing it.
----------------------------------------

Greg just got under me on the lens, I too see BigMa ' ........comin round the mountain' and soon, you've now reason enough.

Zig what does Wacky Roger use for making the magnificent shots he puts to the Wildlife forum http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...ng-talons.html
____
boBB

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jun 17, 2009 at 2:39 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 1:23 PM   #4

Hey Zig !!

Now those are my kind of birds.. much better the wee ducks, pigeons and gesse that I get to deal with!

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:03 PM   #5

Default thanks to all

Hi guys and thanks.

Yes, I'm thinking that if I'm seriously going to continue this area of photography, I've got to add more focal length, which means a Sigma 50-500mm for an Oly user.

It's fun to joke about the Sigmonster 300-800mm lens. But that ain't happenin'.

Bob, Wacky Roger, as are a lot of the regular poster in the Wildlife forum, really quite good at capturing wonderfully detailed and composed images of birds. I wish I knew what lens he was using. I know a number of the folks there use the 50-500mm Sigma with good results.

Last weekend, I saw a Sigma 50-500mm on EBay listed for an Oly Dslr at a buy it now price of $600US. I almost pulled the trigger on it. But the price just sounded too good to be true. It lasted about a day.

In the meantime, I've got to get my thinking cap on as far as getting closer to my subjects so I can use the equip. I've got.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 4:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post

Last weekend, I saw a Sigma 50-500mm on EBay listed for an Oly Dslr at a buy it now price of $600US. I almost pulled the trigger on it. But the price just sounded too good to be true. It lasted about a day.

It could have been too good to be true, but in this case, you never know. Most third-party lenses go for a song second-hand, compared to what the owner paid for it new. This could have been the second or even third try because they couldn't sell it at a higher price.

I have seen that 300-800mm, $10,000 Sigma lens listed at B&H. That is a huge quandry for me. There are so many Sigma lenses they don't sell in 4/3rd's mount that would probably be great sellers, like the 100-300 f4 HSM that might be the best tele zoom Sigma makes other than the 120-300 f2.8, yet someone decided not to and yet offer this monster of a lens that I bet never leaves the shelves at B&H.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 17, 2009 at 4:09 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 7:27 PM   #7

Default Some more Little ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hey Zig !!

Now those are my kind of birds.. much better the wee ducks, pigeons and gesse that I get to deal with!

Cheers

Harj

Some form the deck...

E-3/50-200/EC-14

At the Jelly:

Mama Sparrow.

Papa Sparrow

Papa Finch

Mama Finch:

And Baby Finch waits

Dull Oriole, the bright males weren't visiting at the time.

And the wren just watches.

Sorry to suck up bandwidth,

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 7:38 PM   #8

Hi Greg

Now those are fab.. tack sharp !

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Greg

Now those are fab.. tack sharp !

Cheers

Harj
Thanks Harj,

I only had to step out on the deck and the birds are quite trusting. Others on the board have to work a bit harder.

An even smaller bird.

Greg

Last edited by fldspringer; Jun 17, 2009 at 9:17 PM.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 6:34 AM   #10

Bravo.

Matt
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote