Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 19, 2009, 3:11 PM   #1

Default How small is small... the new Pana 7-14 F4 m43

I spotted this thread about the new Pana 7-14 F4 over at a new forum and what got my eye was how small the lens is. If you;ve seen the G1 and its 14-45 you'll know its a small lens indeed .. the UWA shockingly is even smaller! There's also a few shots with the lens, and I'd like to hear what Greg thinks about the IQ of those pics esp as he has the 9-18 and had the 7-14F4 .

Here's the thread:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7913

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2009, 3:21 PM   #2

I have seen some images of the Panny 7-14 lens itself, sitting next to, and on a G1. It is tiny.

Hard to say a whole lot about image quality. I have seen some images and they definitely look good enough. The issue (for some, at least), is how much processing is going on in-camera to make them look that good, where the Digital Zuiko version is taking care of everything optically so the images are exceptional whether you are shooting in-camera JPEG's or RAW.

I have seen a post at DPReview where evidently the Olympus engineers or some spokesperson said the E-P1 is doing the same in-camera correcting as the G1, I guess to keep things the same across the micro four-thirds system, so evidently there really is an optical penalty involved in making the Panasonic lens as physically small as they have, meaning there's a good reason why the Zuiko is as big as it is.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 4:40 PM   #3

Hi Greg

I read the same interview over at DPR and was suprised that Oly decided to do the same in-camera corrections to their m43 lens designs as Panasonic. I had assumed that they would have decided on going for he best optical quality possible while keeping the size reasonably small. I'm wondering whether there will be a standard kit and Pro/HG lens range from Oly and also PanaLeica at a later date. Its also strange that there was no lens road map announced as well.

Regards the Pana 7-14 , I had assumed that it would have been quiet a bit bigger than the 14-45 thats the kit lens on the G1/G1H but looking at those shots I still suprised at how small it is. Its made me think whether they Oly or Pana could make a lens with similar optical quality as the 7-14 SHG and keep it small ?

Cheers

Harj

: o )>
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 5:39 PM   #4

I'm not so sure we should expect a pro line of these cameras. That doesn't really look to be the market they are after.

Panasonic looks to me to be the leader in this format as well. They have less to lose in designing a more complete system since they have no DSLR system to compete against it.

This may be where we see faster Olympus primes that will never happen in the standard DSLR system, but I'm not sure lenses like the 35-100 f2 or the like are in keeping with the system remaining as tiny as it seems they want to make it.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 20, 2009 at 3:04 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote