Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 19, 2009, 11:16 AM   #1

Default Thursday Night at the Track

Thursdays are good evenings to go to the track. The crowds are light, and it's $1 hot dog night! Last night was also my best in terms of hitting bets right. $8 total, bet in $2 increments over 4 races brought in $27 picking 3 winners out of 4. Woohoo, I should quit my full-time job!

The horses won't go too far with the gates turned this way, but I thought it made for a good snap shot with my E1 and 50-200 SWD..

I love this image. The two riders look so serious, but it looks like one horse told the other a joke, and the other horse liked it..

Everyone has their own favorites. I think these grey thoroughbreds are gorgeous..

Chasing a tail..

The only bad thing about evening races is the extra-high contrast. The sun is setting at the riders backs as they go down the final stretch, so there's a lot of shadows to try and open up..

Then, after the sun goes down, it's all high ISO shooting. On this one, I used the E1 at ISO 1600 and panned since the lower shutter speeds meant I could no longer freeze the action very well..

I knew the owner of the #1 horse in the 5th race, so I shot a couple in the paddock area. By this time of the day, I was having to use ISO 800..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2009, 3:19 PM   #2

Default Hi Greg,

I can't help but notice how much you're using the E-1 these days. Does the E-520 ever see the light of day?

The evening and high ISO shots look very clean. Did you run them through Noiseware?

Here on the Cape, high contrast has not been a problem these days. The weathers' been awful with cloudy foggy and rainy conditions. MOTS, through the weekend.

P.s. 27bucks, huh...wow!!

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 3:32 PM   #3

Hi Zig.

Funny you mentioned the E520, as I am going to start carrying it and a smaller set of lenses to lower some of the weight I've been hauling around all the time. I took the E520 to the track the previous Thursday and before that on a Saturday to Fair Park, so it's not just sitting around, but I do need to use it more.

The day I took the E520 to Fair Park and went to the train museum, the combination of it with the 9-18 and 40-150 Zuikos felt pretty wonderful in that little bag compared to the E1 and 12-60 and 50-200.

We went through a period of overcast skies and (somewhat comfortable temperatures), but that's long gone.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 7:27 PM   #4

Default I Always Yor pics at the track.

You capture the essence of race day. You do an extraordinary job.

Horses have such personality. The way they interact with each other as well as their handlers make them special. When the gates open, they are all business.

Thanks,

Greg (the Northern one)
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 9:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I can't help but notice how much you're using the E-1 these days. Does the E-520 ever see the light of day?

Zig
I packed my E520 yesterday, and not with the 50-200, but the 40-150 f4-5.6 kit zoom, so I would not feel like I had been totting a brick by the end of the day.

It worked well enough. There were definitely more misses shooting this type stuff than I ever had with the E1/50-200 combination, or even the E520 and 50-200 combination for that matter, but it sure was tons easier to carry and the 40-150 can work shooting this type subject in good light.

You can definitely do worse than the 40-150 Zuiko..

Old Jun 28, 2009, 9:37 AM   #6

Default ......there again, tech skill prevails

Greg,
..............the 520/40-150 !!!! That combo surely makes for good sense on a day like yesterday.

Yep, these photos do show ("You can definitely do worse than the 40-150 Zuiko.."). I've not used my OLD 40-150 in quite a while, I just may take it along on the E-300 the next ballgame for some dugout shots.

____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 9:58 AM   #7

Default Hi Greg,

Yet another fine series of horse racing images!!!

As nice as these are, I really do believe the E-1/50-200mm combo provides another level of IQ (at least to my eyes). Having said that, if I'd have never seen your earlier posts, I would say these are just fabulous.

Zig
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Yet another fine series of horse racing images!!!

As nice as these are, I really do believe the E-1/50-200mm combo provides another level of IQ (at least to my eyes). Having said that, if I'd have never seen your earlier posts, I would say these are just fabulous.

Zig
I tend to agree, and so did a co-worker a while back who isn't into photography at all but who owns and loves horses. I was stunned when she asked me about one series compared to another, and it was the E1 images she preferred without me telling her what the difference was between the two sets. The 50-200 also does a much better job between 150-200mm in separating the in-focus subjects from the out of focus background than the 40-150 does at 150mm, even when stopped down a little.

Despite being the older model, using the E1 in continuous AF with all three AF points enabled is a superior experience vs. the same settings with the E520. I imagine you would see the same thing to some extent with the E30 compared to your previous E510 when shooting baseball action. I saw your images from the Cape Cod League. Excellent!

Like Bob commented, yesterday was an awful day here. 100+ degrees and really bad air quality. I spent a lot of time in the clubhouse airconditioning between races and skipped most of the turf races, which accounted for 4 of the 9 races while I was there. There's a lot of wavy line haze in the backgrounds of these latest images compared to similar shots on other days and the overall light just wasn't as good as I've had in the past, even when shooting in bright, open sunlight.

It's a good thing they don't subject these animals to running in these conditions past July 26. They probably should shorten it even further.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 28, 2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 5:16 AM   #9

Default Thanks, Greg

[QUOTE=Greg Chappell;980433]I tend to agree, and so did a co-worker a while back who isn't into photography at all but who owns and loves horses. I was stunned when she asked me about one series compared to another, and it was the E1 images she preferred without me telling her what the difference was between the two sets. The 50-200 also does a much better job between 150-200mm in separating the in-focus subjects from the out of focus background than the 40-150 does at 150mm, even when stopped down a little.

Despite being the older model, using the E1 in continuous AF with all three AF points enabled is a superior experience vs. the same settings with the E520. I imagine you would see the same thing to some extent with the E30 compared to your previous E510 when shooting baseball action. I saw your images from the Cape Cod League. Excellent!

QUOTE]

For me, the E-30 is a huge step up from the E-510. Not so much the image quality of still subjects or landscape/scenery photos, because , in large measure , the IQ is close (although I do like the E-30 output more). It's when I try to take action shots, baseball being a perfect example (BIF another) that I really see an advantage. The AF is far superior (IMHO). I still have my camera set to single (center) point AF though, as I just trust it more-but my keeper rate of images that are totally in focus is considerably higher than with the E-510. Now some of that is probably due to my getting a bit more adept at taking photos. But the dual control wheels, viewfinder, and ISO controls of the E-30 also make it much easier to get a good shot.

As a user of an E-500, then E-510 I can't stress enough the difference of being able to look thru the viewfinder of the E-30 and seeing all the information displayed at the bottom of the screen. For the most part, I can view and make changes to the settings without having to take my eye off the OPV. That to me, alone, is worth buying the E-30.

Sorry for getting off on a tangent, but as you can tell, I get excited when I start thinking about the differences between the pro level and semi pro level Olympus dslrs vs the entry level dslrs.

Zig