Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 27, 2009, 8:25 PM   #1

Default The boys of Summer

Decided to go to a Cape Cod Baseball League game today. First of the season. A game between the Cotuit Ketleers and the Chatham Anglers.

Brought the E-30, 50-200mm ED & an EC-14. Arpeture priority,

Ump said he was out, the photo looks otherwise:

A few others can be seen at:
http://www.pbase.com/zig123/2009ccbl
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2009, 6:23 AM   #2

A few more from yesterday after I'd had a chance to review and PP.
I must say that using the E-30 has become a pleasure. Setting the mode to arpeture and letting the camera do the work is really very nice compared to what I did last year with the E-510. The only add'l change I made was to increase ISO as the evening progressed.

I really haven't had to worry about blown highlights with the E-30 set to Arpeture mode. AF speed is really an improvement over the E-510. Of course, it also helps to be using the 50-200mm vs the 70-300mm that I used last year. The 50-200mm is fast and snaps into focus in comparison the 70-300mm. I pretty much left the EC-14 Telecon on for the entire time. I should have taken it off and tried a series w/out it. But, that's for the next time I go to a game.

Old Jun 28, 2009, 7:31 AM   #3

Default .......my kind of baseball photos

hey Zig,
................of course you know these are exactly the baseball shots I like.

Yours are done so well, every photo tells a game story.... framing and exposure is right on for my liking.

The EC-14 is a piece I would like to have one day, it seems to work very well with the 50-200, seems I've nearly forgotten my 70-300 though I carry it with me to all the games.

We are still playing but I've missed 3 of the 4 games this weekend, just too hot.... it got to 100+ way too early this year.

Thanks for sharing the 'summer joy'
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 8:40 AM   #4

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmCoder View Post
hey Zig,
................of course you know these are exactly the baseball shots I like.

Yours are done so well, every photo tells a game story.... framing and exposure is right on for my liking.

The EC-14 is a piece I would like to have one day, it seems to work very well with the 50-200, seems I've nearly forgotten my 70-300 though I carry it with me to all the games.

We are still playing but I've missed 3 of the 4 games this weekend, just too hot.... it got to 100+ way too early this year.

Thanks for sharing the 'summer joy'
____
boBB

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the kind words...I'm improving but still have a ways to go before my shots are as good as the ones you regularly post.

I tried hard this time out to arrive at the game early to get a good position on the 1st base line, about even with the bag. I've noticed that there are a lot more enthusiasts with their cameras at these games all vying for the best locations to shoot from. I had hoped to capture a few more plays in the field as this was a good game, with plenty of close plays. But too often, I found myself getting caught up in the game and forgetting to anticipate about what was going to happen next. There was a great play at first base with the pitcher throwing to the bag and finally he picked off the runner. I was in great position to get the shot. Only trouble was that I was so immersed in the action that I zoned out and forgot to press the shutter.

The EC-14 really is a great teleconveter as it doesn't appear to degrade image quality at all. I'd been debating for some time wether or not to get one as the price is pretty steep. Especially, since unlike a lens, I didn't know how often I'd actually use it. But for taking bird photos it really helps. B&H had a used one listed a couple of weeks ago at a great price. So, I scoffed it up.

As for temp., I don't like it when it gets as hot as what you guys typically get in the Summer. But, so far, this year is turning out to be quite a bummer. Were getting one good day out of 5. It's been mostly showery, cloudy and cool. Great weather to grow mushrooms.

Zig
Old Jun 28, 2009, 9:14 AM   #5

.........occasionally I get the urge and look around for the 14 & 25 devices then when I don't find any used ones I forget about them for a while, but definitely the EC-14 is on my wish list.

My newest toy will be the new Apple iphone, I've wanted one since the 1st generation so last week I ordered the new 3Gs machine and hopefully will get it this week (Wed). Since I am a geek going stale I figured I should get this new one right away and stop saying, "I shudda done it".

As for your photog position at the game it was a good look at the game, I actually prefer just a bit farther down line so as to give a little better angle to 2nd base and the stretch to home at around 130 ft will crop out from the 50-200 very nicely to an effective 50ft with little degrading to a well exposed shot with the lens only...... the EC-14 surely extends that. I'm getting excited again over it ...can you tell.

Always, it is is difficult to make the 1st & 3rd base shots from either of those lines when on the field side of the bags so I move from line to line a couple times during a game depending on how the game is playing, of course sometimes 1st is the only real thing going one so why not camp there, I often do.

I too get caught up in watching a play as you say, especially when it is my grandson turning the play from SS and immediately afterward tell myself, "that was the play I came to see AND photograph, but the memory of watching it is good enough for me".

Gotta run Zig, thanks for the exchange
____
boBB

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jun 28, 2009 at 2:53 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote